TOO MANY CARROTS?!?

Options
ok so while I'm working on my online class (DCF CERTIFICATION) I find that I always crave like a busy snack... and I don't chew gum so it doesn't work out...

my snack of choice is more than likely always baby carrots, or sliced cucumber... my question is.... is there something wrong with eating a crap load of carrots? like a bag of them? I'm not worried about turning orange.. just maybe a vitamin imbalance?

Replies

• FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    LOL I eat a ton and do have a tan look to my skin lol!! I just look at it as a cheap tan =)
  • farfalledibaciodinotte
    Options
    bump
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i don't bealive there is anything to worry about. both my boys turned oragne when they were about 6 months old and their ped's never said anything about cutting back on the orange veggies they ate.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Too many carrots ... well, carrots are loaded with vitamin A but I would assume it is pretty hard to have a vitamin A overdose.

However, carrots are a high glycemic index food which means they will raise your blood sugar up high right after consumption. For me, even though I love them I have had to cut down quite a bit due to sugar/insulin issues.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I had a friend in California whose palms literally turned orange from eating too many carrots. I have no idea just how many she ate, but I saw the orange palms. It was weird.
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Lol - you may not be worried about turning orange, but it can happen. It is extremely weird, but your hands can turn orange! Other than that, I don't see an issue with it.

Unless you turn into a rabbit....
  • kellz330
    kellz330 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    LOL, my mom told me a story about how she went on a "carrot diet" when she was younger and her skin turned orange. she said she stopped eating only carrots and it went back to normal... so I think you will be ok
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I knew a vegetarian that had orange skin color...freaked me out til I found out her diet. Not something I would want, but to each his/her own. :smile:
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I think if you are really worried about it, you should ask a doctor.
  • breezey77
    breezey77 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think if you are really worried about it, you should ask a doctor.

Exactly!
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I do know they are high in sugar.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried about turning orange...

i wasn't either - until reading some of these other responses. whoa why don't rabbits turn orange? :laugh:
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    After my youngest child was born, I craved carrots. I ate about a pound or two of baby carrots every day.
    My palms literally turned bright orange. I was freaked out.
    My doctor said it wasn't a big deal health wise, but advised me to branch out into other fruits and veggies.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Carrots are very high in sugar so maybe too many could cause sweet cravings.
  • empc
    empc Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just know they are high in sugar. Otherwise...go for it
  • robtorres
    Options
    They are high in carbs in essence sugar so you need to stay away from them. All of the veggies that we all like have something in common, they all have sugar in them, which is why they are tasty. potatoes, peas, beans, pumpkin.. etc.

I recently read the METABOLISM MIRACLE book and it talks about all of this.. VERY HIGHLY Recommend it.
  • suprfast
    Options
    Eat up. If you become diabetic from eating carrots well start a movie. A lb of carrots might have 45 carbs with over 10g fiber. Maybe 25-30g of sugar. That is less than a soda and people still drink those daily. Also i doubt you can eat a lb of carrots without getting a fatigued jaw...

Eat up.
  • Stylistntenn
    Options
    My mom said I LOVED carrott baby food when I was little and my nose did turn orange! I have a couple pictures somewhere where you can see it so clearly! ha! :laugh:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I eat several (3 or more) servings of carrots just about every day and my vitamin levels (except potassium, which I am and always will be deficient in no matter how much I consume) are all perfect.