Steel Cut Oats

Options
I recently tried steel cut oats for the first time but they came out really crunchy when I prepared them the same way as I prepare rolled oats. What's the secret? Do I need to soak them overnight? I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Replies

• mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I soak them overnight. It helps a bit.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats take a lot longer to cook than rolled oats. :) The package should have instructions for the stove top, but I have also had success microwaving them for a long time (upwards 20 minutes) when I'm feeling lazier. I like to make a big batch and keep it in the fridge.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    The package I have says to cook it on the stovetop for about 20 minutes. They still have a bitier texture than rolled, but you shouldn't break a tooth on them..
  • Mocha02
    Mocha02 Posts: 96
    Options
    Yikes! I think I'll stick with the rolled oats.
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My husband cooks his 30 minutes, he says they taste way better than rolled.
  • treatingmybodyright
    treatingmybodyright Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Cook them in the crockpot overnight or for 6-7 hours during the day. I use 1.5 cups of steel cut oats and six cups of water and throw in some cinnamon and artificial sweetener. I then divide it into small containers and have breakfast for the week.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Cook them in the crockpot overnight or for 6-7 hours during the day. I use 1.5 cups of steel cut oats and six cups of water and throw in some cinnamon and artificial sweetener. I then divide it into small containers and have breakfast for the week.

^^^^^^ this is a great idea =)
  • nurse_chris
    Options
    I use these http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/products.html?product=3317 and cook about a weeks worth so i have something quick in the mornings before school.

Steel cut take a long time to cook 20-40 mins depending if you're one of those people that only cook on high.

I add cinnamon, cut almonds and either dried cranberries or dried blueberries to mine once i turn off the heat and let the pot sit for a few minutes.....
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    There are lots of great recipes for cooking them in the crockpot overnight.

http://www.food.com/recipe/steel-cut-oatmeal-for-the-crock-pot-101101

I have modified mine with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices before and it was delicious. I have also used vanilla and blueberries with great success.
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Overnight, yikes! We eat steel cut all the time - the secret is to start them in the pan in the cold water and then when the water comes to a boil, simmer it for the recommended time (at our altitude that is 20 min or so, definately NOT longer than 30).

If we had to cook them overnight, we'd skip 'em and go back to rolled. But, the health benefits (the extra fiber) of steel is sooooo beneficial. Keep experimenting til you come up with something you can work with.

-Debra
  • indianjones
    indianjones Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I prefer the one where you bring the water to a boil, pour the oatmeal in and let the mixture come to boil, turn off the stove and let it sit overnight on the stove. The heat in the water finishes the cooking.
    I do this just before I go to bed and it is ready in the morning.
    You can make one or two cups and save it in the fridge to eat for a few days.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I like mine to pop in my mouth, so I usually cook them on low for about 10 -15 minutes. Recently I bought the whole oat groats (much cheaper) and just give them a quick blitz in the coffee grinder. Again, still just 10-15 minutes to cook. Love them with peanut butter or cinammon and apples or bananas or malt extract. So many lovely flavours ... and the texture is sooo much better than regular porridge oats.
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks!
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I prefer the one where you bring the water to a boil, pour the oatmeal in and let the mixture come to boil, turn off the stove and let it sit overnight on the stove. The heat in the water finishes the cooking.
    I do this just before I go to bed and it is ready in the morning.
    You can make one or two cups and save it in the fridge to eat for a few days.

^^^^
    This, only I boil mine for 4 min. before shutting them off. In the morning put some in a bowl with a little chocolate protein powder & microwave for 1 1/2 min. to warm up. My husband adds milk to his in the morning, because he likes it soupier.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I need a teaspoon of sugar in mine. And I love it with 1/4-1/8 cup nuts, a whole tsp cinnamon in my one serving, sometimes vanilla or dried fruit. I cook mine on the stove while I'm getting ready in the morning and it doesn't seem like too long if i'm up early enough. I can't stand to eat rolled oats anymore. It's too much mush after eating these nutty goodies. I cook them on top of the stove. They are easy to take along and stay warm in a tight container.

My first try was with Quick Cooking Steel Cut Oats. 5 minutes and it's done! You can't hardly turn around and it's been 5 minutes. Even quick rolled oats in the microwave will take this long to prepare, all in all. Look for that if you don't want to fool around cooking. Now that I have the longer cooking ones for a while I think the 5 minute kind tastes more mushy. I'm willing to wait longer for better taste. You don't have to stand there and watch it cook once it's on simmer.
  • mwestonp
    mwestonp Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out the pre-cooked frozen steel cut oatmeal options? The one we buy from Trader Joe's is awesome. Looks like Trader Joe's may be a bit far from where you're at (60 miles or so). The brand Amy's Organic offers frozen steel cut oatmeal as well and you can typically find their stuff at major grocery stores.

Now, you're probably saying, "frozen oatmeal...how lazy can you be", right? But it takes some work to cook steel cut oatmeal right (in my opinion), and we've found these to be great, quick options. Take care!
  • versuga
    versuga Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in the crockpot on low overnight! They turn out wonderful!
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    I use my rice cooker, just follow the directions for cooking rice. You can get a cheap rice cooker at any department store for $20-$30
  • belladonna_3k
    Options
    I'm guessing you cook them on low for that long? I think this is such a good idea.. I'm going to try it :-)
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Bobs red mill steel cut oats. No soaking nd turn out great. Ready in 15 to 20 mins. They refridgerate well too. Sorry for the spelling...