Cereal for Breakfast?

Options
I usually always eat cereal for breakfast. I don't eat the sugary cereals....For example, all this week I have been eating Kix with 1%milk.....Is cereal okay to eat for breakfast when I am on a diet? I always eat protein for lunch such as an egg sandwich, fish sandfish, tuna or chicken....

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    What ever works. Only you can make that decision. If you can still lose and eat your cereal, do it. Watch portion size and stay within your goals and you will lose.
  • patunia63
    Options
    I always like to have a little protein for breakfast, especially if I am exercising hard on a regular basis. I have been having a yogurt-greek has more protein, mixed with a Mueslix type of cereal. It sounds weird but its like putting granola on yogurt just much less fat and sugar. I feel like I stay fuller longer with the protein. Most everything I read about nutrition and diet suggests a protein portion for breakfast. Your body should tell you, if it is working for you stick with it. If you are having hunger or fatigue you may want to try adding a little. Good luck!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine to eat low sugar cereal for breakfast but I would suggest incorporating more protein. It's all about balance. You should eat a balance of carbs/protein/fat for every meal or snack. Right now you're very heavy on carbs and very low on protein and fat for your breakfast. Have a smaller serving of cereal and add an egg or meat (turkey breast, chicken breast, tuna, etc.) or drink more milk for breakfast. For added fat you could eat a few RAW (unprocessed) nuts like almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc.
  • davecreed
    davecreed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I usually always eat cereal for breakfast. I don't eat the sugary cereals....For example, all this week I have been eating Kix with 1%milk.....Is cereal okay to eat for breakfast when I am on a diet? I always eat protein for lunch such as an egg sandwich, fish sandfish, tuna or chicken....

check the Glycemic index website and look up what serials are under 60 on the GI scale and which ones are higher. You'd be surprised to see tha

(t things you thought would be good are high on the GI scale while others, like frosted mini wheats...are as low as apples on the GI scale...add milk to it and it lowers it even further!!!! (source for that is the GI website FAQ...mixing GI foods)

** rice krispies...VERY HI on the GI charts...search whatever cereals you like and make a list! :)
  • davecreed
    Options
    Food GI Value
    All Bran with Fiber 38
    Muesli 43
    Bran Buds 47
    FIFTY 50 Hearty Cut Oatmeal 52
    Oat Bran 55
    Bran Chex 58
    Mini Wheats™, whole wheat breakfast cereal 58
    Raisin Bran 61
    Cream of Wheat 66
    Quick (One Minute) Oats 66
    Pancakes 67
    Puffed Wheat 67
    Special K 69
    Grapenuts 71
    Bran Flakes 74
    Cheerios 74
    Cream of Wheat Instant 74
    Shredded Wheat 75
    Waffles 76
    Rice Krispies 82
    Corn Chex 83
    Corn Flakes 92
  • davecreed
    Options
    Limiting your intake of high glycemic index (GI) ranked foods with low and moderate GI foods is the first step to starting a low glycemic diet and hypoglycemic safe nutrition plan. Low GI foods only cause a gradual rise in glucose and limit the spikes in insulin.low glycemic diet

Carbohyrdates with a low GI (0-54) help you feel fuller, give you more energy, and can lead to weight loss and reduced risk of diabetes. It's all about the quality of the carbohydrates, not the quantity.

High GI Foods = GI of 70+ (Try to avoid. Keep as a reward.)
    Medium GI = GI of 55 to 69. (Use caution. Avoid when possible.)
    Low GI = GI of 0 to 54. (This is your target zone. Choose foods with a low GI value.)

All-Bran Kellogs

Bran Flakes, Post

Cheerios

Cocoa Krispies

Corn Chex

Corn Flakes

Corn Pops

Cream of Wheat.

Frosted Flakes

Froot Loops

Grapenuts Flakes

Frosted Mini Wheats

Honey Smacks

Multi Bran Chex

Museli

Raisin Bran

Rice Chex

Shredded Wheat

Honey Smacks

Special K

Total

Pancakes, from shake Mix

Pop Tarts

oops sorry it pastes like that here the source for that list

http://www.glycemicedge.com/glycemic-index-chart/
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

check the Glycemic index website and look up what serials are under 60 on the GI scale and which ones are higher. You'd be surprised to see tha

(t things you thought would be good are high on the GI scale while others, like frosted mini wheats...are as low as apples on the GI scale...add milk to it and it lowers it even further!!!! (source for that is the GI website FAQ...mixing GI foods)

** rice krispies...VERY HI on the GI charts...search whatever cereals you like and make a list! :)

eating according to the GI index makes little to no difference in your diet
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Lucky charms is a really good cereal for breakfast...or snack...

when I'm eating a healthy cereal i like frosted mini wheats.
  • afenwick1
    Options
    I think that you will be fine as long as you stay away from the cereals that are mainly targeting children (marketing wise). As long as you enjoy the taste and feel sufficiently full for enough time that you are not eating the equivalent of breakfast twice you will be just fine.
  • davecreed
    Options

opinion is good...but you need some facts to make it true. Science and experience say otherwise. not just me either...if youre gonna keep protesting my comments on the GI...back it up with more than your opinion. some research and references would be nice...cause i can produce lots of it...and have been...i looked at your diet...you barley eat any carbs (were talking about eating carbs here)...whats your experience with the GI ? tell me Dr. Carbs? Whats your body fat composition been like your whole life? how much body fat have you had to shed? must be nice to be a skinny kid...good luck in your loosing 5% body fat and gaining 10lbs of muscle life long struggle...you look like you know what your talking about...lol... when you've shed over 20% bf, over 55lbs of fat and gained over 70lbs of muscle...maybe then you can use your vast experience in weight loss and carbs as fact...until then why don't you just post your opinions of the actual topic of cereals and not try and post your critical opinions on other people opinions like they're facts. cause you have no clue what you're talking about. if you think you do...then prove it.
  • Acg67
    Options

opinion is good...but you need some facts to make it true. Science and experience say otherwise. not just me either...if youre gonna keep protesting my comments on the GI...back it up with more than your opinion. some research and references would be nice...cause i can produce lots of it...and have been...i looked at your diet...you barley eat any carbs (were talking about eating carbs here)...whats your experience with the GI ? tell me Dr. Carbs? Whats your body fat composition been like your whole life? how much body fat have you had to shed? must be nice to be a skinny kid...good luck in your loosing 5% body fat and gaining 10lbs of muscle life long struggle...you look like you know what your talking about...lol... when you've shed over 20% bf, over 55lbs of fat and gained over 70lbs of muscle...maybe then you can use your vast experience in weight loss and carbs as fact...until then why don't you just post your opinions of the actual topic of cereals and not try and post your critical opinions on other people opinions like they're facts. cause you have no clue what you're talking about. if you think you do...then prove it.

An 18-mo randomized trial of a low-glycemic-index diet and weight change in Brazilian women

http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/3/707.abstract

Conclusions: Long-term weight changes were not significantly different between the HGI and LGI diet groups; therefore, this study does not support a benefit of an LGI diet for weight control. Favorable changes in lipids confirmed previous results.

Reduced glycemic index and glycemic load diets do not increase the effects of energy restriction on weight loss and insulin sensitivity in obese men and women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16177201

In summary, lowering the glycemic load and glycemic index of weight reduction diets does not provide any added benefit to energy restriction in promoting weight loss in obese subjects.

Long-term effects of 2 energy-restricted diets differing in glycemic load on dietary adherence, body composition, and metabolism in CALERIE: a 1-y randomized controlled trial

http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/4/1023.abstract?ijkey=57903af923cb2fcdc065ffd37b00a32e22f4c5cf&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Conclusions:These findings provide more detailed evidence to suggest that diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.

No effect of a diet with a reduced glycaemic index on satiety, energy intake and body weight in overweight and obese women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17923862

CONCLUSION:

This study provides no evidence to support an effect of a reduced GI diet on satiety, energy intake or body weight in overweight/obese women. Claims that the GI of the diet per se may have specific effects on body weight may therefore be misleading.

Diaz EO et. al. Glycaemic index effects on fuel partitioning in humans. Obes Rev. (2006) 7:219-26.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2006.00225.x/full

Summary
    The purpose of this review was to examine the role of glycaemic index in fuel partitioning and body composition with emphasis on fat oxidation/storage in humans. This relationship is based on the hypothesis postulating that a higher serum glucose and insulin response induced by high-glycaemic carbohydrates promotes lower fat oxidation and higher fat storage in comparison with low-glycaemic carbohydrates. Thus, high-glycaemic index meals could contribute to the maintenance of excess weight in obese individuals and/or predispose obesity-prone subjects to weight gain. Several studies comparing the effects of meals with contrasting glycaemic carbohydrates for hours, days or weeks have failed to demonstrate any differential effect on fuel partitioning when either substrate oxidation or body composition measurements were performed. Apparently, the glycaemic index-induced serum insulin differences are not sufficient in magnitude and/or duration to modify fuel oxidation.

you were saying?
  • Acg67
    Options
    Oh and on the topic of cereal and GI? Read the bold

Schenk S et. al. Different glycemic indexes of breakfast cereals are not due to glucose entry into blood but to glucose removal by tissue. Am J Clin Nutr. (2003) 78(4):742-8.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/78/4/742.full.pdf

Objective: We compared the plasma glucose kinetics of low- and high-GI breakfast cereals.

Results: The GI of CF was more than twice that of BC (131.5 ± 33.0 compared with 54.5 ± 7.2; P < 0.05), despite no significant differences in the rate of appearance of glucose into the plasma during the 180-min period. Postprandial hyperinsulinemia occurred earlier with BC than with CF, resulting in a 76% higher plasma insulin concentration at 20 min (20.4 ± 4.5 compared with 11.6 ± 2.1 µU/mL; P < 0.05). This was associated with a 31% higher rate of disappearance of glucose with BC than with CF during the 30–60-min period (28.7 ± 3.1 compared with 21.9 ± 3.1 µmol · kg-1 · min-1; P < 0.05).

Conclusion: The lower GI of BC than of CF was not due to a lower rate of appearance of glucose but instead to an earlier postprandial hyperinsulinemia and an earlier increase in the rate of disappearance of glucose, which attenuated the increase in the plasma glucose concentration.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    BAM!!!

I eat white bread, pop tarts, and all sorts of high GI food.
    <
    total fatty
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on whether you feel satisfied with a reasonable portion of cereal. Don't forget, the milk contains protein, and some cereals have a decent amount of protein, too. I used to feel hungry right away after eating cereal, but lately I've found it to be really satisfying. I like Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds; the few extra almonds bump up the nutritional value, too. If you really want to add some more protein, you can eat an extra small yogourt or even a hard-boiled egg, depending on how many calories you want to eat for breakfast.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Knowledge has been dropped!
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I usually eat Life cereal with fat free skim milk (or whole milk since that seems to be the only kind my mother is willing to buy). So far so good. If I don't have Life, then I'll eat Corn Pops or Special K which is probably high in sugar but I only get 1 serving so I don't expect to die anytime soon
  • AloyMomNwife
    AloyMomNwife Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Only if you watch out for the portion size. It leaves me very hungry so I always go for something else. If 1 serving size works for you, go for it! Good luck on the weight loss journey!!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I love cereal, I eat it all the time. I've maintained around this weight for 2+ years.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from cereal, or anything else that comes in a box that has more than just a few ingredients, just because it's so processed. If we do buy cereal, though, I try to look for one that doesn't have any high fructose corn syrup in it - frosted mini wheats and honey nut cheerios are some of the best I've found.

As far as having that for breakfast every morning, I wouldn't. It's nothing but carbs. You really need to get in some protein to keep you fuller longer. Different things work for different people, but I'd personally try and stay as far away as possible from processed foods.
  • mgleason01
    mgleason01 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Cereal for breakfast is fine but I would suggest adding some protein as well. Personally, I try and have protein with every meal. Also watch the sugar intake and serving size - a typical cereal bowl is more than one serving for any cereal.