Eating whole wheat, oatmeal, margerine, and splenda is bad?

Options

Replies

• mdollian
    mdollian Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later :)
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, especially old fashioned rolled oats or steel cut oats, are good for you. The highly processed instant oats with loads of sugar - not so good.

Wheat is getting a bad rap now because of the "gluten free" craze. I have friends who are gluten intolerant (celiac and non-celiac), but for most people, whole wheat wouldn't be a "bad food." Again, the least processed the better.

Splenda, as others have said, isn't a food; it's a chemical compound. I do not believe artificial sweeteners are the best thing to have in your diet on a regular basis.

While eschewing it most of my life, I do now eat margarine instead of butter because I decided to follow a vegan diet. I use very little, however, and choose a non-hydrogenated margarine.
  • veggiepho
    Options
    Wheat and Oatmeal will spike blood sugar. Margarine is gross, butter is much better for you. Don't be afraid of fats.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Yes, they turned me into a zombie.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I get so sick of hearing the word "bad" foods - one of my favorite things one of my instructors always said to me was "there are no bad foods, only bad diets." all of these in moderation are okay -- just not all four at every meal! See where I'm going with this? In terms of splenda -- artificial sweeteners are and have been controversial for many years with scientific studies that have been anything but conclusive either way. Take everything you read with a grain of salt .. or splenda :)

I like how you said that ;)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Wheat and Oatmeal will spike blood sugar. Margarine is gross, butter is much better for you. Don't be afraid of fats.

You make one good point, one personal opinion, and one rediculous un-educated statement in the above... I'll let you figure out which is which... :huh:
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Splenda is horrible; I wouldn't even class it as food. As far as I remember, the longest study done on humans was only 14 days long. Sorry, I refuse to be a guinea pig.

Margarine is repulsive. It is made of cheap, crappy oils and its original colour is grey. They dye it yellow to make it more appealing, and from what I remember, it's one molecule away from being plastic, and your body doesn't recognize it as food. Butter tastes better and is far better for you.

Good sugar replacements are stevia and xylitol, but honestly, I use raw honey. It's FULL of nutrients. Store-bought honey has been pasteurized, so all those lovely live enzymes have been killed. See if you have a bee keeper or farmer's market near you. That stuff is pure gold. It heals cuts, burns, etc. without even a trace of a scar. It's worth reading up on.

This is interesting, wouldn't you say?

"The FDA denied approval of aspartame for 16 years, then caved in to political/economic pressure when Don Rumsfeld, CEO of the manufacturer, was brought to Washington by Ronald Reagan. A new FDA Commissioner was appointed to approve it then became a consultant for NutraSweet's public relations firm for $1,000/day on a 10 year contract. Forthcoming has been a global epidemic of disability and death. One might expect FDA to be more cautious next time, yet FDA approved the toxic chlorocarbon Splenda without hesitation and without any long term testing on human subjects."

The FDA is a joke.

I have oatmeal for breakfast every day, mixed with honey, cinnamon, almond milk, and a scoop of protein powder.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    http://www.splendaexposed.com/

Splenda is a very harmful chemical compound. I wouldn't worry about the rest in moderation.
    oh my,, still? it been debate since 1976! I say it's very safe
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I don't use it, but can someone explain to me why sucralose (Splenda) is so terrible for you? All I ever see are links to websites trying to scare me into buying something, but never see any actual studies proving it causes cancer, eyes to fall out, etc.

BTW, sucralose is in a ton of low calorie products, you'll have to watch for those too if you're trying to avoid Splenda.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I love when people use the argument that margarine is bad for you because it's one molecule away from plastic. Water is one molecule away from hydrogen peroxide. That must be even worse for you!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    http://www.splendaexposed.com/

Splenda is a very harmful chemical compound. I wouldn't worry about the rest in moderation.

It says at the bottom of the website that the results are inconclusive. Thanks for the scare mongering.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love when people use the argument that margarine is bad for you because it's one molecule away from plastic. Water is one molecule away from hydrogen peroxide. That must be even worse for you!

Hydrogen Peroxide has a lot of health benefits. Plastic is made of petrochemicals and pretty much should be avoided where food and water is concerned. I use glass storage containers, stainless steel water bottles, etc.

Apples and oranges.

We have major health issues these days because our environment is so heavily polluted. The air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we consume, etc. Our Grandparents were more healthy for various reasons -- mainly because they moved more and consumed REAL FOOD.

We live in the world of Frankenfoods, high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, sucralose, super long words we can barely pronounce, etc. Most of the food bought in stores DOES NOT DECOMPOSE. And then we wonder why diabetes is rampant, why the average person is overweight, cancer is on the rise, etc. Our bodies are overloaded with chemicals they were not designed to deal with.

People sacrifice health and common sense for pleasure all the time. I'd rather enjoy a piece of really good high-quality chocolate than eat some weird sugar-free concoction that has zero health benefits and has an odd texture and taste...but that's me. Some people prefer to eat that weird chemical sludge the manufacturer calls "food", and that's okay with me.

I think we've all learned by now that our choices today determine our outcome tomorrow. To each their own.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Meh. I eat whole wheat bread every day and regularly consume splenda and becel margarine. If this was all I ate each day, it'd be pretty bad. But in moderation? Not an issue, in my opinion.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Just watch the movie "Fathead". It will explain everything. It's free on Youtube.
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I was using Splenda on a daily basis and started to get serious muscle pain. I started researching splenda and found it was the cause. As soon as I removed it from my diet all of those pains disappeared. Use stevia or agave as a sweetener. Whole wheat isn't great for you. Research it! Especially if you tend to carry weight around your middle.
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Less processed the better.
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Just about every study ever done on foods gets repudiated at some point. Do some research. I like eggs. Are they good for you or bad for you. Depends on what report you read. Same with my coffee. For some reason coffee is evil but there are very few studies showing negative effects from it and those tend to be 'suggests a link' reports. Nothing concrete. There are more reports about the benefits than the negative effects.

I eat foods based on whether or not I like them and how they make me feel. I gave up sodas and my heart burn went away. But I wasn't a big soda drinker to begin with so it doesn't bother me. But then fruit juices tend to have the same effect. If you like them and want to drink them fine, just count the calories.

Just for the record, I eat bacon, eggs, white bread, fried foods, butter, sugar and drink whole milk and I have lost 62 lbs so far. I don't eat as much as I used to, and eat more fruits which I like, but if I have to give up anything that I love, like some of the diets I've tried in the past, I know this will not work for me. Biggest change I made was getting off my butt and exercising again. I am 53 years old, blood pressure was 111/73 this morning and cholesterol is well in normal levels. They were both high a year ago, but not since I lost the weight. The weight is the culprit not the food.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I was told these foods are bad... WHY?

Because people often make statements about foods that do not consider the entire diet.

Context is important.
  • rachyrach1234
    Options
    Splenda was an accident....it has chlorine in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    whole wheat and oatmeal turn to sugar in your body
    and margarine is fake flavoring and processed oils.

thats why.

Just think, when you go swimming every single pore in your body is absorbing chlorine. You might even swallow a little. Accidents, mistakes and chance have brought us a lot of interesting and useful things, some great, some not so great.

lol your right....since we go swimming and maybe swallow a little chlorine....we should all just knowingly swallow it and put in in our coffee and anything else we eat that would normally have regular sugar in it
    cuz REAL NATURAL sugar is wayyyyyyy worse then FAKE CHLORINE PROCESSED POWDER
    thats ridiculous