Is it better to arrive late, early, or on time?

Options
kaleas
kaleas Posts: 200
So I've been out of the uh, dating scene for awhile. I met this guy. He just came back from tour and asked if I'd like to get a drink sometime. I agreed, we picked today, in about...an hour. We don't have each others numbers, so that way we'd be assuming neither was going to flake.

Some friends suggested its better for the girl to show up 10 minutes late. I've always been one to be early. I also always assume most guys will be 5 to 10 minutes late to everything.

I don't know where this is going. it's not a date. Just a chance to drink, chill, and get to know each other. So i'd rather not play any games. With that being said. Should I arrive a few minutes early to "secure us a table", arrive just on time, or fashionably late?

Replies

• shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    don't play games. Arrive when you agreed.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options

this.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm always early. Being late with in excuse is acceptable under some circumstances, but doing it on purpose is rude and tacky.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    A polite person would be on time. Or a few minutes early.
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    No matter what I am doing and no matter how long I try to take my time I always, always show up early.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Dear god it has come to this?
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

I agree with this^^^
  • Allyson1985
    Options

Amen.
  • aeboone24
    Options
    being a military spouse (and brat) this is something we have always been brought up on. Early is on time, on time is late and late is forgotten. So if he is military he will most likely be early. so if you are on time, then you are fashionably late :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Dates - Arrive on time
    Job Interviews - Arrive early
    Your own funeral - Arrive late
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options

^^^^ To the point and on target.
  • rachcamp88
    rachcamp88 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Always arrive a few minutes early for everything in life! I believe being late shows complete disrespect for the person you are meeting and implies that your time is more important then theirs!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    As a guy if the lady showed up 10 minutes late without reason I would assume she isn`t all that into the get together.
  • Jen2Bfit
    Jen2Bfit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would think it best just to be on time, although I have always had a tendency to be early everywhere.
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    and the ones telling you to be late.... are they still single? if this this isnt a date yet, if you show up late, you can pretty much bet that you wont get that real date. showing up late says (to me) that you are "high-maintenance" and that may not be the best thing to show on your frist "non-date". showing up on time shows you are interested.
  • kaleas
    Options
    Haha, thanks everyone. I always arrive early, and my biggest pet peeve in life is people who are not on time to things they agreed to. So I suppose why change who I am now.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Why would you play silly dating games? Is this like those people who wait three hours to text back, that kind of thing. Arrive on time, or better, a few minutes early (particularly useful if you don't know the area too well). Think of if this wasn't a date - would you deliberately show up late to meet a friend or relative? No? Then don't show up late to meet a date deliberately. It's plain rude if anything.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    So I've been out of the uh, dating scene for awhile. I met this guy. He just came back from tour and asked if I'd like to get a drink sometime. I agreed, we picked today, in about...an hour. We don't have each others numbers, so that way we'd be assuming neither was going to flake.

Some friends suggested its better for the girl to show up 10 minutes late. I've always been one to be early. I also always assume most guys will be 5 to 10 minutes late to everything.

I don't know where this is going. it's not a date. Just a chance to drink, chill, and get to know each other. So i'd rather not play any games. With that being said. Should I arrive a few minutes early to "secure us a table", arrive just on time, or fashionably late?
    He came back from tour??? With a band or the military? If it was military he'll be there early so don't be late.
  • kaleas
    Options
    A band, haha. Thus if he's like most 24 year old touring band types, he'll be late. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Ooh, musicians! Sexy! Enjoy your date :D