Going meatless -- Looking for recipe ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Just remember that a vegetarian diet is usually very high carb...so be careful, you need a protein source for each meal..look at tofu, soy, beans, watch the nuts, cause those calories really add up quickly, meatless protein substitues and whey powders to get your protein in. Protein keeps the body satisfied for longer periods, helps to prevent you from over eating and provides the muscles the protein to be able to grow....so don't leave it out!! whichever form you choose make sure it's at every meal

Great advise, I know the importance of protien, and want to make sure that it stays in my kids diet (as well as mine). But I am trying to reduce the unhealthy fats and high calorie foods that we have gotten into the bad habit of eating frequently. I have been substituting quinoa for rice, potatoes and other common carb sides in my meals.

I mainly want my girls to learn how to cook and eat healthier food with more vegetables. I've always struggled with weight, and I don't want them to.

Good for you being a role model for your kids!! It will certainly make their lives easier if they learn how to eat well from you! I never learned how to eat well and it's taken me 10 years to figure it out.

I totally agree protein is essential in your diet but meatless substitutes are just as crappy as eating any other processed food. So use them sparingly. And even though I'm mainly meatless (I eat meat 1-2x/wk) I make my protein requirement on beans and nuts everyday and I keep those carbs to around 150g/day. Generally speaking 125g carbs is considered low carb so don't believe that meatless necessarily means carbo-loaded! I still eat bread, rice and potatoes just not all 3 in a single day :smile:

Another awesome easy vegetarian dish is to take a small butternut squash, cut off the top and de-seed. Pre-bake in a 350deg oven about 10-15 mins. Fill the cavity with vegetarian baked beans and bake again until the beans are heated through. It's super simple and awesome. I then use the top of the squash to make roasted veggies or butternut squash soup! Good luck :-)
  • ShabokaMegz
    ShabokaMegz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    this site gives ideas to boost protein for the vegetarian/vegan diets!

http://www.womenfitness.net/protien-option.htm

there is a protein calculator as well letting u know how much protein you should be consuming on a daily basis (friendly for the pregnant and nursing mother as well) 8o)

oh and favorite taco recipe! 8o)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/tofu-tacos-recipe/index.html
  • b6bloke
    b6bloke Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My Chilli

1 onion chopped
    3 cloves of garlic chopped
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    1 tin of red kidney beans
    2 tables spoons of tomatoe puree
    150 grams of Quorn mince
    salt
    pepper
    teaspoon of cinammon
    teaspoon of coriander powder
    teaspoon of cumin
    chopped fresh coriander
    half a teaspoon of chilli powder
    juice of squeezed lime

works out to around 135 to 150 calories a portion not including rice

My bolognaise sauce
    Throw all these into a bowl and use a blender on it

tin of chopped tomatoes
    tomatoe puree
    garlic
    mixed herbs but some fresh basil too
    salt and pepper
    a splash of olive oil
    lemon juice
    splash of balsamic vinegar

the rest:
    1 onion chopped
    mushrooms
    150g of quorn mince

this is between 120 and 130 calories per portion
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow veggie here

Homemade veggie burgers
    Tinned mixed spicy beans
    Grated Carrot
    Mushrooms
    Onions
    Quorn Mince
    Plain flour
    1 egg
    Breadcrumbs

Mix it all together, leave in fridge overnight.

Make into patties coat with flour and shallow fry.

Also....

Quorn Fillets, with a little grilled haloumi cheese wrapped in veggie bacon. Wrap in foil and bake in the oven. Serve with rice, with chopped mushrooms, onions, jalepenos, sweet chilli saice
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian. My wife is not. When we are having friends over, we often make vegetarian tacos substituting morningstar crumbles for ground beef. Our friends definitely eat their share and say they don't mind the substitution.
  • claresusan
    claresusan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • raines_eric
    Options
  • katjohn83
    katjohn83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ericat18
    ericat18 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of my favorites-
    Tomato basil soup http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tomato-basil-soup-10000000225897/
    Curry coconut lentil soup http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/coconut-red-lentil-soup-recipe.html
    Black bean and butternut squash chili (good garnished with a little sour cream) http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-squash-chili-50400000115488/
    Kale almond pesto (I just make the pesto and don't do the beans part. Serve on pasta or make a pesto pizza) http://newhope360.com/food/spicy-kale-almond-pesto-and-white-bean-pasta
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Bump :) This can help me also!!!!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    BUMP

I don't want to go totally meatless, but I think that doing so a couple of times a week would be good for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am changing my diet to include more vegetables and less meat. I am not doing this because I have any problems with the consumption of meat (moral, health or otherwise) I just want to eat healthier. I will still occasionally include meat in my meals, but am limiting it to a few times per month for now. I also want to keep dairy in my kids diet.

If you have any favorite recipies that you are willing to share, please post them here. I would love to get some ideas for healthy, plant based meals that are hearty enough to sate the appetite of my teenaged daughter, and still keep us within a healthy calorie intake for the meal.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated. (:
    Does your sig know your going meatless....................................................................I'd be sad if my wife told me that.................

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    www.fatfreevegan.com

A zillion awesome recipes!