Potatoes...bad?

Options

Replies

• barbiebarkley
    Options
    i eat the just when i do its in moderation and if i fry the i use the spray i cant belive its not butter and pam butter flavor.i also make my own low fat potato salad.so anything is great in moderation....
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I eat baked potatoes at least once a week with skin on. high in Vit C, fibre and not very high in calories.

I like mine loaded with home made veg chilli and a little sprinkle of low-fat cheese. a complete meal for under 600 calories.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I just ate a bunch sauteed in rendered pancetta fat, nom nom nom
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes, I could eat them every day, but I notice a lot of people on mfp don't eat them....how come? Enlighten me, maybe it's something I need to know :)
    I eat them on free days; they're terrible food though from a health perspective.
    I like them baked, stuffed and fried.

Gotta have my potatoes!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes, I could eat them every day, but I notice a lot of people on mfp don't eat them....how come? Enlighten me, maybe it's something I need to know :)
    I eat them on free days; they're terrible food though from a health perspective.

Gotta have my potatoes!

please clarify the above bolded statement
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't see any bad about potatoes, they actually very high in potassium and I don't eat bananas so when I feel my body seizing I eat potatoes, especially sweet potatoes. I actually grew sweet potato i my garden this year, and am looking to expand to other potatoes next year. As a gluten free cook I use potato flour in recipes at times. You just have to work it into your calorie count.
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes in moderation. I usually top them with a low calorie chili and that only. No sour cream, butter, etc. Makes for a good solid meal.
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I reduce to a real minimum, like once a month on doctors orders because of my insulin resistance. Also I changed my diet after reading the books Eat Right 4 your Type and Live Right 4 your type and as a blood type A they are not good for me. Before someone tries to go against those books, I changed my diet 4 months ago to this type and the first time in my life I am allergy free and a lot of other minor health issues are gone, so I believe in it. First I thought it would be hard on me, because I LOVE baked potatoes, love gouda cheese, but in favor to my health it is ok to go without them.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Potatoes have more then 2 times the potassium of a banana. The only other foods higher in potassium are Raisins (1 cup) - 1088 mg (who can eat a whole cup) and White beans (1 cup) - 1189 mg.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Potatoes = Good
    Pumpkin/Squash = Great
    Sweet Potato = Super Awesome!

I used to love potato, but since getting a taste of the sweet stuff, it just seems second rate... my personal opinion though. Its just a shame regular potato is about 1/5th of the cost of sweet potato :(

I agree, I would take squash or sweet potato over a regular potato any day.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

Gotta have my potatoes!

please clarify the above bolded statement
    You dare question me?
    I'll remove your name from the book of life....

How's that for enlightenment!
    As for potatoes, the way I eat them - buttered, stuffed and fried smothered with ketchup, they're not considered health food.
    And I don't eat starchy foods as I have cut down on carbs, and I don't eat potatoes, pasta or breads, because these foods as they stand alone aren't so bad, but just see what I do to them.

Not good.
  • Karlaki
    Karlaki Posts: 74
    Options
    I am diabetic and also love potatos. Lately I've been cutting one (medium potato of choice) thin with a mandolin, laying em out on the cookie sheet, shooting a quick mist of oil, then putting a little garlic powder on em. Bake at 350 for 20 or so minutes and presto, I have home-made chips without 99% of the oil, baked deliciousness. This works for both sweet and white/russet/your potato of choice. Sometimes I do a quick swipe though plain greek yogurt, or better yet a quick dip into my home-made tzadziki - greek yogurt with garlic and finely shredded cucumber.

As long as I'm in my calorie count I'm golden and have really happy taste-buds.
  • bghere
    bghere Posts: 42
    Options
    BUMP
  • 2Phat1
    2Phat1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'd love the recipe.
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Nothing is bad in moderation. :smile:
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the insight :)
    It looks like a lot more people than it seemed still enjoy potatoes! (Thank goodness...because...YUM)
  • 2Phat1
    2Phat1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and also love potatos. Lately I've been cutting one (medium potato of choice) thin with a mandolin, laying em out on the cookie sheet, shooting a quick mist of oil, then putting a little garlic powder on em. Bake at 350 for 20 or so minutes and presto, I have home-made chips without 99% of the oil, baked deliciousness. This works for both sweet and white/russet/your potato of choice. Sometimes I do a quick swipe though plain greek yogurt, or better yet a quick dip into my home-made tzadziki - greek yogurt with garlic and finely shredded cucumber.

As long as I'm in my calorie count I'm golden and have really happy taste-buds.

I tried it, I loved it and oh so simple. I have been missing my chips. :flowerforyou:
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Nothing is bad in moderation. :smile:

Arsenic is! ....and cyanide. And maybe rat poison.
  • MeowserKitty
    Options
    I eat excessive amounts of sweet potatoes. I'm fine. If I liked white potatoes I would do the same. Toppings are the killer.
  • JCN_1103
    Options
    simply put.....there is nothing wrong with potatoes.