Is it normal to lose very little/not at all the first few we

Options
It's been 3 weeks, and I've lost two pounds. I know that's better than nothing, but seriously, I've been exercising 4-5 times a week, sometimes more than once a day, and I've been under my calorie goal (except sometimes on the weekends, but even then I'm eating way better than I was before), under sugar, salt, carbs, all that stuff. So...What the hell? Is that normal? Did that happen to other people too?

Replies

• ChefSuzzieQ
    Options
    My first instinct is that maybe you are not eating enough. You have to be properly fueled to burn properly.
  • efarester
    efarester Posts: 158
    Options
    Yep, it can be a slow start and sometimes with a new workout program you might even see the scale go up at first. Keep at it - you will see changes happen. It is really good to not only track your weight, but your measurements and take photos too so you can see progress in many ways!

Here is a great article to check out:
    http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan

Hope this helps!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    2 lbs in 3 weeks is a really good loss-- especially since your body is likely retaining water to repair your muscles after the exercise you do. when I first started I gained weight for the first two weeks. Be patient and remember it's a lifelong thing so it's ok if you don't see immediate results.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are new to exercise. The reason for this is your muscles get micro tears from working out and to protect them and to aid in recovery your muscles store water. Don't worry you may have lost fat, but the extra water makes the scale stay the same. Stick with it for a few weeks and once you get use to the workouts your body will shed the excess water.
  • ChefSuzzieQ
    Options
    yes, water, are you drinking plenty? That makes a big difference to me. I used to never be able to lose wt, but I also never drank a single glass of water. It has definitely helped me to be more mindful of my water intake.
  • JudyPMorg
    Options
    I've been doing this since December. I've lost 4 pounds so far, but am not worried. My pants are looser, I have more energy and my stomach isn't as pronounced. The weight will come off. How are your measurements? Have you firmed up? That may be what is happening. I know that my weight crept up on me and it won't leave willingly and quickly! :laugh: Good luck to you!
  • Shirls2012
    Shirls2012 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience (when I manage to stick to a food plan for more than the first few days) that it does take about three weeks, then all of a sudden the weight starts coming off. I'm just hoping it'll happen this time around. I bet you've lost inches round your middle, though.
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the number on the scale. Pay attention to how you feel and how your clothes fit.
  • LifeChanged1209
    Options
    Don't worry about the number on the scale. Pay attention to how you feel and how your clothes fit.

^^^^ DITTO ^^^^
  • panduhburr
    panduhburr Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself at the same time everyday? And are you doing the same workout everyday? You need to keep your body guessing with everything, foods, exercises, etc.
  • kaytiecakes
    kaytiecakes Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i've been actively counting calories, exercising about a month now, and i have lost only a single lonely pound (I weigh myself once a week first thing in the morning after i pee). but i can feel my ribs through my skin and my collarbones are more pronounced. don't sweat the poundage, pay attention to what you look like and how you feel.
  • JillianP00
    Options
    Also, doing strength training instead of just cardio will help you lose a lot more! Don't be afraid to pick up some weights.
  • argdewit4
    Options
    I'm in the same timeframe and weight loss so I guess we just need to try to be patient and stick to it. I was starting to think I need to revaluate but I am going to just wait a few more weeks. I am training for a half marathon so eating less than what I am now cannot be good for me. I know when I gain weight...my weight will stay the same for a long time and then it is like I pack on 5lbs overnight. Hopefully weight loss will be the same way! Good luck!
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I started working out 3-4 times a week in beginning of december and my weight went up 4 lb. I've now, middle of Jan, lost the 4 lb. However, I took measurements and I've lost 5.25" so far!!! If it wasn't for the measurements I may have given up already but I do know it's working. My clothes fit better, I have more energy, I feel stronger when I work out. It's all part of the equation.
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough calories - I just started myself - I am in week 3 and everything I read says make sure you eat your calories ...... I don't know but I am trying to eat them all even when I am full and water water water - even though it makes me gag sometimes LOL
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It's been 3 weeks, and I've lost two pounds. I know that's better than nothing, but seriously, I've been exercising 4-5 times a week, sometimes more than once a day, and I've been under my calorie goal (except sometimes on the weekends, but even then I'm eating way better than I was before), under sugar, salt, carbs, all that stuff. So...What the hell? Is that normal? Did that happen to other people too?

Since Jan 1st I have been working out 5-6 days a week and I have only lost a pound. I am frustrated too. I would like to see what everyone says.
  • jhunt90
    jhunt90 Posts: 78
    Options
    Thank you! I do feel like I'm not eating enough though, I don't feel low of energy or like I'm starving myself, but maybe I need to look over everything again.
  • jhunt90
    Options
    Yes, hopefully!! Thank you and don't you give up either! We can do this :)
  • jhunt90
    Options
    Yeah basically at the same time except the days I have to leave the house earlier, but I still stick as close to the same time as possible. I am doing different exercises though, I do pilates like 4 -5 times a week in the morning and then either walking, jogging, or bicycling in the evenings, so it's not the same every day, sometimes I do a combination of two of those three
  • jhunt90
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! :)