What Label Are They Reading?

Options
So, has anyone else noticed when they try to find a food in the MFP database, that they often have to weed through about 10 or 20 incorrect entries before they find one that actually matches the label on the food that they ate?

I went to enter in "Hershey Chocolate Bar" (yes, I hate to admit it, but I gave in to temptation last night!!) and found about 8 different entries made by other users that varied by anywhere from 10-80 calories and 5-10 carbs!!! I had the same thing happen a few days ago with "Kellogg's Corn Flakes."

To me, the beauty of this website is that regular people get to make entries to the database and that just about anything you could possibly eat is already entered. But it doesn't help when people are careless about the entries and put inaccurate nutritional values into it and you have to painstakingly wade through all of the false entries to finally find the correct one.

There, I vented my frustration and feel better already :smile:

(By the way, I know this is just a very minor inconvenience to deal with and is definitely worth it. I have found countless entries that were right on the money, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to make those entries!)

189891.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I hate that too. I usually find the one I want then push the "confirm" or "is this correct" button (I can't remember exactly what it says) then I go back to that one. Save it on your meals then you won't have to look for it again.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have that too. What I do since I am on Atkins, is I add the food in with the correct carb count listed beside the food. I also enter my foods in as, store brand, name brand and or generic. I make sure that it is correct. For some, we are very strict and others, maybe just ad lib a bit here and there.

No biggie really, but in my case, I need to be correct.
  • Topxgun
    Topxgun Posts: 38
    Options
    You can go in and change the info to the correct info. I've done that before. It's kind of annoying, but you only have to do it once.
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Yea It happens all the time but I mainly try to stick with my own . Yea it is way off sometimes
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I care more about the cals so I just change the portion size until it matches the calories I have listed from the label. But I'm lazy.
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    I've also noticed that some of the entries are not accurate but I don't think they are intentionally being inaccurate. I think some of this is caused by some differences in US vs CDN product information. The info varies a lot depending on governement regulations.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have that too. What I do since I am on Atkins, is I add the food in with the correct carb count listed beside the food. I also enter my foods in as, store brand, name brand and or generic. I make sure that it is correct. For some, we are very strict and others, maybe just ad lib a bit here and there.

No biggie really, but in my case, I need to be correct.

I am having to start doing it to as I am doing Atkins also and when I make a low carb recipe, I have to sit down and fgure out the carb counts and other values for each veggie, protein, etc that I put into the recipe.

I am saving them so I don't have to go back and re-do it again when I make that particular recipe again.