ZUMBA

Options
Hey all,

I recently started taking a Zumba class and I'm IN LOVE. It's on Mondays and Wednesdays and I really wish it was EVERY weekday. If you get a chance to try it, I highly recommend it. I've been going for about three weeks and I look forward to it every time.

Anyway, there's some confusion about how many calories are burned. I've done some research and I see that it could burn up to 800 calories an hour which is AWESOME! However, there's not an option here on mfp for Zumba. I chose "dance/aerobic" and it says it only burns about 390 (which is still great, don't get me wrong) but what gives?

Does anyone have any insights?

:huh:

Replies

• ma9321
    ma9321 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    I take a Belly Dance class and a Zumba class as well. I LOVE it.
    You wouldn't know exactly how many calories you burn unless you wear a HRM with a chest strap. It all depends on how hard you push yourself.
    My friend and I both wear HR monitors and there is always a difference in the calories burned.
    I usually burn between 600-780 cals depending on how hard I push it.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    What is ZUMBA? I would like to know since you seem to like it so much. Do they offer it at LA fitness?
  • vickster82
    vickster82 Posts: 108
    Options
    I've been meaning to try and haven't got around. My friend swears by it, and he burns 1200 based on HR. So I think 800 is reasonable.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Hey all,

I recently started taking a Zumba class and I'm IN LOVE. It's on Mondays and Wednesdays and I really wish it was EVERY weekday. If you get a chance to try it, I highly recommend it. I've been going for about three weeks and I look forward to it every time.

Anyway, there's some confusion about how many calories are burned. I've done some research and I see that it could burn up to 800 calories an hour which is AWESOME! However, there's not an option here on mfp for Zumba. I chose "dance/aerobic" and it says it only burns about 390 (which is still great, don't get me wrong) but what gives?

Does anyone have any insights?

:huh:

You can select to add an exercise not listed in your exercise diary. Put in the Name and the amount of calories you burned.
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have actually heard of this and wanted to try it. I don't think there are any classed in my town......has anyone tried the video's???

:flowerforyou:
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Really?! Around 800 calories! That's insane! Thanks for hot tip!

For all interested parties:

I haven't tried the videos but I'm sure they're just as fun! I would prefer a class though because instructors bring tons of energy and proper techniques. Plus, nothing compares to that loud loud Latin music! :love:

Basically, Zumba is a mix between salsa dancing, aerobics, and tai bo. The music ranges from Club Latin to classic salsa songs to even African songs. It's a series of dance routines that last about five minutes or so each. The class lasts about 60 minutes.

Have fun!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    One of my co-workers is starting a Zumba class and I debated on going to it since I already have a few "projects" on my plate. So many different types of exercises....so many to try and do!!!

The most I've ever done so far is burn 700 cals (I was running) in an hour but I don't think 800 is unreasonable. I've heard of people who burn 1000 cals an hour.

I log my stuff under something ambiguous, like aerobics. I then just type in the total cals that I burned. I mean, I know what I really did so I don't have to have exact kind of exercise.
  • jenstrausbaugh
    Options
    OH OH OH!!! I love Zumba! I am actually going in 25 days to become a Certified Zumba Instructor! I burn 800-1000 calories and hour....depending on how hard I push! It is such a fun exercise/class....I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE!!!

Please make sure you wear good flexible shoes, drink lots of water, and if you want...take a towel! YOU WILL SWEAT!
  • bsdurdak
    bsdurdak Posts: 14
    Options
    I started taking zumba about 4 weeks ago and just love it.
    I take it at a nearby rec center. It is very high cardio.
    It was only offered one night a week there so I went to the next closest towns rec center and tried their Zumba class. It is not nearly as good.

So, the classes can really vary depending on the teacher!

Good luck. I love it!

loss-ticker]201180.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

:drinker:
  • jenstrausbaugh
    Options
    And if you can, take as many classes as you like/can!

I take:

1 class Monday
    2 classes Tuesday
    NO CLASSES WEDNESDAY (rest day)
    2 classes Thursday
    None on Friday
    1 on Saturday
    None on Sunday
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am in LOVE with my Zumba class!!! I would almost say that besides the dieting part, that is the BIGGEST factor to the weight I've lost so far above anything else that I do exercise-wise! It's so much fun that it really doesn't feel like exercise and some of the moves and dance routines...just add a margarita and I'd almost feel like I was at a dance club - albeit really underdressed!

I go to a combination co-ed and ladies only GoodLife so I alternate between co-ed classes and ladies only but it gives me more times to go! I go on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays! The all-women's one is AWESOME because some people really get into it...a lot of the ladies wear these sarong-type things that have bells on them so whenever we shake-shake, it makes a lot of jingling noises....and other ladies just screech and holler and carry on so that it makes it so much more fun!!!

I had been using 500 in my exercise log just to under-estimate the amount of calories so I don't over-eat my calories when I eat the exercise calories. I recently used my HRM in a class, but I was such a n00b at it that I kept forgetting to press start again after I paused it in between workouts...it only gave me 350 calories burned, but there was a LOT of time that I missed logging calories because I forgot to start it up again. I will have a more accurate reading tomorrow! If you ever get a chance to go to a Zumba class, TAKE IT!!! If you want to see what it's like, there's a bunch of videos on youtube!
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    P.S. "June 28th, 2009 - I become a ZUMBA INSTRUCTOR! "

Jen! CONGRATULATIONS on becoming a Zumba instructor!!!!
  • GetFitBy2010
    Options
    Zumba is awsome. I sweat like I just took a shower. My hair is so wet and I have so happy and have much energy of the class. Too bad, my club does not have it every day. I only takes 3 times a week.
  • glandis
    glandis Posts: 89
    Options
    Zumba really does burn a lot of calories. I Zumba all the time, I am pictured with my zumba instructor! I would recommend it to anyone looking for a different type of fitness class. I took a 3 hr Zumba class recently and we had an awesome work out. I'm sure we burned over 1,000 calories.
  • fanta014
    fanta014 Posts: 56
    Options
    I just saw Zumba on TV today and was all "whoa, that looks awesome!". So, I did some research around and am now getting myself a Zumba DVD. We'll see how that'll be :smile:
  • sweber131
    Options
    I am addicted to Zumba!!! Four weeks ago I started Jenny Craig and the following week I started Zumba! I was so hooked I've been going 3-4 times a week.

When I weighed in at Jenny Craig this past week they took my measurements from whenI started. I three weeks I lost 11 inches!! 4 inches off of my waist alone!!

Ditch the workouts....join Zumba!!!!
  • bikker59
    bikker59 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about taking a class..but I am not the most coordinated dancer.
    Are the moves really complex? I know it would depend on the instructor..but it seems fun... based on what I have read here. My gym offers it 4 nights a week... I do spin one night, but might need to try it..
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    They're not really that complex at all! A lot of it is just shaking your hips!

Just focus on the feet and incorporate the arms once you feel comfortable.

When you first start, it's pretty over whelming. I'll admit that. I definitely recommend it! :bigsmile:
  • walkthewalk
    Options
    I take Zumba and love it.
    the cals you burn depends on how hard you work out, they give just an estimated cal burn.