Fast Food for Lunch Ideas

Most of the time, I go grab a little something at lunch with my friends. When I add it up on MFP, I almost faint sometimes. Anybody got any favorite fast food places and what item(s) you like to get that are even halfway good for you? So far, Captain D's is good for me. I can get Talapia on rice with green beans and broccoli and come out pretty good. I give that wonderful peice of bread to my friend. Would love more suggestions!

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Where I wouldnt even dream of touching fast-food, period: thats going to depend on availability of businesses....

If you are looking for options, use www.calorieking.com as they have chain restaurants listed for nutritional information.
  • Jimmy John's unwiches! Some of them are as low as 80cal. My favorite is the huntsman though, which is around 250. ...resist the cookies. Dag, their cookies are delicious.....
  • mung222
    mung222 Posts: 58 Member
    Wendy's dollar menu: Baked potato and chilli. Then put the chilli on the baked potato. YUM!
  • Subway or Chick Fil A are my favorites. There are quite a few low calorie options out there now, but still very high in sodium!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    When ever I eat fast food I always divide my meal in half.. and that helps with the calories I find.

I also never drink soda and always get tea or water.
  • Crys1209
    Crys1209 Posts: 128 Member
    I would say Subway has to be one of the healthiest as long as you do it the right way and they usually have the calories of their healthiest sandwiches listed.
  • Wendy's baked potato with 1 butter and 1 sour cream (optional) with a side salad w/ lite dressing no croutons. That's my go-to quick lunch. Other than that I go for a 6 inch subway sandwich veggie on wheat with lite mayo no cheese.
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    I second Wendy's chili with baked potato, or even baked potato with side salad. I also do Chick Fil A with grill chicken sandwich and a side a fruit. Honestly my FAVORITE is Jason's Deli. I don't know if you have any where you are from but that place is awesome! I plan ahead, and find that is what helps the most!
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    taco bell has a diet menu. one fresco taco for 150cals.
  • jdaddy615
    jdaddy615 Posts: 24 Member
    prepare a weeks worth of lunches on sunday. baked chicken and broccoli are great ideas. Then throw it in the microwave for 2 minutes and eat...now that's fast food! Plus you save money on eating out
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Panera bread - though it doesn't have a drive thru, you can usually order pretty quick to go. They have a lot of healthy choices too!!
  • lulu_beans
    lulu_beans Posts: 100 Member
    We eat a lot of Wendy's chili when we hit fast food for lunch, but you have to watch the sodium. Subway has the same problem, lots of sodium :(
  • If I really have to , I hit up subway and have a veggie sub.. Or a small chili at wendy's too. They have salads that are decent too but you have to be careful with what you order for sure.
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    1) I highly recommend the book "Eat This, Not That!" It's basiclly a list of all fast food places and gives their best and worst options.
    2) I'm a meat eater, so I go for the bunless cheeseburger and a side salad. Put the burger on the salad and voila, cheeseburger salad! At Burger King I get a Whopper with cheese, no bun, no ketchup put it on a plain side salad (no dressing/ croutons) and it's 420 calories. Delish!
    Days that I go refined carb free I totally notice a difference in how I feel and I generally lose weight on those days too. I eat all the fruits & veggies that I want along w/ meat and cheese/ dairy, just very very little bread/ rice/grains/potatoes/ corn. It's working so far.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Most of the time, I go grab a little something at lunch with my friends. When I add it up on MFP, I almost faint sometimes. Anybody got any favorite fast food places and what item(s) you like to get that are even halfway good for you? So far, Captain D's is good for me. I can get Talapia on rice with green beans and broccoli and come out pretty good. I give that wonderful peice of bread to my friend. Would love more suggestions!
    None of those places are any fun eating healthy stuff while all your friends are binging away on fabulous foods.
    No, when I go out, I eat the tasty stuff which is why I pack my lunch most days.

No thanks! Go without me.
    You might have a stronger will than I.

I just can't do that.
  • pam_williams
    pam_williams Posts: 10 Member
    McAlisters Deli has some great options under 500 calories. Today I had a grilled chicken spud and chicken tortilla soup for 429 calories. Put the soup on the potato for extra flavor.
  • Wendy's dollar menu: Baked potato and chilli. Then put the chilli on the baked potato. YUM!

YES! That is what I had today. Only I ate half and will eat the other half tomorrow for lunch! Delicious!
  • Chick Fil A Chargrilled chicken sandwich is good with their side salad. Also Wendy's chili poured over their side salad is great and quite filling - you dont need dressing. I use a little hot sauce packet. Arby's small roast beef isnt too bad either. Hope this helps!
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    I just had two Taco Bell Fresco Chicken Soft Tacos for 150 calories each. But drink a ton of water cuz the sodium is crazy! Definately would not do that everyday.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    I do not do fast food...I can't resist the temptation yet.
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    I'm totally addicted to Chipotle. You can use the nutrition calulator BEFORE you go to build the healthiest option - I get a salad (skip the dressing) with black beans, fajita veggies, chicken, salsa and a sprinkle of cheese for under 400 calories and it has so much flavor! No matter what fast food you get, be sure to drink lots of water since its loaded with sodium.
    http://chipotlefan.com/index.php?id=nutrition_calculator
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    I just had two Taco Bell Fresco Chicken Soft Tacos for 150 calories each. But drink a ton of water cuz the sodium is crazy! Definately would not do that everyday.
    I agree with this....and also about the sodium...its out of this world at ANY fast food place. If you aren't tracking sodium in your diary..make sure you're doing so, as this might help you make different choices for sure!

(edit)....and PLAN AHEAD....don't enter it in after you eat. When you know where you're going, look it up online before and make a decision about what you will get..then stick to it (no matter what other yummy bad thing looks good when you get there). Its much easier if you know what you're dealing with ahead of time.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    I will do Fazolis a kids meal fettucine alfredo and I always ask for the sauce on the side. I barely use half the sauce. Then I will eat maybe one breadstick.
  • I would reccomend making a list of the places that are near you that you go to for lunch and check each places menu and nutrition information and figure out what you should order depending on which place you go to. Almost every place has a relatively healhty option, you just need to do the legwork to figure out what option that is.
  • whitneyrsmith
    whitneyrsmith Posts: 37 Member
    I agree with the Wendy's options, and the Jason's Deli. You may also try McAlister's, if you have one nearby? It's like a Jason's. I have found sometimes as well that I want to go out with the girls for lunch, so they will pick the day before where they are going. I will look at a menu the night before and try and find something somewhat healthy, and if I can't, I'll take my own little lunch and still be able to join them!

It kinda sucks seeing them eat delicious food, buuuuut "NOTHING tastes as good as skinny feels" :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I have found something I can order/modify at a bunch of fast food places, allow me to share:

Carl's: Teriyaki Chicken sandwich, hold the mayo, ask for the lettuce wrap. Just under 300
    Wendy's: Grilled chicken sandwich, pull off one of the buns. Also under 300.
    Pollo: Chicken salad, sub light dressing for regular, use the fork-dip technique and come in around 300.
    Subway: sweet onion chicken teriyaki, no dressing except the onion sauce and load up the veggies. Also strip away excess bread. Around 400-ish.
    Waba Grill/Flame Broiler(same thing essentially): teriyaki chicken and veggies bowl, brown rice, only eat half of the rice.

Anyplace that makes burgers, hold mayo and cheese, and pull off one of the buns. This move saves 300-400 calories (100 for mayo, 100 for cheese, 100-200 for the bun depending on its size)

hth
  • akossen
    akossen Posts: 54 Member
    Whenever we are on the go and I just have to get fast food, I always get a kids meal!
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    here's the nutrition for panera bread: http://www.paneranutrition.com/
  • I've found it's all about making the right choice. If I go to McDonalds I get their grilled chicken caesar salad and maybe a small fry. By the time dinner rolls around I usually have around 1,000 cals left so it gives me some leeway.