What to get? HMR? BodyMedia? BodyBugg? FitBit?

Options
I need to know what you have and what you like/dislike about it. I like the idea of tracking all day but will it you workout calories? I want to be able to put those in MFP. Just not sure which to buy so I would love to hear your opinions! TIA

Replies

• mammafrog
    mammafrog Posts: 176
    Options
    anybody?
  • CrystalBailey04
    Options
    I have a fitbit and love that it tracks my steps all day. I enter actual exercise into MFP still and they sync and MFP works out the net calories burned. I am always trying to "beat" my best day on number of steps so it has helped to make me more active too. The sleep monitor is an added bonus for me as well.
  • rrgrove
    rrgrove Posts: 73
    Options
    ive hear the polar ft4 is an awesome hrm but i dont actually have any of these yet
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia Fit Core. (It's the smaller unit on the armband.) They have dropped the monthly fee down to $6.95, if that is a concern.

You can always go into Activity Manager on the Body Media website and under the calories burned section is a slider that you can set to just the time you were working out to figure out your calorie burn for a workout, if you don't have the display. (I don't have the display.)
  • CrystalBailey04
    Options
    Other reasons I like the fitbit, no monthly fee & it is not bulky and can be hidden. I have a professional job that requires me to wear suits a lot and I can easily wear the fitbit without it being in the way or having a bulge sticking out on my arm :)
  • mammafrog
    Options
    The fee I am not to worried about. Does the fitbit track calories?
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    i have a polar hrm and its great, even seems to communicate with some gym equipment - certainly shows my burns are higher than mfp thinks :)
  • Osu2k1
    Osu2k1 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia Fit Core. (It's the smaller unit on the armband.) They have dropped the monthly fee down to $6.95, if that is a concern.

You can always go into Activity Manager on the Body Media website and under the calories burned section is a slider that you can set to just the time you were working out to figure out your calorie burn for a workout, if you don't have the display. (I don't have the display.)
    I have the previous generation (bought last year) and I had a bodybugg as well. I love these! I like that I know I burned 576 calories doing the C25k. Or that I burned 431 doing Taekwondo. It also tracks my steps and how I sleep (which is important). You wear it 24/7 and it's not that noticeable on your left triceps. Costco has it on sale and that would be where I'd buy it!

You still have to log your calories. I personally log here, and check my daily burn there. As long as I have a 1000 calorie deficit I am very happy! It really helped me up my weight loss.
  • mammafrog
    Options

I have the previous generation (bought last year) and I had a bodybugg as well. I love these! I like that I know I burned 576 calories doing the C25k. Or that I burned 431 doing Taekwondo. It also tracks my steps and how I sleep (which is important). You wear it 24/7 and it's not that noticeable on your left triceps. Costco has it on sale and that would be where I'd buy it!

You still have to log your calories. I personally log here, and check my daily burn there. As long as I have a 1000 calorie deficit I am very happy! It really helped me up my weight loss.

I think I want the body media. Which do you prefer the media or bugg?
  • mammafrog
    Options
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I got the Bodymedia fit (link) for Christmas. It syncs with my iphone, even though it doesn't sync sleep, you have to sync it with your computer to get that information. I think Bodymedia is working on this feature. I like it. It took me some time to adjust to the difference in calories it said I was burning during a workout vs the machine, so I have played around with the position of it during my workouts. And the more I have worn it, it seems like it has adjusted to my body and how my body works. Other than that I love it, so much I almost forgot to take it off yesterday when I took a shower. Totally forgot about it, whoops, but caught it in time before the water hit it.

I use MFP to track my calories and then log my daily total of calories into the activity manager on the bodymedia fit. It gives me a better idea of how I am doing through out the day.
  • mammafrog
    Options
    Thank you! I think this is what I am going to get. I am just not sure about wearing it all day when I go places
  • kat2475
    kat2475 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia Fit bluetooth model and I love it. It syncs with my iPhone so I have an idea of my calorie burn throughout the day as well as tells me how well I am sleeping at night. The only thing I don't like about it is the food tracking which is why I track here. I track my food here and enter my calories manually in the activity manager on the BodyMedia site and make sure I end the day with a calorie deficit of 500-1000. It took me a couple days to get used to wearing the armband but now I don't even think about it. I wear it while out and about and think nothing of it. I don't think I'd wear it to a wedding or something but for my everyday errands, it's no big deal. What I like about it the most is that it keeps me motivated to get up and move more. If I notice I'm falling short of my calorie deficit or my steps goal, I get up and move. I've been very pleased with mine.
  • mammafrog
    Options
    OK thanks to ebay I just got a polar HRM cheap and am getting a fitbit and bodymedia so i will see what I like best
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia Fit bluetooth model and I love it. It syncs with my iPhone so I have an idea of my calorie burn throughout the day as well as tells me how well I am sleeping at night. The only thing I don't like about it is the food tracking which is why I track here. I track my food here and enter my calories manually in the activity manager on the BodyMedia site and make sure I end the day with a calorie deficit of 500-1000. It took me a couple days to get used to wearing the armband but now I don't even think about it. I wear it while out and about and think nothing of it. I don't think I'd wear it to a wedding or something but for my everyday errands, it's no big deal. What I like about it the most is that it keeps me motivated to get up and move more. If I notice I'm falling short of my calorie deficit or my steps goal, I get up and move. I've been very pleased with mine.

I agree with this... I have the bugg version 3 I think. I use the digital display to track my calories and it has a "trip" setting so that I can record what I burn for a certain time. I LOVE seeing the 24 hour picture and like katchez75 I don't notice wearing it anymore.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar ft4 HRM............it tracks calories burned...........love it

Would like to know about the FitBit though??
  • bigfrank2
    Options
    Nile just announced today the Nike Fitband. You wear it on your wrist and it tracks the steps taken, hrm, calories burned etc. It will link up to your computer via bluetooth or it has a built in USB port(probably micro). It is supposed to retail for $149 which compared with the really good HRM is reasonable. I would check that out before buying anything else and once it comes out it may cause other monitors to lower prices.
  • LadyFaile
    Options
    OK thanks to ebay I just got a polar HRM cheap and am getting a fitbit and bodymedia so i will see what I like best

Thanks for mentioning getting a HRM on eBay. I just found a Polar FT7 for a good price.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I so need to get one!!!!
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Bodybuggs are made by Bodymedia, by the way. I have a Bodybugg and didn't know that before ordering. Just thought I'd put that out there. I love my Bodybugg. :)