Potatoes...bad?

Options
124»

Replies

• EmmaPinkyB
    Options
    I love potatoes too, but try not to eat them more than a couple of times a week. I actually switched to sweet potatoes and I love them as well.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    CARB CARB CARB!
  • 2Phat1
    2Phat1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Nothing is bad in moderation. :smile:

Arsenic is! ....and cyanide. And maybe rat poison.

Arsenic in mild doses is still used as a heart stimulant for people with heart problems. I agree with the previous premise that all things are good in moderation. (Including moderation.) :devil:
  • Greenhaven44
    Greenhaven44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well I eat them I just plan it in ....
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 1 potato every day, usually for my dinner. I will never give them up. They keep me full for the rest of the evening so i don't end up snacking. As long as you plan them into your day there shouldn't be a problem. :wink:
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Nothing is bad in moderation. :smile:

How bout snake bites? :laugh:
  • Michelle650
    Options
    I love potatoes!! I eat them almost every day and it hasnt stopped me losing 20lbs!!
  • jmvmisc24
    jmvmisc24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    pototoes are only bad wheIn you put on that excess salt, butter, bacon bits, and stuff. When i do fries i put hardly any salt and i bake them in the oven. (no greasy fries) and mashed potatoes are skim milk, fat free butter, and bacon bits. no salt.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    You have to do what you think is best for you. I decided from day 1 that I would not cut any food out completely. I had done this multiple times in the past with little to no long term success. I do however try to cook them a little differently. I still make mashed potatoes but I use little to no butter. I use a potato and cut it into wedges and bake them to make fries when I really feel the need for fries. I use a lot of spices to make them have some pizzazz.

All about learning how to eat what we like for the rest of our lives. This above answer completely!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes, but like everthing else it's about portion size. A portion of baked potatoes is 4 oz..
    I have a food scale. It helped me get a grip on portions size. :drinker:
    Food Portion Size
    3 oz. of meat Deck of cards
    Baked potato Computer mouse
    Bagel Hockey puck
    Potato chips, pretzels, popcorn Teacup
    Rice Cupcake wrapper
    1 oz. of cheese Roll of film
    Nuts Egg
    Pasta Lightbulb
  • mjsmith1223
    Options
    I like them baked topped with salsa and small dollop of plain yogurt. Usually when I have a baked potato it's the main course. Sometimes I'll have a salad on the side. With the skin they are a great source of many vitamins and minerals. Skip the salt and they are naturally low in sodium.

Don't be a tater hater.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I think people who do the low carb thing avoid them. Not me... I love potatoes! As long as they fit into my calories for the day I eat them.
  • akrzyzewski
    akrzyzewski Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Baked potato with a little olive oil and a little bit of freshly grated parmesean cheese or Romano cheese. 1 tb of fresh grated parm cheese has 22 cal 2 grams of fat and less than 1 g sat fat 76 mg sodium and a lot of flavor. U are better buying it in the block and grating it fresh because it lasts forever (i had a half a pound of romano cheese and it lasted me more than 6 months, as long as there is no mold and no change in smell ill eat it, but the salt helps it keep, and just leave wrapped in saran wrap in a plastic bag)so it won't go to waste, Or use just a tiny bit of butter. But whatever you do don't use any imitation butter spreads or fat free butter I can't believe it's not butter kinda thing, they are made of unhealthy vegetable oils or canola oils and processed chemicals and preservatives. Butter is not as bad for you as once thought, as long as you watch the portion size because it is not heavily processed.
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I LOVE potatoes. my favorite and probably only way I eat them is chopped up and boiled before adding lemon juice with salt and pepper. mmm I'm gonna have some for dinner tonight! As long as I'm under my calories for the day I'll eat potatoes all day. (:
  • lilbear412
    Options
    I LOVE potatoes..had WLS and thats one of the no no 's because its starchy and we have to concentrate more on protein. Still anything in moderation is my motto and i DO eat potatoes, i just don't eat them as often. Last night i made stew and i put potatoes in it and you bet i ate them.
  • lboogie188
    Options
    I don't eat them because they are a high glycemIc food. Meaning after you eat them you will experience a spike in your sugar levels causing your body to release large amounts of insulin and as a result your body will go into fat storing mode. So ultimately slowing your weight loss.

It is explained very well in this video
    http://www.beyonddiet.com/bd/landing?food=avocado

this^^^ I havent had a potatoe in months because they are too high glycemic for a person with PCOS and insulin resistance like myself. i CANNOT lose weight and eat potatoes. it just wont work. that is the only food that is off limits for me. well that and krispy kreme donuts cuz i binge on both