Eating whole wheat, oatmeal, margerine, and splenda is bad?

Options
I was told these foods are bad... WHY?

because i practically live on them:(

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.splendaexposed.com/

Splenda is a very harmful chemical compound. I wouldn't worry about the rest in moderation.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    whole wheat and oatmeal are excellent foods. can't really speak for the other two.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    By whom?

I personally don't eat margarine and splenda because is processed. I'd rather have butter, stevia and sugar.

I eat oatmeal, the old fashioned kind, not the little packets. As far as wheat I don't eat much because of the way it makes me feel. If I want bread I have Ezekiel bread, but don't eat much bread at all.

So out of those I'd say margarine and Splenda are bad, but it all depends on how you feel about processed foods.
  • Amf5627622
    Options

I'm going down with ya then - cause I have whole wheat and Splenda daily - Yikes!
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I get so sick of hearing the word "bad" foods - one of my favorite things one of my instructors always said to me was "there are no bad foods, only bad diets." all of these in moderation are okay -- just not all four at every meal! See where I'm going with this? In terms of splenda -- artificial sweeteners are and have been controversial for many years with scientific studies that have been anything but conclusive either way. Take everything you read with a grain of salt .. or splenda :)
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is very, very good for you. Whole wheat is good, too. Margarine, like any fat, should be eaten only in small amounts - olive oil, fish oil or avocado would be better sources of fats.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Margerine and Splenda are bad because they are processed.

Oatmeal and whole wheat I feel are bad because if I ate them everyday, in moderation (so 1 serving of each) I would gain weight like crazy! I can have them every once in a while (like tonight I have whole wheat bread) and be okay. But everyday is what made me fat.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I get so sick of hearing the word "bad" foods - one of my favorite things one of my instructors always said to me was "there are no bad foods, only bad diets." all of these in moderation are okay -- just not all four at every meal! See where I'm going with this? In terms of splenda -- artificial sweeteners are and have been controversial for many years with scientific studies that have been anything but conclusive either way. Take everything you read with a grain of salt .. or splenda :)

Totally agree with this. Anything and everything in moderation. I need a food plan I can live with.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I guess it all depends on ones idea of what is good ( or acceptable)... I find in the health and fitness world there are varying opinions.

On a side note: I think I will be having oatmeal tomorrow....
  • kkmbs7
    kkmbs7 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with MODERATION!!! I think all 4 of these foods are fine......even the Splenda....if you only have a litttle bit each day :)
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options

Oatmeal and whole wheat I feel are bad because if I ate them everyday, in moderation (so 1 serving of each) I would gain weight like crazy! I can have them every once in a while (like tonight I have whole wheat bread) and be okay. But everyday is what made me fat.

I do not think everyday is what " In moderation" means....
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I eat neither Splenda nor margarine because they are artificial. I prefer my foods all-natural. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with oatmeal and whole wheat in moderation.
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    Everyone has a different story on almost any food. Splenda and margerine - horrid foods! Chemicals, processed, nothing natural. Oatmeal and whole wheat - if you are gluten tolerant you should be good with those.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    what on earth is wrong with whole wheat and oatmeal? i'm sorry, but i think there is a misunderstanding here about something. who would say eating whole wheat is unhealthy?
  • mgleason01
    mgleason01 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Totally agree! Great Advice!! Everything in moderation!
  • Jenbtech
    Jenbtech Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There are "bad foods". If they arent foods.

Spenda isnt a food. Its a chemical created in a lab. I stopped putting fake food in my body for that reason.

Whole wheat isnt "bad", but it raises your glycogen above the optimal level so it turns to fat more easily. If you eat it, but be warned.

Margarine can contain trans fats and isnt as good as butter. And butter (or most dairy) isnt really good for you either, but better than margarine.

I try to only eat foods now days that can spoil if kept over a week in open air. There are a few exceptions as I cannot make almond milk easily myself, or buy meat in quantity without freezing it. But almost of the foods I eat regularly have less than 5 ingredients if prepackaged. And I am learning to cook because of it too!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Everything is bad...everything will kill you...so eat up!

I eat oatmeal EVERY single day! I eat white pasta, butter, sugar and I'm just fine. I hate foods that are labeled bad. There is no good or bad food...just good or bad habits
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Everyone has a different story on almost any food. Splenda and margerine - horrid foods! Chemicals, processed, nothing natural. Oatmeal and whole wheat - if you are gluten tolerant you should be good with those.

Sugars are chemicals. Fats...proteins...water...oxygen in the air...all chemicals

Regardless, I don't see any legitimate argument that Splenda is unsafe. Margarine, too, is OK as long as you have room in your diet for the nutritional value it offers.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options

I do not think everyday is what " In moderation" means....

A lot of people have oatmeal every single day for breakfast. Same with whole wheat... Whole wheat pasta, bread... whatever... a lot of people have it everyday.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Good timing on this because I was researching Splenda pretty hard for an article today.

Bottom line is this: it starts with natural sugar, then in a patented process chlorine is added to make a non-natural sweet substance called "sucralose". Then it's bulked out with some additional natural carbs, put in a packet and sold to you.

There have been hundreds of safety tests but most of them were on animals and the human trials are somewhat inadequate. We know that some sucralose is absorbed into the body and metabolized - despite the parent companies claims that it passes straight through you untouched. That's where the worry lies, because it's only been FDA approved for a decade and that's not really enough time to see if it harms people in the long term.

So if you really have a sweet tooth, it's your choice to determine if the benefits of splenda (low calorie/carb) outweigh the benefits of natural sugar (natural and proven safe over thousands of years of consumption but makes you fatter quicker.) Ultimately you're better off weaning yourself off both and just taking your tea or coffee unsweetened imo. (I'm a hypocrit in saying this btw because I still consume between 1 and 3 packets of splenda a day (sugar isn't an option for me because I'm diabetic).

Hope that helps with the Splenda part at least.