Tilapia, Cod, or Salmon

Hello! I have frozen tilapia, cod, and salmon filets because I am working on eating more fish. The only problem, I have no idea how to cook any of it! Anyone have any good, healthy (and easy) recipes for any of the above mentioned fish??

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    We bake salmon fillets for about 23 minutes at 375 degrees. We cover the filets with fresh mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes and some italian salad dressing. You can serve it with brown rice or with more veggies/salad or just on its own.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Did you know that about 40% of whats labeled as tilapia is often much cheaper fish like pollock? "Fish fraud" is a huge problem. It's not the retailer who's doing it either, it's the source.
  • We bake salmon fillets for about 23 minutes at 375 degrees. We cover the filets with fresh mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes and some italian salad dressing. You can serve it with brown rice or with more veggies/salad or just on its own.

Yum! That sounds awesome! Might have to try that tonight! -Thanks!
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    tilapia is good with lemon pepper seasoning,paprika, parsley and some fresh lemon juice cooked in the broiler on low until golden. you can also use a pat of butter on it if you like.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Make fish soup...yummy

l large onion (minced)
    3 tblspns of olive oil
    6 large Yokun Gold potatos sliced
    1 lbs cod
    1 lbs salmon (no skin )
    1 lbs. tilapia
    l/2 lbs. shrimp
    1or 2 cups fat free l/2 & l/2
    1 can of corn, (or a bag of frozen corn)
    1 bay leaf
    Salt and Pepper
    1 toe of garlic
    1 teasp. Of cumin
    1 teasp. Of ground coriander
    I use a small can of clam paste, but 2 fish boullion cube will do

Saute onions in olive oil, add potatos and enough water to just cover. Simmer till almost done. Add the washed fish and enough water to cover. Add all the seasoning and simmer till all the fish falls apart. Add the corn, Taste for seasoning, at last add the l/2 & ½. Top with freshly chopped parseley when served.
  • Did you know that about 40% of whats labeled as tilapia is often much cheaper fish like pollock? "Fish fraud" is a huge problem. It's not the retailer who's doing it either, it's the source.

Haha, I had no idea. Will it kill me? lol if not, I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference. Pathetic, I know. :-P
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    flounder tastes good like this also
    tilapia is good with lemon pepper seasoning,paprika, parsley and some fresh lemon juice cooked in the broiler on low until golden. you can also use a pat of butter on it if you like.
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Salmon and cod are great baked. Salmon can also hold up to stronger flavours like Teriyaki or Old Bay. Cod seems more delicate, butter and herbs. For the Tilapia, pan fry it as quickly as possible, let it cool, then give it to the cat.
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Yummy! It's easier than you think. Baking and broiling are good options, and it usually only takes a few minutes on each side. One of my go-to dinners is a frozen tilapia fillet cooked in a pan on medium heat with tsp olive oil, seasoned with red pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, parsley, tumeric and lemon or lime juice (all are spices I always have on hand- this is also tasty with jsut a little lemon and salt). Serve with brown rice, a salad, or wilted kale sprinkled with pinenuts- delicious!!
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    The way I fix cod is the way my mom did, so it is not the healthiest recipe (dipped in crushed bread crumbs, egg & milk then fried) but my salmon recipe is a little healthier.
    I marinate it in Italian dressing then wrap it in foil & BBQ it for 20 minutes (10 minutes each side) depending on the thickness of the salmon steak, then serve with rice & a veggie or a salad.
  • Salmon and cod are great baked. Salmon can also hold up to stronger flavours like Teriyaki or Old Bay. Cod seems more delicate, butter and herbs. For the Tilapia, pan fry it as quickly as possible, let it cool, then give it to the cat.

LOL! Not a Tilapia lover, eh?
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    http://www.food.com/recipe/asian-style-grilled-tilapia-192282

I just made the recipe above, and it was so good! I swapped out the red pepper flakes for Cayenne pepper, because I don't care for red pepper. However, the sodium count is a bit higher, but swapping reduced sodium soy sauce for regular adjusts the count.

As for salmon, I like to baste mine with teriyaki sauce, and bake it. I am constantly looking for new ways to bake it, though!
  • mogadad
    mogadad Posts: 41 Member
    Is it just me? I'm eating no-fat yogurt and cottage cheese and can barely lose a pound and you guys are lavishing things all over your fish.
  • You guys are awesome!
    I'm going to have some great fish recipes for a while! I think I might go for the baked salmon tonight, tomorrow maybe fish soup??

Thanks again for your ideas!
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    LOL! Not a Tilapia lover, eh?

I'm still not convinced it's a fish. All other fish on the menu seems tasty, so I'm wondering if the videos showing it cut and prepared are a conspiracy. My biggest restaurant disappointment was at Hibachi Steakhouse where they changed the menu from a gorgeous Red Snapper to this flavorless (except what I could only describe as the unappetizing part of 'fishy') fillet.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    You guys are awesome!
    I'm going to have some great fish recipes for a while! I think I might go for the baked salmon tonight, tomorrow maybe fish soup??

Trust me when I tell you the fish soup is AWESOME...I got it from my mother n law...
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Did you know that about 40% of whats labeled as tilapia is often much cheaper fish like pollock? "Fish fraud" is a huge problem. It's not the retailer who's doing it either, it's the source.

Haha, I had no idea. Will it kill me? lol if not, I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference. Pathetic, I know. :-P

I know, didn't bother me THAT much until I read that endandered fish are sometimes passed off as non-endangered. For instance, Atlantic salmon (which is endangered) gets sold as other types of non-endangered salmon.
  • You guys are awesome!

Trust me when I tell you the fish soup is AWESOME...I got it from my mother n law...

Good deal! Looking forward to it! I'll have to go and get a few things from the store tonight so I can cook it up tomorrow.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    375 bake for 15 to 20 minutes should do tilapia with thicker salmon and cod go for 20 minutes.
    Citrus marinades are easy. Especially helpful with tilapia. Try a bit of fresh citrus juice, a dash of soy sauce and a tablespoon or less of olive oil. You only need to marinade fish briefly. You can pour the marinade off or cook in the marinade. All three fish are a great source for low calorie protein. Low calorie basalmic vinaigrette also is a quick easy marinade. Salmon and cod are better for you because they are higher in omega -3 oils but also a bit more expensive and a little higher in calories (@20 per filet).

10624035.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member

Easy to spot. Shape of the filet.