Healthier Salad dressing?

Options

Replies

• Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have no clue where I should be posting this but what are some yummy salad dressings that are low cal? I love ranch but its very high calorie. :( Any suggestions are welcome.

I have just the thing: try Walden Farms.. calorie free, sugar free, fat free, carbohydrate free, gluten free and cholesterol free. I have no idea how it tastes. I just bought the Seseme Ginger and will try it out tonight. They have ranch and blue cheese too. I found it at Krogers, HEB has it too.. not sure where you are.

Check out their website at WaldenFarms.com.. sodium isn't too bad either.. 260mg per 2 tbs serving.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    juice of a lemon, salt / pepper, and olive oil :D

^^^^Def this!
  • nashtyone
    Options
    Dorothy Lynch - Home Style Dressing - Fat Free

2 tbsp serving has:

Calories 60
    Carbs 14
    Fat 0
    Protein 0
    Sodium 160
  • ChefSuzzieQ
    Options
    the clear dressing are best, those made with oils, there are lots to choose from. Personally I like to just use vinegars and oil. Currently I am using the Cherry balsamic vinegar that I got with my new Pampered Chef products and extra virgin olive oil. Obviously you have to go light on the oil but the vinegars are very low cal.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I use Maple Grove of Vermont Fat Free Balsalmic Viniagrette (15 cal/2 TBSP) or their Sugar Free/Fat Free Raspberry Viniagrette (5 cal/2 TBSP). Yummy!
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    maple groves of vermont fat free honey dijon. 35 cals for tblspns.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I got a Misto sprayer and lightly spray my salad with olive oil. Works for me.
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    I think I'm the only person on earth that doesn't have salad dressings on my salads! Even hubby gives my dinner the ole hairy eyeball and turns away. If I feel like anything at all, I'll use just a quck splatter of lite Balsamic vinegar.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I love straight-up balsamic on my salads. A little goes a long way - and so flavorful!
  • lynnmarie60
    Options
    fat free thousand island is my favorite.
  • LeSsOvMe
    LeSsOvMe Posts: 117
    Options
    Wishbone light Parmesan peppercorn ranch is my favorite and a close second is kraft light three cheese. Very tasty!!
  • mandanella22
    Options
    Whole foods has a variety of low cal, low fat, low sodium dressings. I forget what they arecalled but they are in a small rectangular bottle in their produce sections. I always get tomato basil or basalmic. Next to no sodium!
  • JoBeanG
    Options
    This is a recipe I use all the time: 1/3c. balsamic vinegar
    1/3c. shallot or red onion diced
    2Tbsp. honey
    1Tbsp. olive oil
    1Tbsp. dijon mustard
    1/3c. chopped or dried basil
    a little garlic, salt, pepper
    Then add water to make 1 cup of dressing
    This is about 22 calories for a Tablespoon and around 1 gram of fat. Not thick and creamy but it tastes great and saves loads of fat and calories. I suggest letting it refrigerate overnight to get the best flavor. Hope it helps.
  • ernielaurie
    Options
    I buy Walden Farm all the time, they are good and are 0 everything!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ranch is the devil! Fat free ranch has a nasty aftertaste (IMO). You can try using dry ranch seasoning mix & use low fat greek yogurt and (a little milk) instead of mayo.

I like Paul Newman's Light Sesame Ginger dressing, as well as Light Balsamic Vinaigrette, and Orange Ginger. The orange ginger is NOT light but it has a fairly strong flavor, a little goes a long way.

I use a coffee scoop to measure dressing - it's 2 TLBs - I keep an extra scoop in my desk drawer, so I don't get carried away.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    bump
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Or, you can try salsa on your salad instead of dressing. That is low calorie and very yummy. A tablespoon or two of hummus is also a good alternative.

Didn't ever think about this! I love salsa!
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms makes a GREAT ranch dressing. Made with yogurt and it in the cooler section of the store. I's like 45 calories per serving and tastes GREAT!!!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My favs are Newman's Own. Light Honey Mustard, Low Fat Sesame Ginger, Lite Balsamic Vinaigrette.
  • sarahsreese
    sarahsreese Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to love ranch dressing. But, to me, it's not worth all the calories. My current favorite is Balsamic Vinegarette. 2 tablespoons only has 50 calories, as opposed to the 145 calories in 2 tablespoons of ranch. From my understanding, it's easy to make your own, but I haven't attempted to yet. Here's some more information for you - http://www.livestrong.com/article/305740-the-calories-in-balsamic-vinegar-salad-dressing/