Vitamins. Are you taking them?

Options
Hello MFP people -

For the past few months I've been putting a lot of emphasis on fitness. I try to stick to working out 4-5 times a week. Just this week after my brutal workout on Monday (Zumba + Extreme Cycling), my body felt soOo drained. Which is expected after all of that -- but on Wednesday I was still drained. And I'm not referring to soreness or fatigue of the body... it just felt like I had no "GET UP AND GO" about me. Which make me believe I should be taking vitamins. I used to take them a couple years ago, but stopped. Crazy (I know) especially with all this exercising I've been doing. So, what type of multi-vitamin do you suggest I take? Something that's good for women (of course).

Thanks,

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    There's no real proof that vitamins do anything beneficial.

My suggestion is to figure out whether or not your diet is deficient, and fix it. If you can't realistically correct any deficiency through diet, then think about supplements.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I take a one a day women's active multi, a calcium tablet with vitamin d, coromega omega 3 (its a packet you squeeze), and 2 billion count acidophilus for digestion... I start my day at 4 am every day and don't get to go to bed until 9 or 10 so I know what you mean by drained. The omegas do wonders though. I workout every morning and I know when I skip my vitamins I feel like crap. :P
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

I disagree, blood work can prove it. I am a meat eater but still deficient in B12 even when taking a multivitamin, as I found out during routine blood work at my doctors. I now take B12 plus a multi that has B12 and test at normal levels. Bottom line is if you are deficient in something, you won't know without blood work. My doctor goes by the rule of thumb that everyone should at least take a multi, as very few people have such perfect diets that their needs are met 100% through eating a varied diet.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

I disagree, blood work can prove it. I am a meat eater but still deficient in B12 even when taking a multivitamin, as I found out during routine blood work at my doctors. I now take B12 plus a multi that has B12 and test at normal levels. Bottom line is if you are deficient in something, you won't know without blood work. My doctor goes by the rule of thumb that everyone should at least take a multi, as very few people have such perfect diets that their needs are met 100% through eating a varied diet.

Disagree with what? I never said that nutrient deficiencies are impossible. All I am saying is that multivitamins are often recommended as "nutritional insurance," but no studies have actually proven that make people healthier. And getting too much of a vitamin or mineral through supplementation is not unheard of.

IMO, the safest and most reasonable course of action is to try and fix your diet first, and then figure out if you're still coming up short in any area.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the arguement at hand there's really no drawbacks to taking a multivitamin as far as I can tell.

I take the gummy kind because they actually taste decent and I hate the giant pills you have to swallow. The gummies are the first ones I've actually taken every single day without fail for more than a few days. In fact its been nearly a month now probably.
  • lelasutt
    lelasutt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you are going to take a multivitamin, don't waste your money on the typical cheap one-a-day you'd find at the grocery store or pharmacy. Order a good one online or go to the health food store. I take Rainbow Light women's multivitamin. I also take vitamin D3 and probiotics.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Here is some of mine:

Natural Omega-3 Flaxseed (Linseed) Oil 1000 mg
    Probiotic Acidophilus with Pectin
    L-Carnitine 500 mg
    Cayenne 450 mg
    High Potency Ultra Vita Man™ Time Release
    Pure Whey Protein Stack Vanilla
    Astaxanthin 10 mg
    Vitamin D
    Flax Seed
  • 69sweetness
    Options
    Why is it every time I take vitamins I get headaches and fatigue? If that's the case I rather not take anything.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Yes, I take a ladies one.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Why is it every time I take vitamins I get headaches and fatigue? If that's the case I rather not take anything.
    Prob not enough food in your stomach or not enough fluids.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options

My suggestion is to figure out whether or not your diet is deficient, and fix it. If you can't realistically correct any deficiency through diet, then think about supplements.

...really?
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options

My skin looks 10 years younger than a year ago it's hard for me and the wife to take it all in, it seems I have backed up time....
    I'm almost 56 yo....
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    If you are going to take a multivitamin, don't waste your money on the typical cheap one-a-day you'd find at the grocery store or pharmacy. Order a good one online or go to the health food store. I take Rainbow Light women's multivitamin. I also take vitamin D3 and probiotics.

Actually, those are just as good as any, provided you get the actual pill and not the gummy. They have just about everything in them that one needs to fill in the "gaps", especially iron, which as we all know, women tend to not have enough of.

I take and recommend the Women's One-A-Day formula. I take them every night. Just be sure not to take them on a completely empty stomach. Since they have 100% of your DV of iron, they can be kind of tough on the tummy.
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    I didn't take vitamins before I was pregnant, I just adjusted my food intake to make sure I hit nutrients that were at a deficit.
  • springermad
    Options
    I take multi vitamins every morning and feel better for taking them. I get the one with added iron.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

My skin looks 10 years younger than a year ago it's hard for me and the wife to take it all in, it seems I have backed up time....
    I'm almost 56 yo....

While the results of your n=1 study are intriguing, they don't change my opinion.
  • mommypennylane
    mommypennylane Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Agree! I well balanced diet actually provides all the average person needs. Just like any other flaw a person can have though, a person can have a deficit even while eating healthy. The typical average person though doesn't need any vitamins as long as they eat healthy. And yes it has been proven.
  • gillybumbler
    Options

It may be the quality of the vitamin. Most are cheap and full of fillers. I like Source Naturals, Carlsons, Rainbo Light, NOW, Nature's Way, Kal, Garden of Life, and others that i can't think of at this moment.
  • mcg6242
    mcg6242 Posts: 84
    Options
    I take GNC Women's Ultra Mega Energy, I absolutly love it.I feel like I have more energy when I am taking them. They have a bit of a werid smell at first, but you get use to it.
  • hotrodrachel
    Options
    I take a women's multi as well as fish oil pills & a B-Complex. Basically, your body will absorb/use what it needs and you will excrete the rest so, in my opinion, vitamins can't hurt. I will say, though, that I've taken this combo for nearly 2 years now and if I miss a day I feel the difference.