100 Calorie Packs - article

Options
MTGirl
MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
Found this on The Daily Dose - MSN. I think the moral is not to necessarily quit using 100 calorie packs - but to be conscious in your use of them, if you use them!

The End of 100-Calorie Packs?

Why portion-controlled snacks are falling out of favor.
Posted by Susannah at MSN Health on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:44 AM
When the marketing minds at Kraft came up with the idea to package snack foods in individual 100-calorie servings, a snack revolution was born. It seemed like a great idea at the time--consumers could have all of their favorite treats and lose weight without feeling deprived. Why skip dessert when Kraft made it so easy to indulge in a sensible, but still indulgent bag of Oreo cookies (albeit in a tiny portion and without the cream filling)? Calorie-conscious snackers rewarded Kraft's marketing ingenuity with sales that totaled more than $75 million in the first year.

Other food manufacturers followed suit, and today it's easy to find 100-calorie packs of products from Planter's peanuts to Ritz crackers to Chips Ahoy! cookies. Since January 2008, 258 products making the 100-calorie claim have been introduced, but Brand Week reports that these products are falling out of favor, as evidence suggests that imposing portion control through food packaging doesn't actually promote weight loss.

A study reported in the Journal of Consumer Research found that participants given 100-calorie snack packs while watching television ate significantly more than those who were given regular-sized bags of potato chips to snack from. Food analyst Marcia Mogelonsky, Ph.D., tells Brand Week that the 100-calorie packs were "a license to overeat."

Portion control as a tool for weight loss may be falling out of favor according to some experts, with "satiety" taking its place as the buzzword du jour. Satiety, which comes from eating foods that are rich in fiber and protein, refers to a feeling of hunger satisfaction—something you don't get from snacking on cookies, candies and other processed treats.

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    A study reported in the Journal of Consumer Research found that participants given 100-calorie snack packs while watching television ate significantly more than those who were given regular-sized bags of potato chips to snack from. Food analyst Marcia Mogelonsky, Ph.D., tells Brand Week that the 100-calorie packs were "a license to overeat."

How?

If I eat out of a bag of chips (thank God I NEVER do this), I eat easily hundreds and hundreds of calories.
    I'd have to eat 4, 5 or more bags to equal the same. I'd never eat that many 100 cal pacakges in one sitting.
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Awww...I love the 100 calorie packs....they work awesome for me! I don't know ANYONE who can count out just one portion of Harvest Cheddar Sunchips and STICK TO IT...whereas the 100 calorie pack minis make me very happy and it's easy for me to just eat one...there's no big bag for me to go back to!! :laugh:
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Now I'm craving Oreos:smile: I think it's more of a problem of people sitting around bored and not paying attention to how many of those packs they're eating.
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    I get it. they ate multiple packs because they figured each one was only 100 calories and that wasn't much. still hard to believe they ate more than a person with a big bag of chips. anyway, for those of us who need (and by need I mean NEED!!!!) a little treat from time to time lest we be overwhelmed by cravings and devour an entire chocolate cake and a gallon of ice cream, the 100 calorie packs are a pretty decent alternative to gluttony.
  • MonicaRod
    MonicaRod Posts: 56
    Options
    This is a great article and thank you for posting it!!
    I myself have NEVER been a fan of those 100 calorie packs...If I eat one, I start thinking...ok only 1 more because its ONLY 100 calories right?!

The nutritional value is usually not very good...I could use those 100 calories for something that is nutritious AND will fill me up!

Thanks again for posting that!!
    :wink:
  • bikergirl10
    Options
    I have heard of that before. I like the 100 calorie packs but find with them that I want more. I try to do the small Ziplock bags that say they hold 100 calories.
  • aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options
    I could see where people ate a few different packs in one sitting. Or dumping a few packs in a bowl I mean it happens. I personal take a bag of chips grab a sm dish of salsa by the time my salsa's gone I stop eating the chips without the dip it's just not as good to me! So that is my portion control. Not only that but people that eat 100 cal packs might over eat in another area because they had such a low cal snack. Just mty opinion.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I couldn' t imagine eating multiple packs at once. Those things are expensive!! :laugh:
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I personally have never been a fan of those type snacks, as I would tend to think, they're small, I'll have 2..or 3..or..... That type of treat - the simple (processed) carbs - tend to make me binge. I try to snack on truly healthy foods like frozen blueberries w/ a bit of non-fat yogurt, or apple slices & natural peanut butter or almonds, cottage cheese & fresh peaches. If I over-induldge with any of those, I'm not apt to so feel bad/guilty later. The article makes me glad I've sworn off processed food.
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I also agree...i can eat a few of those 100 cal things at once. I've been known to eat almost an entire box of snack cakes in one sitting when I have the right kinda craving(once a month). So a box of 8 snack cakes and each is about 220 or a box of 8 and they are only 100....... I don't keep snack cakes in the house anymore:grumble: even if they are 100 cals each.
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    I'm with DBranchaud - I used to eat an entire box of snack cakes (swiss cake rolls - frozen) - because once I got started, I was done for. My frame of mind: If no one sees me eat it, it doesn't count. WRONG! It counted all right. What was I thinking?
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    I think 100 Calorie packs have their place... along with anything else we eat (cheesecake.... pasta.... sugar free jello pudding packs...etc).
    I don't think the issue is the packs per say (although... they aren't overly nutritious).
    It's about self-control.

As mentioned above, given a "regular" bag of chips... I'd nibble right through it.
    However, sometimes... I would like doritos....cheetos (especially with a sandwich).... etc.... instead of opening a HUGE bag (which compells me to eat more before they get chewy...that's how often I crave chips). I snag a little calorie pack. Same flavor... size is altered... but it satisfys the craving I had for some crunch (celery/carrots don't cut it yet).

It's about learning to control yourself.
    Cause as much as we think those little Powdered Sugar Raspberry filled jelly doughnuts are gonna attack us... and we need to get them first.... usually(I was raised with 5 older brothers... I've been attacked by food before)... they don't.
    It's about resisting what you can, finding substitues for what you can't, and indulging once in a while in the forbidden.
  • kariadams
    kariadams Posts: 24
    Options
    Sorry to hear they are falling out of favor in other people's homes, but not mine!!!!! We love them and we have made a life altering decision to become healthy and drop the weight we put on. Like everyone else who has commented on this, they help us not to feel deprived.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I couldn' t imagine eating multiple packs at once. Those things are expensive!! :laugh:

:laugh: I thought the same thing - then remembered the 1 and only time I bought some 100 calorie snack packs. I ate one, then 5 mins later another, then 5 mins later another. . . that is why I don't buy them anymore!!

Like I said - I think the true moral, like with anyother food, is being conscious of what you are doing when you are eating them. For me - they set me up for cravings so I don't use them. But for a small treat now and again, they could have their place!

I had an issue with the last paragraph - portion control is not working for weight loss?? On what planet?? Obviously you have to have portion control along with the satiety - I don't think they are mutually exclusive!!

Great discussion - I thought it was an interesting perspective. I still don't see how the person with the regular bag of chips ate less then the person with the 100 calorie snack packs either :laugh:
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i think they are all right, as someone else said they would eat more if they opened a regular size bag, i don't eat junk food very ofetn and never really have, but the 100 cal. packs satisfy my craving and then i am done with just one, they are too expensive anyways to eat too many at once, there fore are a treat.
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I like them as much as anybody (especially the nutter butter cookies) but, they're just like everything that isn't necessarily "good" for us...EVERYTHING IN MODERATION. No matter how it is packaged, YOU still have to take responsibility for your own actions. Just 'cause it's "diet food" isn't a license to eat the whole box at one time! :happy: In my opinion, if you're someone who will eat an entire box of 100 calorie whatevers, then you're probably not really looking to change your lifestyle. You're just trying to make yourself feel like you're doing something. Self sabataging.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    The price alone makes them a very rare treat around here, hehe ... normally around THAT time of month.
  • jdl249
    jdl249 Posts: 46
    Options
    I love the 100 calorie packs myself. I still go to college and I make a little lunch of a sandwich, a bottle of water, and one of those 100 calorie packs. This coming fall, I'll get to do that twice a week, so I guess that's moderation enough...and I've been strong before where I never ate the whole box or even close in one sitting! :smile:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I love the 100 cal packs. When I want a snack that I normally couldn't have... I reach in my tub of 100 calorie packs and pick out the salty or sweet thing I've been craving... and that's the end of it. I used to eat 2-3 packs a day, I had a lot of cravings, now I might eat 1 per week. But it's nice to know they are there if I want a bad for me snack. They help me keep self control, unlike a bag of chips or something, where I'd have to measure/count... and try to forget there's a big open bag in there...
  • beckythebunny122
    beckythebunny122 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think that the study overlooked whether people are buying the 100 calorie packs. Obviously, if people still buy them, the companies are going to continue to sell them. Basically the study showed that if you aren't paying attention, then eating something labeled as "low calorie" or "healthy" can be just as bad for you as the regular stuff.

Personally, I use them. I find it much better to eat one of the 100 calorie packs than to eat out of a whole bag of chips. I once sat with an open bag of chips watching TV and put the chips I WOULD have eaten into a bowl to see how much there was. It was over 800 calories! But if I eat the 100 calorie pack, when it's gone, then it's gone. If I want to eat another, I would have to go all the way over to the cabinet, get the step stool, move stuff down, and get another one. And honestly, that makes me think of what I'm doing. It forces me to pay attention to what I'm eating.

But gee, if I didn't have these and Fudgsicles I would have stopped this long ago. Sometimes a girl has to have her salty snack or her chocolate!