What to do in these types of situations?

Options
LaComadreja14
LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
This morning a dear friend of mine brought a suprise McDonalds sausage biscuit for each person in our office (were a small office). She is supportive of my weight loss efforts and I think she just didn't me to feel left out and I appreciate that she was trying to be nice, so I ate it. Not only are sausage biscuits unhealthy but TBH- I don't even like sausage biscuits (or any McyDs breakfast for that matter) but I didn't want to come off as rude or unappreciative... The last thing I wanted to do was offend her, you know? I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to navigate this kind of situation?

Replies

• jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I would've politely taken the biscuit, but said I already ate breakfast prior to going into work. You could then hold on to the biscuit, maybe take it home with you and then of course pitch it... no feelings will be hurt.
  • LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Great advice for other situations, unfortunately today we all ate together in the front because I was teaching them to use the new scanner :(
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I just say "no thank you, I've already eaten/brought my breakfast". I had a coworker come by my office just the other day with a big box of cookies. I told her thanks, but no.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Maybe nibble a little bit on it as you converse and then discreetly remove yourself to the restroom to throw it away.
    There is also a polite "Thank you but I better pass,McDonalds just never agrees with my stomach" when it is offered/
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I politely say no, but if they keep pushing I accuse them of being a "feeder" in jokey way, they tend to back down then. I can get away with this as my colleagues are used to my sense of humour.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I usually just say "No thanks." If they're offended, so what?
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I would probably eat the sausage and throw away the buscuit, IF I had the calories free and was hungry. I think a polite thanks so much but I can't have that, would be fine.
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    Maybe nibble a little bit on it as you converse and then discreetly remove yourself to the restroom to throw it away.
    There is also a polite "Thank you but I better pass,McDonalds just never agrees with my stomach" when it is offered/

Yes the nibbling thing is what I'd have done
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I would have given it away to another co-worker. My co-workers are mostly male with big appetites and wouldn't feel slighted in the least if I declined. I also wouldn't be offended if someone didn't want to eat something I brought in.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    "no thank you" pretty much sums it up.

Unless you live on some crazy island (with a mcdonalds) where if you offend someone by not eating crap, they'll kill you.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I don't eat beef or pork so I would be able to accept it. I would say how thoughtful, but I can't eat it. No pork or beef :flowerforyou:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I would have lathered that puppy up in jelly and wolfed it down, then said somethin like "You gonna eat the rest of yours?"
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Either "No thanks" or pass it to someone else discretely. Throwing it away seems incredibly wasteful. Unhealthy or not, food is food and someone might want/need it nearby.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I would have claimed to have eaten breakfast already and then, since you were conducting a training, given it away to someone who got an answer correctly. They would be the "lucky" winner of two breakfast sandwiches that morning!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I usually just say "No thanks." If they're offended, so what?

this. if you did like the item and ate it, thats a different story. but you actually ate food that you don't like. why would you do that?
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    direct approach is the best way, say: thank your for thinking of me this morning, however, I no longer eat from McDonalds - I didn't want to be rude because I really thought of it being a very nice gesture on your part. - since you have already had it.

There is always the; No thank you, I have already have had something for breakfast/ brought my own breakfast.
  • bkcoakley
    bkcoakley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Flip the situation around - what if you had brought in breakfast for the group, say something healthy like fat free yogurt parfaits, and one of the folks simply hated the taste of yogurt. Would you expect them to eat it anyway and be offended if they didn't? Or would their recognition that you went out of your way and thought of them make you happy?
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the "No thank you". They will deal with their hurt feelings if any, I don't see why anyone would be so upset over a "no thank you".
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to just say "Thanks for thinking about me but I don't really care for these" and leave it at that.

If you atleast thank someone for the thought but respectfully decline, more often than not they'll say "Ok...who wants it?"

=)

Don't torture yourself eating something you don't like just to not offend someone else.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I say no.

If they repeat or rephrase the question, I repeat my answer.