desperate for a taste of shirataki!

Options
2»

Replies

• bookwormie
    bookwormie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I get them at my local grocery store, in the section with all the vegetarian stuff. (There's no Wal-Marts in the city where I live.) I'm not incredibly fond of the pure yam (shirataki) noodles, but House Foods make "tofu shirataki," which is a mixture of tofu and yam that I think tastes better.
  • daisynsunshine
    Options
    We had these tonight and they were good:)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I just bought them today at QFC (a Kroger store), first time I've seen them there--next to the Tofu.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just got some online at miraclenoodles.com The shipment came within 48 hrs and they are amazing. They even have miracle rice!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I also love them. The first time I was going to try them I threw them out because I thought they were spoiled do to the smell when I opened the package. Now I just take them out and rinse them off and boil them the correct amount of time.

They do not have the same texture as real pasta, that is for sure, but at 20 calories a serving, they are a great side if you flavor them up. I will use either a little bit of sesame oil, crack black pepper and fresh grated parm or some chimmy churry and maybe some soy or rice cheese, if I am feeling bold, some shredded swiss.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I tried shirataki several times a couple of years ago and, while I could get rid of the smell fairly easily, the texture was too mushy and I finally threw in the towel.
    Then I found Fiber Gourmet and my life was changed forever!
    Reg pasta 2oz. : 210cal 2g fiber
    FG pasta 2oz : 130cal 18g fiber

They have many shapes, and even several flavors in the fettuccine shape like tomato, spinach, mushroom, lemon pepper, red and black pepper.... list goes on.

AND, they taste and feel like real pasta.
    But they over-cook within a 30 second period and get a bit mushy, so baby the pot and all is well.
    Oh, and a 2oz serving is really cheap compared to shirataki.

www.fibergourmet.com
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options

(I tried them once at a friend's house and found them rubbery, nasty, stinky and downright inedible! Whenever I see them at the store, I cringe a little bit! LOL )

^^ What they said...
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you're from but H-E-B in Texas has them! They are yummy! And you don't feel guilty eating all of the noodles cause it's only 40 calories :)

I'm in Texas.. but have not seen them at HEB (perhaps I'm looking in the wrong section). Which section could I find them? TIA :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    I tried shirataki several times a couple of years ago and, while I could get rid of the smell fairly easily, the texture was too mushy and I finally threw in the towel.

They have many shapes, and even several flavors in the fettuccine shape like tomato, spinach, mushroom, lemon pepper, red and black pepper.... list goes on.

But they over-cook within a 30 second period and get a bit mushy, so baby the pot and all is well.

www.fibergourmet.com

This has peaked my interest! I think I am going to give it a try. Have you tried the crackers?
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Before they started stocking them in my local store I ordered them online from http://www.miraclenoodle.com/default.aspx
  • duranchick72
    duranchick72 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have tried them and they are really good. I used a recipe from HungryGirl.com and made soup. They have an odd smell that goes away, don't be afraid! I found them at a small grocery store by me.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

www.fibergourmet.com

aw wish they had it in my area :frown: maybe I'll order online to try... thanks!!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I found them at asian stores. Have any around you?

I really like them. Not for anything like spaghetti, but for stirfry they are delicious!
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

www.fibergourmet.com

This has peaked my interest! I think I am going to give it a try. Have you tried the crackers?

The only ones they had in stock were the 'cheese-it' type. I love them, so does my teenage daughter. She takes them to school every day for an afternoon snack.

They just brought up a new production plant and have the other flavors back in stock.
    And how could I forget their version of Kraft mac n cheese? Awesome! That's always been one of my guilty pleasures. Now it's not so guilty!

When I mentioned how inexpensive a serving is, I'm including shipping cost in there, since I don't think they currently sell anywhere but their website.

So worth checking out. ( I sound like I own stock or something...)
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    My publix has them.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options

www.fibergourmet.com

The only ones they had in stock were the 'cheese-it' type. I love them, so does my teenage daughter. She takes them to school every day for an afternoon snack.

They just brought up a new production plant and have the other flavors back in stock.
    And how could I forget their version of Kraft mac n cheese? Awesome! That's always been one of my guilty pleasures. Now it's not so guilty!

When I mentioned how inexpensive a serving is, I'm including shipping cost in there, since I don't think they currently sell anywhere but their website.

So worth checking out. ( I sound like I own stock or something...)

Haha, you sound like me when I find something I really like. I may just order a bunch of stuff to get free shipping. We order the organic turkey sticks by the case since they keep for a year to save 50 bucks. These products have a shelf life of 2 years so its not like they would go to waste.

Thanks so much for the tip.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I did NOT like them. Bought 2 bags of it once and had to throw the 2nd one out. Was gross to me. Found them in my local grocery store in their refrigerator tofu section which was near the veggies and other produce.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Kroger and Harris Teeter carry them.
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Storing for later =)