Calories burned teaching

Options

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    You've obviously already made up your mind that you're going to log?
    You cheat yourself and no one else if you over estimate them.
    I wouldn't advise it. If you're hungry go for a walk to earn more calories or find something like a salad, apple, or grapes to eat.

It's your weight loss journey you're going to be the one who decides if you succeed or fail.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The reason I wanted to, to be honest with you, is that I wanted to justify eating a little more when I got home. Cuz I was starving last night!
    I probably wouldn't specifically log it, but you shouldn't stress out if you go over calories a bit on those days either. I used to tend bar as a second job, and standing for long periods of time really does take its toll on your body, so I do agree with others that its not "cardio", its definitely burning more calories than usual....

I see what you're saying, don't log it, but don't stress if I go over my cals a little on those days. Sounds reasonable.

Shoot! But this takes me right back to the problem I'm having which is the numbers. I have a spreadsheet where I track my numbers and I know for a FACT when I've lost a pound because I have a system (LOL). If I don't log, it's gonna throw off my numbers. I guess when I weigh in on Sunday I will see by how much.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Standing is not exercise.

It is not sedentary either. Sedentary is for being sat down constantly. You will need more calories from being stood teaching, than you would being sat at a desk.

If it was a 5 day a week job I'd change the activity level from sedentary upwards.

Why not check the difference in cals between lightly active and sedentary for the week, and then divide the difference by 7 so you know how much extra to add for each day.

I don't understand why you quoted me on this, since you are obviously not talking to me.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I teach PE and don;'t account for doing the stuff i do at work which can on some days be very energetic and on my feet a lot.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    The reason I wanted to, to be honest with you, is that I wanted to justify eating a little more when I got home. Cuz I was starving last night!
    I probably wouldn't specifically log it, but you shouldn't stress out if you go over calories a bit on those days either. I used to tend bar as a second job, and standing for long periods of time really does take its toll on your body, so I do agree with others that its not "cardio", its definitely burning more calories than usual....

I see what you're saying, don't log it, but don't stress if I go over my cals a little on those days. Sounds reasonable.

Shoot! But this takes me right back to the problem I'm having which is the numbers. I have a spreadsheet where I track my numbers and I know for a FACT when I've lost a pound because I have a system (LOL). If I don't log, it's gonna throw off my numbers. I guess when I weigh in on Sunday I will see by how much.
    Bottom line is....you need to do whatever works best for YOU...as long as you're careful not to overestimate the calories burned, you should be fine.

This should be helpful (but it looks like your 50 cal per hour estimate is spot-on). http://www.livestrong.com/article/73916-calories-burned-standing-vs.-sitting/
  • jennajava
    Options
    Yes but you do that everyday. I teach everyday and so that's a part of my daily activity so it doesn't count. But that usually goes from 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.. But last night (and tonight) is from 8:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m..

Is it worth it to you to go over and slow down your weight loss? If so, log it.
  • jennajava
    Options

Why are you doing that? MFP does it FOR you. That seems like it's just extra work on yourself.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

I have a spreadsheet too. <3

Waiting to see on Sunday is a perfect idea.
  • mom2my5sons
    mom2my5sons Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    1300 calories a day is pretty low. So rather than feel like you need to justify it to yourself, if you're starving, just eat! Just make a healthy choice. Listen to your body.

exactly
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you burn 7-900 calories working out and only eat 1300..you need to be eating more anyways. You don't need to add more exercise to justify it. You're SUPPOSED to eat back most of what you burn. GO EAT! And I understand, I am a substitute teacher and am always wayyyy hungrier on days I teach, so I usually eat a little bit more ,because I know I've burned more than I would've sitting on the couch at home.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I think 50 cal is reasonable.

I think so too.

That seems low. I think at least 300-320/hour.
  • jennajava
    Options
    I think 50 cal is reasonable.

I think so too.

That seems low. I think at least 300-320/hour.

Why not 700? We don't know what her weight is.
  • ashleigh2311
    ashleigh2311 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't log any extra work teaching as calories burned, I just set my activity level at slightly active. Although sometimes I think it should be higher because I am an SK teacher, and I certainly don't get a lot of sitting around with 5 year olds. :)

Tell me about it!!! I wish i had the energy levels that the kids all seem to have!!!
    I work with year 1 (UK) which is 5-6 year olds, and it certainly isnt a job that gives you much time to even sit down let alone relax for half a second! love the kids though so its worth it even if it is very exhausting!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb. Don't log something you do on a daily basis. instead go to settings and update your diet profile. This will adjust the calories if you are constantly on your feet. Don't cheat yourself. Only log in actual workouts.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    oh man, i got the sickest calorie burn yesterday. i was doing some hard core browsing, like memebase, failblog, a little mfp, and some lolcats. it was hard, especially having to navigate around all those "stop SOPA" banners and black outs, but i did it.

how do i log all that??

IDIOT
    lol - agreed
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    oh man, i got the sickest calorie burn yesterday. i was doing some hard core browsing, like memebase, failblog, a little mfp, and some lolcats. it was hard, especially having to navigate around all those "stop SOPA" banners and black outs, but i did it.

how do i log all that??

IDIOT

[rofl]
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    lolcat.jpg
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    lolcat.jpg

ffffahahahaha
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm a Sub Teachers Aid in Special Education and I never log my work hours.. I just adjust it to lightly active and leave it at that.

If you do p90X at least 3 days a week, then you are prob. lightly active anyway.. So I wouldn't worry too much.
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think there have been some harsh replies to this thread - i thought we were supposed to be supportive - i think if OP feels that this is activity above her normal day then it is fine to log it - if its logged at 50 cals and hour i dont feel that is unreasonable. I agree that working additional evening hours on top of a day job will make you feel hungry but if OP is only planning on an extra 100 cals (for 2 hours work) then i think this is a reasonable plan.