In Saudi Arabia - How to Exercise

Options
I'm 20, and I do have plenty of time for exercise. However, it's really difficult for a girl in Saudi Arabia to just go out of the house and run. Parks aren't nearby and I'll need someone to take me there. Closest girls' gym is far too.

How can I incorporate cardio exercise in my sucks-like-hell lifestyle?

Replies

• titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    In New England, during the winter when it is too cold to even do skiing or outdoor sports, we do things like jump-rope (VERY good exercise - and the rope costs very little) or now the fitness video games like Wii Fit or Kinect (I love the dance games like Dance Central). Even jumping jacks are good exercise.
  • bijoux2711
    Options
    Hi there, although I don't have the same challenges living in Australia, I am an avid believer in the home circuit. I do a combination of burpees, tuck jumps, lunges, skipping, planks, push ups, and squats and I have no problem keeping my heart rate up for a minimum of 45 mins. A skipping rope and exercise DVDs are also great suggestions.
  • anasf139
    anasf139 Posts: 101
    Options
    if you go to youtube there are hundreds of videos on youtube with in home workouts that you can follow along too. I used them before I joined the gym and felt that I got a decent workout in. It does take a lot of looking to find videos you like and stuff but its worth it in the long run, i saved playlists.

If you want I could help you with find what your looking for if I have any you might want.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of circuit training at home, so you don't even need to leave the house.

I put on my favourite music and mix cardio with strength training..
    So for 1-2 minutes I'll do a mix of different cardio like jumping jacks, jogging in place, , etc (you can use moves from any of the aerobic workouts) and then do 1-2 minutes of squats, pushups, lunges, free weights. Then I repeat the cycle. You can have a great workout this way!!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If you want it bad enough, you will find a way. Period.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Grab some exercise videos for your dvd player or computer... I believe there are my also available on the internet for you to access.

Many of the fitness magazines also have workouts available on their websites.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    If you have stairs in your home, running up and down them is also a great cardio workout. I'm sorry that you have limited accessibility to the other things outside the home, but I admire your motivation to do what you can with where you're at! There are lots of nice and supportive people on this site that can offer great suggestions. Good luck! :smile:
  • JasonGinMI
    JasonGinMI Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can find good workouts online such as push up, sit up routines that you can do at home. Or maybe purchase some work out DVDs such as Insanity! It is awesome and I am doing that one right now and have lost 5 lbs in two weeks.
  • Lorie66
    Lorie66 Posts: 66
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has some great walk at home dvds...they are high impact and are at least 2 miles of walking before you stop..she also adds strength and toning in with the walks...perfect for indoor cardio.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Wow, I take a lot for granted. I don't know if you have stairs in your house but I jog up and down my stairs everyday for 30-40 minutes. Do some strength training working 2 different muscle groups and do yoga. That is my morning routine and I never have to leave the house.
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/challenge_detail.asp?challenge=10

If you go to this website and scroll down to where it says January Jumpstart challenge there are daily exercise videos.

Hope this helps! Good for you for reaching out for ideas!

Friend me if you'd like :)

Enjoy your journey.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I do aerobics at home so you should be able to do something like that too. Put on some music and dance and jump around.

You don't need fancy, expensive exercise equipment to get a decent workout.

Jump roping is a good idea too.

If you live in an upper apartment, it could be difficult because you don't want to disturb the neighbors below you but if you keep it within reasonable hours, it should be okay.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

She's dealing with some unique challenges. She can't just leave the house in her shorts and t-shirt you know.. correct me if I'm wrong OP but I don't think she can even go alone, no matter how she's dressed. So it's a little different than for you and I. That's why she came for suggestions.
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I agree! Her effort of finding a way is asking nice MFP people for suggestions that will work with her unique challenges.... I say GOOD for her!
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    She's dealing with some unique challenges. She can't just leave the house in her shorts and t-shirt you know.. correct me if I'm wrong OP but I don't think she can even go alone, no matter how she's dressed. So it's a little different than for you and I. That's why she came for suggestions.
    Agreed.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My wife is inigreat shape, right now she does Cathe Friedrich videos.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

True, but not all that helpful in terms of suggestions.
  • eskimite
    Options
    I'd recommend you not worry about what you can't do in terms of going outside and think about the vast number of exercises you can do just from home! I really LOVE working out indoors. Honestly, I enjoyed working out in the gym and I also enjoyed the years when I was an avid runner and out there nearly each and every day. However, workout DVDs are where I have found my most happy medium. I rotate my collection from time to time and am always thrilled with the new workouts coming out. If getting workout DVDs is an issue, you can find lots of workouts available online for download, sometimes for free (via YouTube) or for a charge. If you're looking for some specific ideas, shoot me a message. Two heads are better than one!

Feel free to "friend" me, as well! Good luck and know that there is a whole world of exercise possibilities for you!
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options

That was a little harsh. She wasn't trying to make excuses for not exercising she was asking for suggestions for home exercise. I'm sure that you must know enough about Saudi Arabia to know that she is very limited in what she is allowed to do. Your post comes off as shes not trying...at least she is reaching out to take the first steps!
  • igora_soma
    Options
    One of my good friends grew up there.. so I understand! You could try to find exercise videos on Hulu (not sure if it works in SA), or you could come up with a routine based on some of Jillian Michaels DVDs, or you could buy some :) mixing aerobic and anaerobic exercises will be effective. Feel free to add me if you'd like any more information! :)