Workout is messing me up...

Options
I usually lose weight wonderfully and gradually. I've never worked-out or went to the gym, just diet restriction to 1200 calories. Would lose 1-2 lbs a week.

I've been burning about 400 calories a night at the gym and still making sure I eat more than 1200 calories each day. Usually somewhere 1250-1400 I love going to the gym even if its just to walk for an hour, its my escape and I enjoy it.

Where am I going wrong? I have thought it could be muscle, but I've only lost .6 in two weeks. I'm wondering if my calories are too low.

Any opinions?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It could be water retention from going to the gym. Are you netting at least 1200 (eating back exercise calories)? Drinking lots of water? If you're doing all those things then just be patient-- sometimes it takes a little time to adjust to your new lifestyle. I'd give it at least a month before you decide to change it up. A lot can happen to make your weight fluctuate.
  • phatycake
    phatycake Posts: 216
    Options
    Thanks, Amber!

I have been eating over 1200 calories for sure and I think I'm getting enough water. I do drink about 20+ oz at the gym and a ton of crystal light during the day. I'm all for being patient, but just want to make sure I am doing it correctly before I realize the time may have been wasted doing something wrong.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I usually lose weight wonderfully and gradually. I've never worked-out or went to the gym, just diet restriction to 1200 calories. Would lose 1-2 lbs a week.

I've been burning about 400 calories a night at the gym and still making sure I eat more than 1200 calories each day. Usually somewhere 1250-1400 I love going to the gym even if its just to walk for an hour, its my escape and I enjoy it.

Where am I going wrong? I have thought it could be muscle, but I've only lost .6 in two weeks. I'm wondering if my calories are too low.

Any opinions?

if you are burning 400, then you should be eating at least 1600, as eating 1600 and burning 400, is the same as eating 1200 and not working out as 1600-400 = 1200-0 = 1200
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? How are your clothes fitting?
    The scale isn't the be-all, end-all (althougH I know it's frustrating when the number doesn't move!).
  • phatycake
    Options
    That makes sense. I do know when I look at my food log, its ALWAYS above 1200 but this is after the exercise has been logged.
  • phatycake
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? How are your clothes fitting?
    The scale isn't the be-all, end-all (althougH I know it's frustrating when the number doesn't move!).

I started taking measurements about 3 days ago, so I will see how the progress is shortly. They feel about the same. I myself, feel alot better and have tons more energy than ever before.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My guess is just water retention from the exercise. I always gain about 2-4 pounds immediately after starting a new workout. Before coming to this site, I would always stop exercising because it seemed like it was sabotaging me, but I finally saw some people talking about how your muscles will retain water (or some substance?) when they are stressed. After a week or two, they heal, adjust, and you should see a big loss. It still discourages me, but now that I realize it's a process, it's easier to stick with it longer, and also more incentive to keep with your workouts once you have started.
  • phatycake
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to continue and be strong. Thanks!
  • mejustsmaller316
    mejustsmaller316 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's that way for me too. I don't know why but if i work out i just stay the same weight. Just dieting i lose like 2lbs a week.
    It makes me crazy because i know i need to exercise to have a healthy heart, but i wana see the numbers go down as well as have a healthy heart.