Loosing weight with out exercising ?? NOT !

Options
I keep seeing posts " I loose weight with out exercising" Why do people insist on bragging that they loose weight with out exercising . This is ridiculous and truthfully is just being lazy, sorry if I offend people saying this but there are no positive results not exercising when trying to loose weight . You will loose muscle mass as well so your so called weight loss has a negative affect on your body and this is not healthy. You are depriving yourself of all benefits that come with exercise . Please think out your plan and read information before attempting a weight loss regiment .

Replies

• Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Um, it's "lose" and "losing", not "loose"/"loosing.":)

When you first change your diet and start eating healthy foods at proper portions, it's quite normal to lose a lot of weight without exercising. For many people, this loss is the encouragement and confidence they need to go to a gym or sign up for a fitness class. After I lost my first 20 pounds (with no exercise, just a healthy diet devised by a dietician) I felt so much better about myself that I was ready to get active. The combo of diet and exercise has since brought me a nearly 40 pound total loss.

If someone had criticized me at the beginning for not immediately jumping into an exercise program, I'd have been quite discouraged. We need to encourage everyone's efforts for what they are and let them find their way in terms of exercise in their own time.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    What is your definition of exercise compared to others? Is walking to class an exercise? Is driving your car that extra block an exercise? Is taking the stairs up 10 floors twice-thrice a day an exercise? How about doing a little jog in place during commercials or parking further from the door of a store?

Or do you prefer the gym rat type that spend 90% of their lives lifting weights, pumping iron, and running 20 miles a day?
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Some life circumstances don't allow for exercise. Injuries, illnesses, time constraints, etc. (I do exercise btw. And I'm grateful I'm able to)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing posts " I loose weight with out exercising" Why do people insist on bragging that they loose weight with out exercising . This is ridiculous and truthfully is just being lazy, sorry if I offend people saying this but there are no positive results not exercising when trying to loose weight . You will loose muscle mass as well so your so called weight loss has a negative affect on your body and this is not healthy. You are depriving yourself of all benefits that come with exercise . Please think out your plan and read information before attempting a weight loss regiment .

I have this great idea.

You do what works for you and let others do what works for them.
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    This site is called My Ftness Pal if you don't like different ideas and help and don't have an open mind to try new things your not taking full advantage of information given out, fact is fact exercise is a must for a healthy life style .This my opinion and you dont have to agree . Good luck to you............

I have this great idea.

• rml_16
    Options
    I have this great idea.

This site is called My Ftness Pal if you don't like different ideas and help and don't have an open mind to try new things your not taking full advantage of information given out, fact is fact exercise is a must for a healthy life style .This my opinion and you dont have to agree . Good luck to you............

I have no problem with those things. What I have a problem with is someone chastising others' efforts.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Ummm.........I lose weight and then I exercise so that I don't feel like a sweaty pig mess thats going to die...........................to each their own my friend............to each their own!:bigsmile:
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If I could lose 20 pounds just changing my diet and not having to workout I would so be on the band wagon!! I have a heel spur and a knee issue and I still push it 6 days a week because I can't lose it any other way..so I applaud those who can and am very jealous of them that they don't have to workout and suffer with injuries and still lose weight!! Lets just support each other on weight loss especially if they are eating right and being healthy that way!!
  • stefanieanne14
    stefanieanne14 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Um, it's "lose" and "losing", not "loose"/"loosing.":)

Ha!!
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options

Sorry man some of the members here aren't very knowledgeable about actual fitness, often lazy, find excuses to cheat on diets, don't have a strong mentality, and most have very weak goals. I see it all the time /:
  • addisondisease
    Options
    What is your definition of exercise compared to others? Is driving your car that extra block an exercise?

God i hope people don't count this
  • rml_16
    Options

It's all relative to who you are. I have a friend who lost 70 pounds without exercise and has kept it off for six years without exercise and she looks fantastic.

*I* exercise quite a lot and will continue doing so. But if another person chooses not to, I'm not going to start a thread about it.
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    what a weenie!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Actually, you have less of a problem losing muscle on a diet if you are NOT exercising, and being realistic with your deficit.

What is happening all too often is eating at too big of a deficit, with or without exercising.

Muscle is going to be torn down from exercise to some degree, which doesn't happen if you are not.

Because really, if you are not exercising, almost all of your daily activity is going to be in the fat-burning zone, low intensity.

The problem comes in when the deficit is so big you are eating below your BMR and killing your metabolism. But exercise in that scenario is even worse.

And if you are sensitive to carbs and keep spiking your insulin going into fat storage mode, so you actually aren't using fat for main energy source most of the day.

The reason studies have shown better weight loss from those doing both, is because left to their own motivation, those not exercising have a harder time sticking to a diet.
    Those studies where ALL the participants are monitored and given their diets, have much less difference in loss.
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    wow you have some really bad info you better read up
    Actually, you have less of a problem losing muscle on a diet if you are NOT exercising, and being realistic with your deficit.

What is happening all too often is eating at too big of a deficit, with or without exercising.

Muscle is going to be torn down from exercise to some degree, which doesn't happen if you are not.

Because really, if you are not exercising, almost all of your daily activity is going to be in the fat-burning zone, low intensity.

The problem comes in when the deficit is so big you are eating below your BMR and killing your metabolism. But exercise in that scenario is even worse.

And if you are sensitive to carbs and keep spiking your insulin going into fat storage mode, so you actually aren't using fat for main energy source most of the day.

The reason studies have shown better weight loss from those doing both, is because left to their own motivation, those not exercising have a harder time sticking to a diet.
    Those studies where ALL the participants are monitored and given their diets, have much less difference in loss.
  • addisondisease
    Options

I like what you usually post but OP is right, when you go on a cut (even a healthy cut of 500 cal) you lose fat AND muscle mass. If you didn't lose muscle mas then weight lifters wouldn't need to bulk (eat 4k cal/day)
  • heybales
    Options
    I like what you usually post but OP is right, when you go on a cut (even a healthy cut of 500 cal) you lose fat AND muscle mass. If you didn't lose muscle mas then weight lifters wouldn't need to bulk (eat 4k cal/day)

Why is muscle mass torn down. Ever, in deficit or not?

Because glucose was lacking for energy, and the amino acids were required to make some. Or weight lifting and slight breakdown/repair cycle.

Why would glucose/glycogen be lacking?

Because you used up what was there.

Why would your stores be down so low in your liver and muscles?

Because you were either exercising and depleting them faster than you could eat to restore them day by day, or your diet was so in deficit or so low in carbs for either exercising or not, you could not replenish them.

If you are not exercising, but just daily activity (leaving out of it an intensive job), your main energy source was fat. Some carbs of course required to burn that and for your brain of course, but an amount easily replenished by a diet not too far in deficit with too far little carbs.

Of course if you are eating low carb and higher protein, those amino acids are converted. If eating low carb and protein and high fat - now you got problems.

So while not recommended or better, because exercise is usually a much better motivator for sticking to a diet, it's not required to lose weight.
    It will probably be slower because of still eating at or above your BMR (if doing it safely) and limited on the amount of deficit you can do, but still possible.
  • heybales
    Options
    On the way home, I thought about this post and the difference in perspective we are probably thinking about.

I'm picturing the folks that were not exercising before, the muscle they have is the muscle used everyday for normal activities, that which the body keeps at whatever level it is at.

No extra muscle from having worked out. No excess that is unused, no change in behavior.

Now what does turn into excess is their existing muscle, because as they have to carry around less weight, that muscle doesn't have to perform as much work. So it is not maintained at the same level.

Is it broken down? No, it still isn't needed for energy. But it will get weaker. What was used to lifting and moving 200 lbs is now only lifting and moving 175. But weaker muscle doesn't mean it burns away and is lost. May get smaller as glycogen stores aren't needed as much, and with those the resulting water retention, so they won't be as big.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Can you lose weight without exercise? Yes, but in the end you'll either not get the results you were looking for and gain the weight back, or you'll suffer from an eating disorder. If you do succeed without an eating disorder, you'll look like skin and bones with no muscle mass to back it up. I'd rather be fit with a few extra pounds than skinny. Take a look at this guy:

alex.jpg

On the flip side, for the obese or extreme obese, the only viable way for them to begin exercising is to lose weight beforehand through diet. However, that's not an end all be all. If you have someone that weighs in excess of 300lbs and they can drop to 250lbs with diet alone, great! But lets hope they learn something along the way about exercise.