Exercise and counting cals.

Options
So, I have been doing well with tracking my food and have made some great decisions even when faced with McDonald's at an emotionally trying time. For all these good food choices I have not been able to exercise. I now only take the stairs at school-four flights 2X a day four times a week and at work I walk up 12 flights of stairs 2X a day 5 days a week. No elevators. Is this enough? I don't feel like it is. I used to swim in nationals as well as run 3 miles every other day and would burn over a 1,000 calories a day. The luxury of not working and no bills to pay! Am I just being hard on myslef ? My schedule is full, but I know I could do more.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you know that you can do more, then you should. Constantly strive to improve. That is the only way to succeed.
  • artcaro1972
    Options
    IMHO diet is the biggest factor in losing weight in the short-term. Exercise is important for long-term weight loss and overall health. My point -- in my experience, you can lose weight almost as easily by just changing your diet. Exercise sure feels good though and it's a great motivator to keep eating healthy!

So - if you can only do the nutrition for now, don't beat yourself up. But look for ways over time to get some physical activity in.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    IMHO diet is the biggest factor in losing weight in the short-term. Exercise is important for long-term weight loss and overall health. My point -- in my experience, you can lose weight almost as easily by just changing your diet. Exercise sure feels good though and it's a great motivator to keep eating healthy!

So - if you can only do the nutrition for now, don't beat yourself up. But look for ways over time to get some physical activity in.

This might sound a bit contradictory, but I agree with this. If you have a lot to lose, you may want to pace the increases in your activity levels.
  • jshorr
    jshorr Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll. I tink I'm going to try to save up some money for some workout clothes. And get in the gym or hit the road walking . I purchased some Zumba classes, but still have yet to go. I'm a little nervous. But thanks for the advice.