Body Media, Body Bugg or Fitbit

Options
2»

Replies

• shellbell525
    Options
    BUMP, lots of interesting opinions. I would love a body bugg or body media but just can't see shelling out the cash each month for a subscription especially when the band costs so much to begin with.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    *bump* I'm trying to figure out what to buy also... but am definitely leaning towards the fitbit...
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Had my fitbit for over a year....the only time I take it off is to shower...it's amazing! And the software is always free, which is great too.
  • gracefullyjenn7
    gracefullyjenn7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think ive decided not to buy any of them. Maybe just a really good heart rate monitor that is user friendly
  • kmcintosh12
    kmcintosh12 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just bought a body bugg off of Craigslist and bought a 6 month membership for $24. For the cheaper costs, I like the motivation. I can see just how little I am burning. In 6 months, I will either be done with it or know my body pretty well to continue on my own.

To each their own!
  • thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. I've had it for 2 years. It's awesome! You can sync it with MFP and you don't have to pay extra for any online use.
  • laura4410
    laura4410 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have used pedometers before and the fitbit is not like any pedometer I have ever had. If you read about the design and purpose of the fitbit you would understand how movement and activity is used to calculate calories burned. Also about how movement and sleep cycles correlates. There are certain activities that require less movement but increase your HR, in which case the fitbit recommends you log that activity. Such as yoga, dancing, strength training, etc. Its not claiming something that its not accurate at doing. All of these methods/devices are simply just calculations and estimates anyways. The fitbit does exactly what it says. For the person who says it logged driving as steps, they suggest if you have this problem you can set a driving activity for the time you are in the car--if it bothers you. Personally, I don't see why it would. Again, these are estimates. If at the end of the day I am close to 10K steps, and if overall I see my graph of activity lean more towards active than sedentary...isn't that really the ultimate goal? The goal is to get off our lazy *kitten* and move. :)
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymedia, and I don't hate it but I don't love it, either.

I don't like the aspect of having to wear it on my arm everyday - and having to wear sleeves that cover it up so I don't get "what is that on your arm?" questions all day. It also doesn't seem to give very accurate results when I'm cycling - where it says I'm burning hardly any calories when I KNOW I did (hills...).

But, it was good to kind of know how many calories I was burning on days when I don't exercise vs. days when I exercise a lot. So now, I'll wear my bodymedia fit once a week or so to kind of gage my metabolism - see if it's slowing down, speeding up, etc.
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media, and I love it. I chose it over the BodyBugg because I wanted the sleep efficiency feature. I've heard mixed reviews about the fitbit. But, I like that the BodyMedia uses movement AND body heat and sweat rather than just movement. So, that's why I chose the one I did. But, the fitbit doesn't have a subscription cost and works with MFP, a definite advantage. I don't even use the Body Media food database, I just log my food on MFP and then put my "estimated calories" into BodyMedia to see how much of a calorie deficit I had.

BTW, if you buy the BodyMedia through www.costco.com, you can get it for a decent price (I think less than they sell it on the BodyMedia site) and it comes with a free 12 month subscription.
  • gracefullyjenn7
    gracefullyjenn7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    yes right now costco has it for179.99 with a 12 month subscription included
  • jlanae79
    Options
    wow I didn't know that body media did all of that. I may have to check into it. I have a bodybugg and I really like it. The only thing that I don't like is paying for the extra subscription. I pay the monthly $9.95 a month. Other than that, I love that it keeps me accountable.