Eggs question

Options

Replies

• trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    1 whole egg plus 1/4 C egg beaters. Yum yum!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I read a lot on here about people eating egg whites (egg white omelette, I think). Can I ask what you do with the yolk once you have separated the egg? Do you throw it away? Cheers!

I freeze my egg yolks for future use... making homemade pudding, custards, and hollandaise
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I read a lot on here about people eating egg whites (egg white omelette, I think). Can I ask what you do with the yolk once you have separated the egg? Do you throw it away? Cheers!

I freeze my egg yolks for future use... making homemade pudding, custards, and hollandaise

didn't know you could do that....awesome!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I just saw on Food Network that both yolks and whites can be frozen in ice cube trays
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hello
    Eggs are not bad really - just high in calories.
    I toss the yokes, but I always make my dishes to the ratio of 1 whole egg to 3 whites as there is wonderful nutrition in the yoke.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I buy egg whites in a carton so I don't actually waste the yolk. I still eat whole eggs by the way.. but sometimes put some extra whites in there for the protein..
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I eat egg yolks. They are yummy and have a lot of nutrients.
  • branflake5
    Options
    I make my omelet with 1 whole egg and 1 egg white and I dump the extra yolk down the drain.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I eat the yolks, it boggles my mind that people throw the most nutritious part of the egg away. It's deplorable.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I love the whole egg but if I'm low on calories I'll have an egg white rich omelette (1 whole egg 3 whites as a meal) and my son will have an egg yolk rich omelette...he needs the extra calories at 140lb 6ft3! Perfect combination.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I eat the WHOLE egg..it's good for you :smile:

:drinker: I gotta have the yolk it's the best part. Yum!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I eat the yolks, it boggles my mind that people throw the most nutritious part of the egg away. It's deplorable.

Agreed.
  • caat1rules
    caat1rules Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My dogs eat yolks every morning, sometimes raw but usually cooked
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The yolk is the tastiest part, so I eat it! However, I don't have a cholesterol problem. Double however, I do use egg substitute and alternate using it and/or mix it with a whole egg now and then to save overall calories.
  • skullkrusher22
    Options
    Should be consuming those egg yolks. It is high in the "good cholesterol". Plus, you are missing out on some essential amino acids.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Agreed.

not all of us said we toss it....
  • fuzz_pawz
    fuzz_pawz Posts: 106
    Options
    When I used to do that I gave it to my cat. But now that eggs are considered healthy I don't separate them any more.

Tsk tsk...raw???? bad bad bad...even as cooked it's not good , too much fat for a cat
  • skullkrusher22
    Options
    Good Girl!!
  • mezzosoprano89
    mezzosoprano89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg now, I used to not like the taste of yolk, but since the yolk holds so many nutrients I make sure to eat the entire egg now, and it's a nice compliment to the rest of my breakfast.
  • Acatlett77
    Options
    I used to make omelets on the weekends & I used egg whites in the carton. They last forever!!! I stopped making them cause I like baby spinach leaves in mine & right now they go bad so fast so I stopped buying them. I would put mushrooms, baby spinach, mozzarella, & diced tomatoes in mine the tomato is a must! It just gives it a great flavor!