Eggs & Cholesterol

Ok all you hear bout is how the cholesterol in eggs is so bad for you. According to my MFP . I'm supposed to have only 300mg per day. I sometimes eat 2 Egglands Best eggs for breakfast with my bowl of Total. Of course the 2 eggs have 350mg by themselves . I've heard now that 80% of the cholesterol in eggs never even gets absorbed in your body anyway. My total Cholesterol was only 126 .. So should I even pay attention to the high number on my MFP ?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    I don't, I eat around 3 eggs a day and my numbers come back just fine, eggs and cholesterol was the big hype in the 80's, 90's was fat hence all our low-fat products and in the 00's it's been carbs carbs carbs, give it another couple years and it'll start all over again.

Others may have problems with it, what works for me doesn't mean it'll work for you :)
  • jen2607
    jen2607 Posts: 148 Member
    There are a lot of nutrients in the egg yolks that you don't get in the whites alone. I feel it's worth it to eat the whole egg, cholesterol and all. Also, organic eggs have less "bad stuff" and more "good stuff" than non-organic. It's worth the few cents difference to me.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Ok all you hear bout is how the cholesterol in eggs is so bad for you. According to my MFP . I'm supposed to have only 300mg per day. I sometimes eat 2 Egglands Best eggs for breakfast with my bowl of Total. Of course the 2 eggs have 350mg by themselves . I've heard now that 80% of the cholesterol in eggs never even gets absorbed in your body anyway. My total Cholesterol was only 126 .. So should I even pay attention to the high number on my MFP ?

I don't know about the "80% of cholesterol in eggs never gets absorbed". That triggers my must-be-a-myth-spider-senses. I could be wrong though and you could be right. I've never researched it. BUT unless you've been advised to watch your dietary cholesterol levels by an medical doctor, you probably don't need to worry. Your liver makes plenty of cholesterol regardless of how much you eat. It regulates your cholesterol levels. You can have low levels while eating a diet high in cholesterol, and conversely, you can have high levels while eating a low cholesterol diet. It depends on genetics, obesity, and a host of other factors. The average person can eat eggs without a problem.