High Crime area & exercise....I AM REALLY PI$$ED

I work in an office building that is in an area with a lot of buinsesses but surrounded but some pretty funky neighborhoods. I have been sort of checking out my route to work while driving because I was considering riding my bike to work a few days a week. Its only a few miles but I could use the extra exercise. I run in a few areas that people think i am nuts but I am not a scary person and if I let the NOLA are crime get to me, i wouldn't leave the house. Its pretty localized to its specific areas but things do happen all over the place. I caught the building manager in the hall this morning and asked if there was a bike wrack. She said OH NO>>>>I don't want you biking here. Are you crazy? People have been car jacked two blocks away, there was a rape down the street a ways and yada yada yada yada.........
Sorry but this crap just TICKED me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want to move right now.....WTF! Who are these *kitten* that make my area that I PAY to live in unsafe!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
I am so Pi$$ED! It just not right...I want to do the right thing, be healthy, be a good example and find the time to fit in exercise without neglecting my daughter and I CAN'T....and Y bc these no good P.O.S. crack dealers......Get the F&(&K out and leave me and my life alone.....

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    I've found running from crack heads helps to increase my speed by a significant margin.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    I only train so I can outrun rapists.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    you can get an outfit and become one of those real life superheroes that roam the streets fighting criminals.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    I've found running from crack heads helps to increase my speed by a significant margin.

literal lol. Well done.

To the op, it's called a .38 special. Get concealed carry permit and carry. If it ever goes there, you get to have a fighting chance to stay alive.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    That really stinks, but I think you'd be ok on a bike...I wouldn't walk or run. And if there's no bike rack, just bring your bike into the office.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,894 Member
    I work in an office building that is in an area with a lot of buinsesses but surrounded but some pretty funky neighborhoods. I have been sort of checking out my route to work while driving because I was considering riding my bike to work a few days a week. Its only a few miles but I could use the extra exercise. I run in a few areas that people think i am nuts but I am not a scary person and if I let the NOLA are crime get to me, i wouldn't leave the house. Its pretty localized to its specific areas but things do happen all over the place. I caught the building manager in the hall this morning and asked if there was a bike wrack. She said OH NO>>>>I don't want you biking here. Are you crazy? People have been car jacked two blocks away, there was a rape down the street a ways and yada yada yada yada.........
    Sorry but this crap just TICKED me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I want to move right now.....WTF! Who are these *kitten* that make my area that I PAY to live in unsafe!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    I am so Pi$$ED! It just not right...I want to do the right thing, be healthy, be a good example and find the time to fit in exercise without neglecting my daughter and I CAN'T....and Y bc these no good P.O.S. crack dealers......Get the F&(&K out and leave me and my life alone.....
    Sound's like Washington DC.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    just get a dart firing stun gun, they are legal for civilians to openly carry...BUT if it is a crackhead they won't feel a thing...as they are real life zombies, my personal choice would be the 38 special as mentioned before. Actually I might rig up my own belt and have the taser, a can of OC/CS mix pepper spray AND the gun. Just make sure you bring your paperwork if you are going to pack heat.
  • My hometown is in about the same predicament, but I still bike to work and run in my neighborhood. I am, however, hyper-aware of my surroundings and carry a phone, let family know my routes, what time I'll be back, etc. I've been exercising in my seedy neighborhood for over 20 years and either people consider me part of the scenery ( the hoodlums don't "see" me anymore) or I'm just not an easy target. I have found that I would not have done many of things I've done (marathons and travel) if I'd allowed myself to be paralyzed by fear. I've always been around naysayers that pooh pooh running (bad for the knees), travel to big cities (I'll get mugged or raped) and working out in gyms (the men will stare). So many "bad" things can happen because I choose to be fit. Oh well. I enjoyed reading your rant, cuz I feel the same sometimes.
  • Babygirl082578
    Babygirl082578 Posts: 44 Member
    I sooo needed to vent

I love these responses.....Thanks....I needed to laugh...
  • Babygirl082578
    Babygirl082578 Posts: 44 Member
    For those of you woman that do bike to and from work...what do you do about showering??? Do you shower? How do you make you self presentable for the day?

I sell insurance...I can't exactly smell all day. :)
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    :smile:
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member

Sound's like Washington DC.

Lol!
  • summergreen487
    summergreen487 Posts: 131 Member
    Sing really loud while riding your bike. No one wants to mess with a crazy person
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member

Gyms should hire them to stand behind treadmills & ellipticals. Forget about a personal trainer, these guys will get you in shape for sure!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    ride the bike in.
    bring it INSIDE the office.
    if anyone questions it... theres no bike rack. and you were told the crime outside is so dangerous, you're not going to leave your bike (and only transport home) just sitting outside.

someone here at my work did that... (no crime, but no rack) we now have a bike rack.
  • I teach middle school. Lord knows I have to be presentable around those kids. I shower BEFORE I ride to work, however, I keep wipes and a clean towel to freshen up. I also carry wrinkle free clothes in my backpack. I've got a small bag of sample size toiletries in my desk, and keeping my hair short helps. Some planning is involved, but it gets easier with practice. When I bike to work, I'm the happiest person on campus because it is so much fun. Also, I keep my bike in my classroom. The only yucky part seems to be putting on wet clothes to bike back home.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    I've been offered crack on a run (I didn't accept it). It made me run faster.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,640 Member

Hahaha I was actually thinking that while reading your post lol Just hold up a crack rock in front of them and they will chase you all the way down the street lol sounds like a good workout to me :)
  • fearlessbetz
    fearlessbetz Posts: 97 Member
    I ran into the same problem, no place or opportunity to excercise. Except for 8 floors of stairs. I brought clothes to change in and came early or stayed late. I would run stairs, do pushups, stretches on the stairs. Our office has a roof area that I use for yoga and mat work.
  • I only train so I can outrun rapists.

LOL.. Sorry.

But yeah my neighbourhood is relatively crime free, where I used to run at nighttime is largely a shopping district so its along a busy main street with lots of people and I still had a knife pulled on me one night. So scary, but I called the police and I wasn't the only one. Still wonder if they caught the guy, haven't been running since.