Goodbye fat, hello wrinkles :-(

Options
Don't get me wrong, I love my new weight of 10 stone and it is more than 10 years since I have been there but my face looks, well, er.... raggy.

When I look back at my double chins and smooth cheeks I don't like what I see but it seems I've gone from fat sumo baby face to old woman overnight.

The weight loss around my face has left me with a scrawny neck with loose skin, deep creases around my mouth and under my eyes enhancing puffy bags and fat cheeks. The only thing I like is the fact I can now see cheek bones but that is marred by the fact that my jaw now looks too square.

I suppose I just have to accept that if I had always had have maintained a healthy weight then my face would have aged naturally instead of a loss of fat 10 years later leaving it with lumps, lines and bumps; or maybe it would have looked like this normally when I reached my 30's (cough), late 30's (splutter) 40.

Is anyone else finding this? and more importantly any tips on fighting/improving it!

Thanks in advance

Replies

• sshetland
    sshetland Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey, congratulations on your weight loss :-)

I'm can't vouch for this, but I've dieted with Rosemary Conley (books, magazines, online - all excellent), and I remember seeing advertisements for a 'Facial Flex'. It's meant to tone the muscles in your face/neck with regular use to help tackle the problem you describe. You could take a look at that.

Just Google 'Rosemary Conley Facial Flex'. There are probably other things out there along the same line too.
  • krissybug72
    krissybug72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I was on WW years ago one of the ways that said to combat loose skin was by drinking mik. Also, I believe fish oil and biotin are 2 supplements that help with cell repair. Moisturize and make sure your cream contains retinol A. Maybe get a facial or do a micro-derm abrasion to reveal "new skin". Good luck!!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Bump - just noticed this problem myself :(
  • DawnOssett
    DawnOssett Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice.

I have tried some similar methods to the suggestions, but keep them coming:

I have tried facial exercises from a search on the internet but someone (a chap who was trying to sell me Botox at the time) told me not to do this because I was building up my facial muscles and so increasing my lines and you need the face to be slack ("buy my Botox") so the jury's still out on that one.
    I invested in a derma roller - ouch, which just seemed to make my skin ruddy then scabby
    Intensive Wrinkle Reducer - Just the same effect as putting egg-white on, face sags back when washed off.
    I bought 3 sessions of stem cell therapies which left the skin feeling nice but still had the lumps and lines
    and I have bought some vitamins to aid elasticity (not started taking them yet)
    I am avoiding milk and drinking soya milk at the moment so milk is out.

I hear old black and white movie actresses tied cotton under their chins - that's one I haven't tried yet!
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    there is this procedure, I can't remember what it's called but I heard it feels like a bad sunburn, (this sounds disgusting) they peel a few layers of skin and then as the skin repairs it rejuvenates like new. So wrinkles are out the door. I'm sure it would be a little expensive but it's not surgery. And I've seen results, they are FANTASTIC! worth googling
  • DawnOssett
    DawnOssett Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when I went into my old place of work someone said
    "you look good, you haven't been ill have you? I don't like to ask" then another colleague said
    "you are the most successful person I have ever seen lose weight"
    "yes but I've got a few wrinkles now" I felt pretty high until she added
    "What's a few wrinkles to all that fat you had. Well you were a big girl" hmmm a bit of a barbed compliment.

Never mind a few more years added to my life, less aches and pains, a spring in my step and being able to walk up a hill is worth a few bags and wrinkles :smile:
  • siren1974
    Options
    I don't post much but had to reply to this topic. I've recently lost 5 1/2 stone in a relatively short time (I've worked bloody hard) and last week I nipped into work with my little boy (4) One of the fellas there asked "what does he call you? Nan? Gran? Grandma?" I'M 37!!!! I did once read that once you get to a certain age you can either keep your face or keep your body. Just not both :( I guess that's why all those mega thin actresses resort to botox/fillers/surgery
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing the opposite - people are commenting that I look younger! At 49 soon to turn 50 that makes me feel 30! Use good quality moisturiser and enjoy looking more mature!
  • lvllt
    lvllt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There is a saying that when you get to a certain age you either choose between your bum or your face ;) xxxx
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I don't notice it so much in my face, but my arms sure look pretty sad (wrinkly) right now - so much so that I will be uncomfortable wearing shorter sleeves. I know I need to be doing arm work at the gym more than once per week, but having a difficult time fitting that in right now. Am hoping that the gym (near my house) that's supposed to have opened on Jan 1 - will open sometime soon. That will make attendance nice and convenient. Anyway, I'm happy that I lost the weight, I just have more work to do. Wrinkles are part of life for many of us, try not to let it get you down too much. Celebrate your loss - that's key! :flowerforyou:
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think one of the other posters was referring to a Glycolic peel (or chemical peel). It's not as bad as it sounds. It's glycolic acid (which sounds awful! But it's just derived from sugar from what I understand), I use it every day just in my skin care routine, so wasn't bad for me. Some people can be sensitive to it at first so they use a lower concentration and then move up as your skin tolerates it more. It's quite a nice procedure, like a facial, but generally less expensive and you can do it about once a month.

Anyway, I too have the same problem. I was looking into serums now for my skin instead of creams... I'm 39, and have lost almost 40 pounds, so my face looks a little older too. In the summer I look better with a tan (I know, counterintuitive, but I use 50 SPF and still get a tan!!). Anyway, all this rambling to say that I have the same issue and I am also in search of something to keep my skin looking good. Drink lots of water, take fish oils and sleep well... my best advice!! And congrats on hard work paid off! Congrats on your weight loss!
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    yes same here. When I lost a lot of weight a few years ago, I found all of the wrinkles on my face. Now, I have 15 to go but am trying to use dermabrasion and really work on those wrinkles. Hopefully a slight improvement.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take wrinkles over fat any day.
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    This has happened to me too. I've lost around 50lbs and my smile line is so noticeable, mostly on one side of my face which is annoying. It makes me so insecure about my face.

If it's any consolation, I think you look fab!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Yet another reason to lose weight SLOWLY!

Once I hit my original 60lb goal, I switched from 1 lb per week to .5 lbs per week.

It's actually more like .3lbs, and that's OK.

I don't want to end up looking like a prune or have folds of loose skin hanging off.

It's not a race.
  • GretaJane
    GretaJane Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think one of the other posters was referring to a Glycolic peel (or chemical peel). It's not as bad as it sounds. It's glycolic acid (which sounds awful! But it's just derived from sugar from what I understand), I use it every day just in my skin care routine, so wasn't bad for me. Some people can be sensitive to it at first so they use a lower concentration and then move up as your skin tolerates it more. It's quite a nice procedure, like a facial, but generally less expensive and you can do it about once a month.

Anyway, I too have the same problem. I was looking into serums now for my skin instead of creams... I'm 39, and have lost almost 40 pounds, so my face looks a little older too. In the summer I look better with a tan (I know, counterintuitive, but I use 50 SPF and still get a tan!!). Anyway, all this rambling to say that I have the same issue and I am also in search of something to keep my skin looking good. Drink lots of water, take fish oils and sleep well... my best advice!! And congrats on hard work paid off! Congrats on your weight loss!

Hehe.. From low-carb diets to putting sugar on our faces.. :laugh: I would like to try a microdermabrasion one day.
  • blissmanifesto
    Options
    Yes, I am having a similar issue. Since I've lost quite a bit of weight, I can see wrinkles under my eyes that weren't there before, and also deep marionette lines by my mouth. In fact, these days I can accurately judge if I've lost weight or had too much sodium just by looking at the marionette lines. Sadly I do not have any useful advice to offer. I believe that maintaining a strong and flexible body is a much better way of staying truly youthful than worrying about the state of your face. I recommend regular yoga.
    Oh, well, actually I guess I do have some advice: laser treatments at the dermatologist are very effective for resurfacing the skin, although they are expensive and I have not done them myself.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Happened to me last time I lost a lot of weight, My working theory is that I wasn't getting enough protein in my diet. So I'm watching that and also using a loofah, which gets rid of the top layer of old/dying skin and hopefully replacing it with newer/younger looking skin.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    yes same here. When I lost a lot of weight a few years ago, I found all of the wrinkles on my face. Now, I have 15 to go but am trying to use dermabrasion and really work on those wrinkles. Hopefully a slight improvement.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take wrinkles over fat any day.

Yeah to be fair wrinkles aren't a health hazard like having fat is!

Cocoa butter seems to have tightened my skin a little since I've started using it, smooths out all the little bumps and wrinkles for me. I'm not sure on the brand I'm using because I just took it off my mum one day but it looks decently expensive so it might have some quality ingredients.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I agree, my face looks "older". BUT, I'm much rather be more healthy and have a few lines than look CHUBBY with a few less ones, :laugh:
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    could it be we ARE just getting old? lol my kids are getting so big and yes i was called a gran by a tattoo artist when i was enquiring about getting one done(the git) and i'm not even bloody 40 yet OMG....:sad: