Is running good for heavy people? I am 211lbs

Options

Replies

• littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many responses! I appreciate them all.
    I was always quite fit for my weight, and have never had any serious medical issue, so would never asked the question “is it safe running over 200lbs?” before.
    However, since about 6 months ago, I started feeling my knee joint – it is hard to identify the type of the pain, and it is pain in a light scale, and it eases when I hold my knee warm. Obviously running made it worse. I ran outside on pavements, and probably took it too fast for the first time after a while. Then I read on internet about scary consequences of permanently damaging knee joints, and got scared.
  • ritzglitz
    ritzglitz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You'll have to do some leg exercises to build up the muscle around you knees and their joints. Research some running techniques that help to alleviate the pressure on you knees. Proper running shoes are a must. I would say something that absorbs shock and/or gives proper ankle support Also NEVER jump right into running. It is the quickest way to get hurt. Start with a plan that is right for your body and progress from there.
  • littlecrystal
    Options
    My last question is, should I run again if my knee is still sore but bearable? Or should I wait until it goes away?
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    Wow, so many responses! I appreciate them all.
    I was always quite fit for my weight, and have never had any serious medical issue, so would never asked the question “is it safe running over 200lbs?” before.
    However, since about 6 months ago, I started feeling my knee joint – it is hard to identify the type of the pain, and it is pain in a light scale, and it eases when I hold my knee warm. Obviously running made it worse. I ran outside on pavements, and probably took it too fast for the first time after a while. Then I read on internet about scary consequences of permanently damaging knee joints, and got scared.

might be experiencing just some regular pains that come with age but to be certain I suggest if you are concern about it and can do it go see an ortho go, it will give you reassurance that everything is ok. Never hurts (except the wallet) to get a checkup. I used to run 25 to 30 miles a week (while in the military) in my 20s now (38yrs young) I run 3 and I can feel it on the joints. With a bad shoe I can feel every step.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Start slow and listen to your body. I'm 240 lbs and run 35 miles/week over 5-6 days and still climbing and have no problems, but I've been running 2 years now also.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with walking? You can walk easier and when you start to lose weight you can increase your speed. And walking is just as good for you. Start slow. Walking is better than doing nothing.
  • StrongerJess
    StrongerJess Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I think you should first get an exam by your doctor because running can be dangerous for anybody of any weight. And then you should just start out slowly. I highly recommend the couch to 5k program.
  • littlecrystal
    Options
    I already walk 2 miles per day..
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Yes. The key is starting slowly. Get fitted for a pair of running shoes at a running specific store, not Footlocker or anything like that.
    I suggest using C25K. Its a great program that I used last year to start running.

Also invest in a foam roller. It works wonders.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you are just starting out, start with a brisk walk to doing small intervals of a slow jog and work your way up. Don't rush it...
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Take care of you knees!!! And if it hurts, stop. x
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    <
    212 pounds, a bad knee and just started running.

I am doing the C25K program and have had no problems with my knee, I do it every other day and am taking it VERY slowly. So far there has been no issue.
  • Nmetzler034
    Nmetzler034 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm now 26, and run 3-4 times a week. I was at 260Ib's when i first started jogging and would jog 2-3 miles at that weight. The only time i had problems with me knee's was when i was running around a small lake that was less than 1mile in circumference. It would cause pressure on my inside knee. Not saying that i'm everyone but if you're worried i might take glucosamine chondroitin supplements.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Always check with your doctor before taking up running or any high-intensity activity...but for motivation, I point you to this video:

http://youtu.be/8SbXgQqbOoU

Enjoy! And good luck!

For what it's worth, Ben Davis (the guy in this video) was just interviewed and featured in Runner's World Magazine. And he's still not a "little" guy.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    110-130bpm a min for 40-50 mins, 4-6x a week.

Forgot to mention, i'm 260lb.
  • Epicmum54
    Options
    When I started running several years ago I started on a treadmill and I walked 9 minutes and ran 1 minute for the first week (4 days) - doing 2 sets of those, the second week I walked 8 minutes and ran 2 minutes - doing 2 sets of those, the third week I walked 7 minutes and ran 3 minutes...and so on and so on until I was able to run 20 minutes without stopping. It's a great way to build cardio and endurance! Once you have the "base" you can start playing around with times and distances, pushing yourself a little more each time.

Also, make sure you're fitted properly for a good pair of runners...makes all the difference. The Running Room is a great place to go as they employ people who can watch you walk and see whether you pronate, etc. and recommend the appropriate shoe for you. And remember, runners wear out - so remember to replace them on a regular basis!! It's worth the money to buy the right shoe (I know the RR in my hometown has a clear out once a year - spring - and I can usually get my favourite pair on sale for half price!!)

Good luck!!
  • MrsLawsonNavyBrat2B
    Options
    I played softball and volleyball all through out high school and at an average weight of 220. If you feel like there might be something wrong with your knee you should consult your dr to make sure you will not injure it
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Every person is different. Running is a stressful and actually violent sport for your body regardless of your weight.

That being said, I was 242 lbs and was running 3-4x a week 3 miles or so each time. I got up to 10 miles a run and dropped a lot of weight.

However I also developed some achilles heel issues and had a lower back issue with my sciatic nerve.

I would say with anything do what you can do, and know the difference between injury and pain. Pain is going to happen. Injury is serious. Find your threshold and then maintain that.

Best of luck.

This is a solid response. Thanks for posting.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon at 271 lbs. It's all about building up your endurance and working into it slowly. I started running at 336 lbs and it hurt like hell but for every pound I lost it felt better and I got faster. The only issue you have to worry about is doing too much too fast. It also depends how tall you are.