A friend died today. RIP Sarah Burke!

Options
Her name was Sarah Burke. I went all through elementary and high school with her. She was a professional skiier... she broke into a sport dominated by men, Ski Super-Pipe, and lobbyed for YEARS to get it put into the Olympics. She got it in, just after the last Olympic games. She was supposed to compete in 2014, and now she'll never get there. :brokenheart:

She was beautiful, kind, and always energetic. She worked hard in school, and harder on the slopes. I've never met anyone like her before, & I'm truly touched to have known her.

I'll always remember working on french projects with her, borrowing her shirts for school dances, & ski tips on Friday Night trips to Horseshoe Valley Ski Resort... where she was nice enough to give me tips on how to ski.

She was one of the nicest people I've ever met, and the world has suffered a great loss today. :cry:

Replies

• shasha_84
    shasha_84 Posts: 170
    Options
    I live in Utah and it was on the local news. So sad :( My heart goes out to her family and friends
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Plus everyone loves Canadians. :flowerforyou:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to hear this on the news tonight. It's always sad, and of course moreso for someone like you who knew her personally. I am so sorry for your loss.
  • katiegc
    katiegc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I live near Aspen and everyone in our ski community knew about Sarah Burke. What a tremendous talent and person. So sorry for your loss. She will be remembered for everything she contributed to her sport and for the wonderful person it seemed like she was.
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    I am so very sorry! I heard the story here in Florida. My condolences to all lives she touched! :brokenheart:
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I know the pain of losing a friend. My heart goes out to you and her family. Such a young life taken, she will touch so many.
  • COOKINATOR
    COOKINATOR Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I heard about that today Im so sorry for your loss
  • hsnbro
    hsnbro Posts: 55
    Options
    this is so sad :( our thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends - god bless
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Canada is mourning the loss of a great athlete and you are mourning the loss of a close friend. Our thoughts are with you.
  • trout78
    trout78 Posts: 102
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your friend....may she live on in your memories!
  • oriyental
    Options
    Very tragic, blessings go out to her family! A Canadian inspiration
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I heard today. Sorry so sorry your loss.....heart breaking. I don't live too far from where she grew up and have watched her ski. Feel free to message me or add me if you need someone to vent or talk too! I don't know you but am sending you a hug!
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I am so so sorry for your immeasurable loss :(
  • shaynes14
    shaynes14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have heard of her and her promising future in the sport. I am sorry for your loss.
  • BlondeLisa1
    BlondeLisa1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's a sober day here near Park City. :(

Such a tragedy.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    My heart was sad to hear of her passing today. My prayers go out to all whose hearts she touched!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    :(
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry for the loss of your friend...
  • AttyMomOf3
    AttyMomOf3 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    RIP Sarah Burke. My condolences to you and to all whose lives she touched personally.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Her death is news everywhere, and everyone is sad. :( I was feeling horrible for her friends and family all day, and now I find a post from someone who was her friend...so I can offer my condolences personally to at least one. Sarah Burke did great things, and accomplished so much. She was taken too soon, but she packed a lot in to those 29 years. I'm sorry. :( Hugs from Northern Ontario.