No Support :(

Options
So I feel like I don't have any support and feel like no matter what I do I can't seem to lose the weight.

It's really depressing, plus being on certain meds doesn’t help.

Anyways I spoke with my doctor and he suggested i see a nutritionist.

Well I told the person I've very close with and love what the doctor said and the person i love told me that he thinks going to a nutritionist is a load of crap and that i can do it on my own.

he said that as long as i eat healthy and go to the gym every day ill be all set.

Which he's also told me that going to therapy and having depression and anxiety is crap as well.

I don't know what to do.

It's very upsetting for me.

Replies

• Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    GO to the nutrionist!!!

I had a physical last summer........Doc told me I was "obese". I almost smacked her, but she recommended a nutritionist.

I did NOT want to go. I was very healthy....didn't "really" need to lose weight (or so I thought.) I felt that this person would probably rake me over the coals, and tell me what to do, and give me crap.......but she didn't. She gave me advice. She gave me a couple of recipe books. She was kind and caring, and we talked about my lifestyle and habits..........and shortly after that, I found MFP. The rest is history, as I've lost a bunch of weight, and am very happy with the changes in my life.

Go. You need to do this for YOU, not your bf.

And make friends here.......they will boost you up!

Take care,

Polly
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I agree with Polly. Go to the nutritionist, you need to do this for you and your health. Maybe you could do it on your own but it's easier with help. Reach out to people on MFP, make friends and join groups and challenges to keep you on track and give you support. We are all on this journey, some have further to go than others, but we all know how hard it can be.
    Feel free to add me for support :flowerforyou:
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If you've tried it on your own, and have trouble, then try the nutritionist. Everyone is different, and different things work for each of us. If you visit the nutritionist and it doesn't help or you don't find it useful, you will stop going. But there is no reason not to explore every option available to you. It's your health, and your life.
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you don't feel supported. MFP is here for you! Please see the nutritionist - do it for yourself. I cringed when I read that someone you care about told you that doing something legitimate for your health was crap! Don't let that stop you from being healthy and well - physically and emotionally. Everyone else thinks they have the answer and know what is best for others, I'd like to see this other person you care about try to overcome depression/anxiety/weight issues all by themselves!!

Best of luck to you.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself - no need for a nutritionist... Depression - exercise and a healthy diet could take care of that if you apply yourself and again, educate yourself on the subject.

However, we are all different and something works for some something for others. -- I can tell you it has worked for me. I have not felt depressed in over 3 mos - since I started taking ME seriously and making me feel worthy of my own love.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    So I feel like I don't have any support and feel like no matter what I do I can't seem to lose the weight.

Well I told the person I've very close with and love what the doctor said and the person i love told me that he thinks going to a nutritionist is a load of crap and that i can do it on my own.

he said that as long as i eat healthy and go to the gym every day ill be all set.

Which he's also told me that going to therapy and having depression and anxiety is crap as well.

I don't know what to do.

What des this person advising you know about the human body, healthy eating and nutrition? What does the doctor know? Can it hurt you to go?

Also off topic. The person you have told us you love has said the issues affecting your happiness are just crap? Not real?

Take all that energy from worrying and put it into yourself. Seek advice from experts and you do have lots of support. That's what MFP is for.
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself - no need for a nutritionist... Depression - exercise and a healthy diet could take care of that if you apply yourself and again, educate yourself on the subject.

However, we are all different and something works for some something for others. -- I can tell you it has worked for me. I have not felt depressed in over 3 mos - since I started taking ME seriously and making me feel worthy of my own love.

I think this was meant to be supportive........but.........

There is nothing wrong with a nutritionist or seeking medical help for depression/anxiety for what it's worth!
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Those closest to us tend to have the loudest voices. The words have more weight to move and influence you, for good or bad.

What's important is to remember that opinions and facts are intrinsically ALWAYS opposite, and no matter WHOM these words come from that fundamental truth never changes.

Opinion: The one you love believes that nutritionists, therapy, anxiety and depression is a load of crap.

Fact: Nutritionists exist to help people meet their dietary needs when they are unable. Therapy exists to help people meet their minds needs when they are not able, especially for those with high anxiety and depression.

Listen to the facts. See the nutritionist, and see a therapist. I believe the one you love is coming from a place of good intentions and seeks to motivate you in the only way they know how. It is is clearly not working. Accept his words, but don't believe in them.
  • Amf5627622
    Options

I don't know what to do.

Go see the nutritionist. There is really no downside to exploring every avenue. Try not to get to down about it - you WILL reach your goals.
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with a nutritionist or seeking medical help for depression/anxiety for what it's worth!

Agreed. And sometimes depression runs too deep to 'self-treat'.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

I don't know what to do.

May I be blunt?

Ignore the advice of whoever this person in your life is. They're just wrong. Going to a nutritionist certainly isn't going to hurt if you find a good one. And therapy is essential for people struggling with depression. It's dangerous to listen to this person.

Take care of yourself. That's the most important thing.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I find it incredulous that anyone who cares for you would say that trying to better your life through avenues you haven't already tried, is a load of crap. Easy to say when that person isn't the one going through what you are! I totally support you going to a nutritionist. We can all give advise but they are trained and certified to deal with you and your weight loss journey. Give it a try! What do you have to lose? Besides weight?!! :flowerforyou:
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you already know the bf is a bit of a jerk when it comes to you taking care of yourself. (Not pulling any punches here, hope that's okay.) So why are you thinking about listening to him now? Yes, you can do it yourself. And part of doing it yourself is getting the information, resources, and support you need. So go see the nutritionist if you think it would help you. And keep taking care of your mental health too, while you're at it.
  • kellasaurusrawrrex
    Options
    It depends...
    If you ave to pay for the nutritionist I wouldn't bother!!

If you stick to lean foods, veggies...etc...! Exercising...you WILL be fine...
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Definitely go see the nutritionist if that is what you feel is best for you!! It sucks that you are not getting the support that you need! But you will find motivation, support and inspiration on MFP! Hang in there and stay strong!
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem with my ex .... particularly with the whole "depression and anxiety is crap" part! Some people just don't get it, but you can't let them stop you from looking after you!!!! I did and that's when I ended up in the worst shape, physically and mentally, I have ever been in!
    Feel free to add me, happy to support you :-)
  • scicco
    scicco Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    There is never anything wrong with getting professional advice when you need it. Unfortunately most people who have never suffered with depression can't understand why you just can't shake it off, the same as those who have never been overweight think it's easy to eat well and exercise. You know what you need and if that is the advice and support of professionals then that's what you should do. Maybe you should rethink your need for those people in your life who are not supportive.........
    Take care of yourself and always do what's best for you
  • livelaughlove1985
    Options
    When I went to see a nutritionist, i found it a waste of time. she told me what i already knew. I know how to lose weight and be healthy but because i suffer with depression, i cant motivate myself to do it. id recomment CBT for depression first, then once that is sorted, work on your weight. thats what i did and it worked for a year. but i have recently become depressed again and i have started to put on weight. i know that i can do it but im really struggling. hopefully this site will help. good luck.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think he's against seeing a nutritionist. If he's like me, he doesn't think one is necessary.

Use the food diary here. It's a great tool to help you understand and educate you. I've actually taken printouts to the doctors with me.

I'm also cheap so I hit up my physical trainer friends sometimes and have them take a look at what I'm eating. Shoot, I can even take a screen cap and put it to facebook for them to comment on. This one girl, I think she's brilliant, told me "Damn, Tom! Why are you having hummus on pita? Don't you realize that's just carbs on carbs?!?!?!"

And then, one of my MFP buddies looked at what I was eating and gave me some great advice on sodium intake and water retention. And every once in a while, I post a status update inviting people to look at what I ate.

Anyways, there's also some great books out there. I don't think he's being unsupportive. Maybe a little cheap... but we're in a recession!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

Agreed. And sometimes depression runs too deep to 'self-treat'.

Agree with this. It's ok to ask for help! Whether it's for nutrition, or for depression, or anxiety, or whatever. Posts like the above are why people like me feel shame and embarassment and wait unnecessary YEARS to seek help for things that we are told we should be able to control on our own. While I no longer take medication for anxiety and depression, and I do believe that my healthier diet and more active lifestyle definitely contribute to my feelings of wellbeing, for a time in my life I NEEDED that help from resources outside of myself.