The 1200 Calorie Diet

Options
I am on the 1200 calorie diet in hopes of losing 30 pounds by my wedding, April 21, 2012! Has anyone been successful losing that much so quickly? I am about 5'8" and I started in at 230 before Christmas and am currently at 213.5! I really want to look confident in my wedding gown. I do exercise 2-3 times per week. Walking on the treadmill, recently started doing Zumba, and I occasionally lift 5 pound weights for upper body toning. I eat healthy calories only and with nutritional value. And water! Water!water!

So, I would love to hear success stories and any advice!

Replies

• 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Don't neglect to eat your exercise calories back.

Even if you don't make your goal, you're gonna be one fit, strong chicky if you stick to that :-)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    well I did lose 20 lbs before my wedding (i joined in february and my wedding was in June). The problem was that I ordered my dress when I was 20 lbs heavier. I had no idea that 20 lbs would make such a huge difference! So just a word of warning-- it's kind of tricky to plan weight loss for a wedding. I had to have my dress extremely altered and it still didn't look right. On the other hand I've seen people order their dress too small with plans to lose weight and then look squeezed into it, and that's not good either. I'm not sure what the solution is but good luck and just remember your wedding will be fantastic no matter what your weight is-- it's all about the marriage. :flowerforyou:
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    yea actually i lost all of my weight (that you can see right now) from Nov. 22 2010 to Late feb 2011 during that time i ate 1200 cals a day zumba'd an hour a day 7 days a week and did not eat back my excercise calories since then i have been struggling however between march and july i lost an additonal about 8lbs which i have put back on since then so i had been at 44lbs lost im now at 36lbs lost again oh well but yes its achieveable in that amount of time if you focus mainly on that
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27# since November 1st on a 1200 calorie diet. But I started out a lot heavier than you, and fat people lose more quickly in the beginning. ;-) I think you can do it though. Sounds like you're on the right track! It's important to remember not to short-change your calorie intake, and allow yourself a splurge once in a while, it helps keep your body (metabolism) from getting complacent about losing weight...
  • avk9802
    avk9802 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to lose 30lbs by April my suggestions would be to at least get cardio in EVERYDAY! 7 days a week. Eating 1200 calories is good. That's what everyone says to keep your diet at. However; from my experience I only eat 1000 calories a day and with my cardio everyday and strength training 5-7 days a week.. I lose 2-3lbs a week. You can def. do it. Just stay determined and remember you're in control of your body and what you eat!

Congrats on the engagement!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did it last year - lost 40 lbs. Now, had I not become lazy and started bad habits.....I would have kept it off...............this is a good website. Do yourself a favor and not think of it as a diet..............if you want it to stay off, think of it as a lifestyle change.:bigsmile:
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs in 5 months eating 1200 calories a day and not exercising. However, now is a different story. I have to eat more and exercise to lose. If I eat 1200 calories a day, my weight stays the same. 1200 calories worked for me, but its not for the long run.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Please eat back your exercise calories. It is dangerous to start eating below 1200 net. That's why MFP has that number as its lowest setting. Especially considering how much you have to lose, eating them back will be better for weight loss than not.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Eating below BMR is a surefire way to kill metabolism, lose lean mass and jump back on the cake gobbling wagon.

Eat at 1600 calories and create a deficit through working out.
    Youll get proper nutrition, energy and revvvvvvv that metabolism!
    Dont forget your high protein, essential fats and carbs too!
  • cassieday
    cassieday Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 pounds and it was really hard. To lose that much by the end of april i suggest working out at least 4 days a week if not 5 or 6. I am a mom and work and its hard to find the time but you have to to lost the weight. Also, make sure to ALWAYS eat at least 1200 calories a day. I know its easy to feel the less you eat the faster you'll lose but that messes with your metabolism which will just make you gain. Feel free to add me for further encouragement and good luck!
  • rrbass87
    Options
    Thanks so much for your time to answer my question. Very inspiring! I did order my dress a size smaller. Maybe I shouldn't lose 30 pounds too quickly.I just really want to fit my dress without looking squeezed into or have it too loose fitting, either! It's so nerve racking! We planned the wedding rather quickly. My soon to be husband is leaving for PA for a job and we don't know for how long. I just want to be beautiful on our wedding day!
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    picard-facepalm.jpg
    Not another 1200 calorie fail forum post...

that's kinda rude for you to post for someone just starting out....geez
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your time to answer my question. Very inspiring! I did order my dress a size smaller. Maybe I shouldn't lose 30 pounds too quickly.I just really want to fit my dress without looking squeezed into or have it too loose fitting, either! It's so nerve racking! We planned the wedding rather quickly. My soon to be husband is leaving for PA for a job and we don't know for how long. I just want to be beautiful on our wedding day!

Beauty doesn't have a weight limit, sweets.
  • rrbass87
    Options
    Thanks. :)
  • cjmommy82
    cjmommy82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    well, one thing to keep in mind is that every bride is beautiful on her wedding day and no matter how much weight you lose or dont lose i am sure the story wont be different for you.
  • Emellon
    Emellon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to lose 30lbs by April my suggestions would be to at least get cardio in EVERYDAY! 7 days a week. Eating 1200 calories is good. That's what everyone says to keep your diet at. However; from my experience I only eat 1000 calories a day and with my cardio everyday and strength training 5-7 days a week.. I lose 2-3lbs a week. You can def. do it. Just stay determined and remember you're in control of your body and what you eat!

This! Totally bang-on! And since it's for your wedding, you have extra motivation to stick to working out.
    Good luck!
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    I aim for approx. 1200 cals. I exercise and eat back the calories *only* as needed. I do not eat them for the sake of it but when I am hungry. Some days I am some days not so much. To eat that low cals I HIGHLY recommend TONS of veggies and protein! Eggs are your friend. They keep you full! I do low carb and it is working very well for me.

Good luck.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "The 1200 Calorie Diet".

I'm on a 3000 calorie diet. Should you do it? No.

Some people succeed with a 2200 calorie diet. Should you do that one? No.

Some people succeed with a 1200 calorie diet. Should you do that one? No.

Very few people have lasting success eating 1200 calories. Check out the girl above who said she lost weight w/ 1200 cals a day and is now struggling. Do you want to dump some pounds and struggle or do you want to dump some pounds and be a champion bad *kitten*?

How many calories do YOU need a day to lose weight? Run the numbers. Do the tracking.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Me? Rude? Nah!
    If anyone reads any of the forums before posting they can see a lot of posters talking about how to diet and how not to diet.
    Going into a life change shouldnt be done blindly!
    You should research and get all the proper info before cutting calories way too low.
    You spend any time on these forums and youll see 100 forum posts about "1200 calorie diet yaddah..." a week!

If you want a sustainable diet you need to eat the proper nutrients and work out.
    Period!

My Picard pic got your attention though didnt it?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

I am sorry, but this doesn't make sense. You have to be in a 1000-1500 calorie deficit. Meaning your average calorie burn is 2250 calories per day. Weight training adds muscle so you will weigh more. Also low calorie diets like that, are catabolic(cause a person to lose muscle mass) and they also effect your thyroid i a negative way. The thyroid slows down your metabolic rate.

Copletely agree. I wouldn't take the above advice at all!