Ground beef recipes please!!

Options
tammietifanie
tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
I have so much ground beef (it was on sale) but now i have no clue what to make with it... im so use to making fatty foods like tacos, tater tot casserole things like that ... so if anyone has great recipes that the whole family will love i would love to get those and give them a try! or even websites where i can look up some good ideas...

Replies

• jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    We make something that we call "Grandma's Hotdish." I'm sure my grandma didn't make it up, but she was the first one to make it for me, so that's what I call it. :smile: You brown 1 lb of ground beef, add 1 can of chicken noodle soup, fill the emptied can with Minute Rice, and add to the mix, then fill the can up with water, and dump in. Mix it all up, and simmer for about 15 minutes. I have the nutrition info already entered on here, if you search for Grandma's Hotdish. It's quick, easy, and I haven't found anyone that doesn't like it. Enjoy!
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    These are websites I use:
    TasteofHome.com
    Kraftfoods.com
    Allrecipes.com
    Myrecipes.com

Just do a search for ground beef....

Foods in generl:
    Meatballs
    Tacos
    Lasagna
    Spaghetti
    Hamburgers
    Burritos
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! i'll have to give those a try!
  • Buzzkitty1
    Buzzkitty1 Posts: 134
    Options
    I saw an episode of the Rescue Chef on Food Network where he made a great shepherd's pie.

Peel (or not, if you prefer the skins on) potatoes 1-2#, however much you want as the topping
    Smash them when they're cooked, however you want. I try to keep mine as low fat/fat free as possible, using the potato water or just a splash of skim to smash them. You can add butter or cheese if you want, but I try to keep it healthy!
    Start with 2 carrots, 2 stalks of celery and an onion in a small quantity of canola. Maybe 1 tablespoon? Whatever looks good.
    Once it starts to soften and give off moisture, add your ground beef a splash of worsterschire sauce, and whatever else you feel like throwing in, herb/spicewise.
    Once the ground beef is cooked, add a cup of frozen peas, and let it cook a bit longer.
    Spread this in the bottom of a glass or metal brownie sized pan.
    Top with smashers
    Bake @ 350 until hot through.
  • beckythebunny122
    beckythebunny122 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I tend to use ground turkey, Stuffed Bell Pepper (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/recipes.asp?recipe=11007) tastes really good (even my husband, who hates veggies, eats it).

I also make Porcupine meatballs (which are 1/2 meat, 1/2 brown rice with a little egg to keep together)
    and Irish Porcupines (same thing, but use oats for rice). Bake either in the oven for about 20-30 minutes at 350 and eat with tomato sauce.

My brother swears by the websites:

http://www.laurasleanbeef.com/inTheKitchen/recipes/recipesearch.php

and

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/collections/healthy_ground_beef_recipes.html

and

http://www.foodtv.com
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    We make something that we call "Grandma's Hotdish." I'm sure my grandma didn't make it up, but she was the first one to make it for me, so that's what I call it. :smile: You brown 1 lb of ground beef, add 1 can of chicken noodle soup, fill the emptied can with Minute Rice, and add to the mix, then fill the can up with water, and dump in. Mix it all up, and simmer for about 15 minutes. I have the nutrition info already entered on here, if you search for Grandma's Hotdish. It's quick, easy, and I haven't found anyone that doesn't like it. Enjoy!

I tried finding the nutrition facts for it but couldn't. I think that I might try this in the next few nights. Thanks!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Make in a baking dish a layer of mashed potatoes, layer of corn, layer of browned ground beef then another layer of mashed potato. Sprinkle paprika on top and bake at 350 degree for 30 minutes.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    I make meatball stew out of lean ground beef. First make meat balls , brown in a pan, drain (when you use lean almost no grease left behind) cut up potatoes, carrots, celery, put into a pot with low sodium beef broth and simmer all ingredients until potatoes and carrots are tender. You can even buy a package of beef stew seasoning packet. or add Golden mushroom soup, would not recommend if you are a sodium watcher/ Eat up it is yummy. I also use different types of seasoning to make it taste better. That is your choice. I put italian bread crumbs, egg, onion, italian seasoning, garlic salt, dried basil, in the beef mixture to make meatballs. The calories were about 351 per 1.5 cups and I believe 8 grams of fat. That is with the stew seasoning packet and not the soup.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I make a soup that the kids really seem to like:

ground beef, browned, drained and rinsed
    low sodium tomato sauce
    frozen green beans
    carrots
    celery
    onion

or for the mexican style

ground beef
    low sodium tomato sauce
    black beans, rinsed and drained
    frozen chuckwagon corn
    diced green chilis
    small can chipotle salsa

put in the crock pot in the morning and yummo by dinner time

my kids also love chili, burritos, spaghetti
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options

I tried finding the nutrition facts for it but couldn't. I think that I might try this in the next few nights. Thanks!

I thought I made it so everyone could use it, but maybe not. Here's what I calculated. It should make about 6 cups, and a serving could be 1 cup or 2, depending on how hungry you are. The info below is for 2 cup servings.

Homemade - Grandma's Hotdish
    Calories 487
    Sodium 918 mg
    Total Fat 16 g
    Saturated 7 g
    Polyunsaturated 1 g
    Monounsaturated 5 g
    Trans 0 g
    Potassium 716 mg
    Total Carbs 52 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Protein 55 g
    Cholesterol 182 mg
    Vitamin A 5 %
    Calcium 4 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Iron 47 %
  • fanta014
    fanta014 Posts: 56
    Options
    The dish with ground beef that I like the most is Macaroni Casserole. You just cook some macaroni, brown the ground beef with some chopped onion and combine these all in an oven dish. Then you pour on it some warm milk with egg added in it (2 eggs + 3 desilitres/about one cup milk) or some beef tea (just some liquid in general, to make it more "juicy" and "succulent"). Then just cook the dish in the oven for about 30-45 minutes. I'm not sure about the degrees, but I usually do it in 200 Celsius.

I wasn't able to find a proper recipe for that in English, but in Finnish they are plenty :happy: Many people like this kind of macaroni casserole with some ketchup :)
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love Pizza Burgers..... haven't calculated the calories, but, easy to make and it serves as many as you want to make!

Gound Beef
    Whole Wheat Muffins
    Tomato Sauce
    Slice of low fat cheese

Ground beef. Drain, add tomato sauce and just simmer slightly. Slice muffin in two pieces. Add ground beef to top of muffin. Top with a small slice of cheese. Heat in microwave till cheese melts.

Every body loves these!
  • chicaloca6470
    chicaloca6470 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i love to make meatloaf, or i ground up the beef and scramble some eggs in with it. it makes soo much and its good. another thing i do is make enchiladas.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    i love to make meatloaf, or i ground up the beef and scramble some eggs in with it. it makes soo much and its good. another thing i do is make enchiladas.

Do this in a muffin pan and do meatloaf muffins....if you follow the recipe here in the recipe section. 2 meatloaf muffins are 296 cals!
  • ToniAnn45
    ToniAnn45 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Taco Soup is a great recipe. Got it from Weight Watchers several years ago. I thought eveyone knew about that one, but let me know if you want me to post it.:flowerforyou:
  • Sezzwick
    Sezzwick Posts: 12
    Options
    Toni,
    Can you please post the Taco Soup recipe? It sounds like something I would totally dig!!

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Sarah
  • ToniAnn45
    Options
    Taco Soup

Makes (12) 1 cup servings

1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 pkg. Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix
    1 pkg. Taco seasoning mix
    1 can Pinto Beans
    1 can Chili Hot Beans
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 can stewed tomatoes (Mexican flavor)
    1 can stewed tomotoes (any flavor)

Brown meat and onions, drain. Mix ranch dressing mix and taco seasoning mix into meat. Then, without draining the cans, add all of the other ingredients. Simmer 1 hour. If you can find the reduced sodium taco and ranch dressing mixes it is very helpful.

The canned ingredients can be mixed up to please your taste.

I don't have counts for all of the ingredients. It could possibly be in the MFP data base.
  • ToniAnn45
    Options
    Here is the Cooking Light magazine Meat Loaf 'Muffins' recipe. I haven't made them yet, but they sound delicious. It is in the MFP food database.

6 servings (serving size: 2 "muffins")

Ingredients:
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup ketchup, divided
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef, extra lean (raw)
    1 cup finely crushed fat-free saltine crackers (about 20)
    2 tablespoons prepared mustard
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 large eggs
    Cooking spray
    Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, chopped carrot, dried oregano, and minced garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Cool.

Combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup ketchup, and the remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a large bowl.

Spoon the meat mixture into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Top each with 2 teaspoons ketchup. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:276 (28% from fat)
    Fat:8.6g (sat 3g,mono 4g,poly 0.8g)
    Protein:28.7g
    Carbohydrate:21.7g
    Fiber:1.8g
    Cholesterol:131mg
    Iron:3.9mg
    Sodium:759mg
    Calcium:48mg
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    The meatloaf muffins are AWESOME! My husband absolutely LOVES them. I might have to make them for supper now. :happy:
  • Sezzwick
    Sezzwick Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks Ladies!! As a newbie to this site I am finding tips like these absolutely invaluable!! I will be making the meatloaf muffins tonight as well!
    Thanks!