There is no $$ in weight loss

Options
There is no $$ in weight loss at least that is what my grocery bill tells me. It is amazing how expensive it is to eat healthy verses eating a bunch of crap. Maybe if healthy foods were less expensive then the cost of healthcare/premiums would go down because all of us wouldn't have so many health issues related to being fat. I guess there is no money is the cure no matter how you see it....just a thought....

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    There is no $$ in weight loss at least that is what my grocery bill tells me. It is amazing how expensive it is to eat healthy verses eating a bunch of crap. Maybe if healthy foods were less expensive then the cost of healthcare/premiums would go down because all of us wouldn't have so many health issues related to being fat. I guess there is no money is the cure no matter how you see it....just a thought....

Not necessarily..
    Buy stuff in bulk, buy frozen veggies, buy homebrand, buy fruit which is in season...
    You can do it.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    i agree with this 100% Why does a bag of chips cost 99 cents and a bag of apples is 3.49? It is ridiculous thats for sure.
  • lc504
    lc504 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Not necessarily..
    Buy stuff in bulk, buy frozen veggies, buy homebrand, buy fruit which is in season...
    You can do it.

I agree. Many healthy dinners can be cheaper than your average "fast food" meal, although I'm too tired to go searching for examples at this moment. Making meals in bulk while the ingredients are in season & freezing the leftovers in particular can be very helpful. Also, when in doubt choose beans! So cheap, flavorful and healthy.
  • vxjammiedodgerxv
    vxjammiedodgerxv Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%

It is so much harder to eat healthily when it doubles my food shopping bill. Eating crap is cheap as hell. I've said this for years. And when you basically live week to week on what you money you have, it's pretty depressing to go shopping x
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your protein sources, quantities you're buying in, if you're taking any supplements, and on if you're buying in season or not. The more health-conscious prepackaged options can be overpriced though.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    for example, i bought a pack of 10 chicken thigh fillets for $9.99 and a pack of frozen veggies (peas, corn, carrots) for $2 and this will be my lunches for almost 2 weeks.
    but when i used to eat maccas every day i was spending at least $15+ per DAY on food.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    i agree with this 100% Why does a bag of chips cost 99 cents and a bag of apples is 3.49? It is ridiculous thats for sure.

And a bag of chips lasts 1 snack and a bag of apples will last what 10 or 12 (a lot more apples than chips!)

I couldnt disagree more. My partner and I save about $120 a week from making our lunches compared to buying it. We also have our groceries delivered - so no last minute additions to the basket. And we no longer eat crap!!!

But you know - if you get nutrition out of chips you are doing much better than me!
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    for example, i bought a pack of 10 chicken thigh fillets for $9.99 and a pack of frozen veggies (peas, corn, carrots) for $2 and this will be my lunches for almost 2 weeks.
    but when i used to eat maccas every day i was spending at least $15+ per DAY on food.

Exactly! Ellie - tag team :happy:
  • ramius
    ramius Posts: 91
    Options

This is true.. just as a example -- you try to get some things organic -- fruits and vegies right.. ok there's double your bill right there..regular milk 299/ gal -- organic 5.59 to over 6$ --- Banannas -- 59 - 69Cents vs 99cents / lb -- the fresh meat that is lean cut vs the crap thats got lots of fat in it and on sale.. -- it's been my expierence since I've been watching the labels that there are very few times when whats good for you doesn't cost at least a little more than the processed junk sitting right beside it.. I've just adjusted and gotten used to it -- and I don't know about you all but if I go back and eat one of those meals full of junk.. I feel like absolute dog squeeze afterwards -- thus my body punishes me for trying to go and eat poorly.. so that alone is worth whatever additional $$ I'm now spending on good food..

PS -- yes there is the occasional brownie mix thrown in there.. I have kids after all :)
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I agree. Healthy fillets of chicken and fish cost at least three times the price of breaded, processed products. Fresh fruit and vegetables are expensive, and if you want to add other meats they're even worse. Luckily, I'm very paranoid about fresh foods and don't buy fresh too often anyway, so I at least save money with frozen vegetables.

I've been doing this for 15 months, and it was incredibly difficult at first but prices still seem to be rising. Plus, since I've joined MFP I've had to start snacking to eat back my exercise calories - I'm not a snacker, but they add quite a bit to the weekly bill, too!
  • Bosbes
    Bosbes Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don´t agree, but maybe that´s because I was eating healthy + crap before and now I'm just eating healthy... So I'm spending less.
  • opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm not entirely agreeing, but there are some areas we can cut our costs.

Instead of buying fresh produce all the time, plant some of the ones you use regularly (lettuce, baby spinich, tomatos, mustard greens, green onions, chives, parsley, basil).

Buying bulk meat and portioning and freezing them saves a lot of money too. Buying whole cuts and then asking the butcher to grind them for you or you can chop them yourself saves money also.
  • sgOkiozm
    Options
    We have saved a ton of money by eating healthy. Almost 600.00 a month. Depends on what you want to buy I suppose. Go to your local fresh fruit/produce market, it's cheaper than Kroger/Walmart or whatever.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    In general (if you didn't get takeaway) I agree, as ready meals, frozen pizzas etc etc are so much cheaper than fresh food, and crisps, biscuits etc are usually cheaper than fruit & veg.
    For me before MFP, I didn't necessarily used to eat badly, just too much food in general, and not enough fresh stuff. Just pasta, cereal, frozen food, jars/tins, noodles... I didn't have much I could keep in a fridge,like meat, as I had the worst flatmates in my first year of uni who would just take everything if they liked it, regardless of if it wasn't theres. I used to spend hardly anything, probably £20 a week at the most. Now I can easily get through £60 a week or more (that does include my partner) but still its 3x a much (meat and other fridge stuff is probably half of that!)

I disagree if you used to get takeaways though. Takeaways are so expensive!! and you can definitely get a healthy meal cheaper than one if you shop around.
  • CrimsonVixen
    CrimsonVixen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I personally think it is a bit of a mixed bag, as mentioned in an above post it depends on your protein sources. I tend to buy tinned mackerel, sardines and tuna, various beans(which are incredibly cheap) with occasional chicken for my protein sources. However if you are a person who tends to have meat every day then I think it can be quite expensive. I think eating healthily on the whole is rather cheap but I still find organic food too expensive for me unless it is on some kind of sale.
  • amfeierabend74
    Options
    I love going to Winco and shopping in the bulk food section! Be willing to try new things, you might surprise yourself. Also, I have learned to shop the perimeter. I no longer shop the isles where you can buy chips, cookies etc. You can do it. Watch for deals. Spring and summer, start watching for fruit and veggie stands to open, also farmers markets!
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    I agree with OP because I go grocery shopping for 3 people ( 2 adults and one kid) and if I buy unhealthy ( canned everything, boxed everything and unhealthy snacks) I spend $50-$75.. for a week... If I go healthy and buy the good stuff, I spend $150... There is no bulk store in my town.. We have Wal-Mart , Fry's , and Safeway. All the produce is horrible. We are in a bigger city visiting and brought a cooler with to buy some stuff from out here, b/c our town sucks with stock.
    I do think that if someone is on food stamps and buys healthy, there should be a discount or something. Because when I was on foodstamps, and wanted to eat healthy, I spent my whole months money on one week. But if I bought the unhealthy stuff, I had enough money to last me. I know some states wont allow you to buy certain products with foodstamps such as sugary and unhealthy food, so why not give a discount.
  • failnomore
    Options
    I agree to some extent with OP, yes buying all the healthy foods can be expensive, but I have over all saved money i think. Because i am now not having the 2 takeaways a week, not buying all the chocolate bars that i would have bought before. I would have gone into a garage or local shop to get bread or milk and also have bought a couple of bars of chocolate and not even thought about it, now I do seem to have a few extra euros in my pocket during the week.
    It is a shock at the checkout some weeks when doing my weekly shop, but then I remember how much I am saving mid week from not buying all the little bits of crap ;)
  • prism68
    prism68 Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree with OP because I go grocery shopping for 3 people ( 2 adults and one kid) and if I buy unhealthy ( canned everything, boxed everything and unhealthy snacks) I spend $50-$75.. for a week... If I go healthy and buy the good stuff, I spend $150... There is no bulk store in my town.. We have Wal-Mart , Fry's , and Safeway. All the produce is horrible. We are in a bigger city visiting and brought a cooler with to buy some stuff from out here, b/c our town sucks with stock.
    I do think that if someone is on food stamps and buys healthy, there should be a discount or something. Because when I was on foodstamps, and wanted to eat healthy, I spent my whole months money on one week. But if I bought the unhealthy stuff, I had enough money to last me. I know some states wont allow you to buy certain products with foodstamps such as sugary and unhealthy food, so why not give a discount.

Our local Farmer's Market got a grant that allowed people using food stamps to pay to receive half off all the fresh produce... I thought that was the coolest thing! If they chose to buy healthy stuff, their money went twice as far :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's an investment but a worthy investment.
    And the money in weight loss is made by all the scammers with some bogus product or device that can help you lose weight fast while gaining muscle.

I want in that fraud! That's like striking oil!