Whether you believe in starvation mode or not. . .

Options
Please read this before you start restricting below 1200 calories. It's the other part of the 1950s starvation study that everyone talks about. Apparently no one ever reads this part, which is much scarier to me than the possible slowing of the metabolism. The participants in the study were psychologically healthy when they started. When they finished, not so much.

http://www.possibility.com/wiki/index.php?title=EffectsOfSemiStarvation

I'm not ruling out the possibility that some can eat less than 1200 calories and be fine, but think twice about recommending it to someone you don't know. Also I realize this is a wiki article and hardly a peer reviewed study, but the article is referencing the same study that most people here quote when arguing for or against the existence of starvation mode.

I'm all for doing what works for you, but you do need to know all the facts before you make a decision about what that is.

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    already buried-- how depressing. Anyway, bumping once then I will let it die if no one wants to read.
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting.
  • nahralynn
    nahralynn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That's some crazy stuff! How frail we are ...
  • SLT01
    SLT01 Posts: 58
    Options
    bump, at work and I dont have time to read it, catch it at home.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

No kidding-- one guy cut off three fingers, and he was considered psychologically sound in the beginning.
  • nahralynn
    nahralynn Posts: 125 Member
    Options

No kidding-- one guy cut off three fingers, and he was considered psychologically sound in the beginning.

Yea, you truly don't know what you would do!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that. Very interesting reading.
  • EmmaPinkyB
    Options
    Interesting article. A few holes though, given it was done in the 1950's and the study was done only on men at the peak of their 'physical and mental fitness' doesn't represent society as a whole. People in peak physical fitness are likely to have more muscle mass, so that's the first thing the body loses,a s muscles take the most energy to maintain.

Many studies now say the body only goes into starvation mode after around 72 hours. Which is why people can fast a couple of days a week - check out the science behind Eat.Stop.Eat

It's an interesting article, but with today's knowledge I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Interesting article. A few holes though, given it was done in the 1950's and the study was done only on men at the peak of their 'physical and mental fitness' doesn't represent society as a whole. People in peak physical fitness are likely to have more muscle mass, so that's the first thing the body loses,a s muscles take the most energy to maintain.

Many studies now say the body only goes into starvation mode after around 72 hours. Which is why people can fast a couple of days a week - check out the science behind Eat.Stop.Eat

It's an interesting article, but with today's knowledge I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

I agree, and I would like to see some more current studies done. But I do think it's worth a read just because of the psychological implications if there's any truth to it at all. I saw SO many people recommending that other people restrict their calories quite low today (one person suggested 600 as a good goal) that I thought it's at least worth considering.
  • holli_walker
    holli_walker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    All I can say is wow! That is insane. Thanks for sharing.
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Being on nights i felt too tired and sick to eat this morning. Slept till 4:30pm, light snack on waking, had dinner before leaving for work. Upshot, way under goal and slightly under 1200, felt rotten for a while and hungrier than usual. Topped up cals and have sinc efelt better. Nearly home time. Thanks for post, very intresting.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Good thing I believe I eating. :-p