too few calories?

Options
Have any women here not lost weight on a 1200 calorie diet? My scale says about 3-4 lbs since the 1st, but weighed in at the docs yesterday and it showed no weigh loss. She is keepin g track of my progress. Doc seemed to think I need to go up to 1500 calories. I am working out 4-5 times/week and walking on my lunch hour. No change in measurements either. I do eat back my exercise calories sometimes. I am being totally honest with everyone and myself. What gives? The calculator on mfp says form my size and activity level I need to eat 1200/day. Feedback please!

Replies

• cualum1996
    Options
    Your metabolism is too low. 1200 calories for a week is fine but then go up to 1500 to 1600 calories. That will help you raise your metabolism.
  • MrsFusion
    MrsFusion Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes, bump it up! If your exercising that much, your not getting enough calories. I was in the same place and I bumped mine and I'm starting to lose again :)
  • TriciaLB
    Options
    I've heard many times that your body can go into 'starvation mode' if you don't eat enough calories, but I've never experienced it. I always lose weight when I go on a low-calorie diet. (And then gain it back as soon as I up my calories even a little bit). Are you sure your calorie count is correct? Do you weigh and measure everything? That's the only way I can keep myself in check. If I try to eyeball it, I end up eating a lot more than I think. Has your doctor given you specific guidelines for what you should be eating? It might be helpful to talk to a nutritionist.
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yea, I think eating all your exercise calories would help a lot! I'm on the same boat as you...
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day ... never eat back my exercise calories ... go to the gym everyday for about 2 hours ... and consistantly lose over 3 lbs a week for months!

Find what works for your body! Everyone on here said I would put my body into starvation mode by not eating back my exercise calories, and I wouldn't lose weight! I lose every week ... and more then the 2 lbs I've asked for. This is what works for my body!
  • blottig
    blottig Posts: 16
    Options
    I have had the same thing happen. When I restrict my calories too much, especially if I am exercising alot, I tend to hold on to my weight more. My body just panics and goes into survival mode. I would try playing with your calorie intake and go up to 1500 like your doctor suggested. It seems counterintuitive, but it has worked for me. Also, maybe you need to adjust your set activity level on MFP? 1200 cal/day seems kind of low - I am about the same weight as you & I have 1450 or so as my daily goal. Good luck to you!
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I am quite a bit heavier than you, but I had a similar issue. I had mine set at 1790 for a while and after a couple months stopped losing weight. I ate under my calories as much as possible, I probably averaged only 1500-1600, yet I spent an entire month at the same weight. I read up a bit on metabolism and I found something that made a lot of sense in a sea of weight-related nonsense- the concept of calorie cycling. Basically the idea is you keep your weekly calorie total the same but vary the amount you eat every day. The high days are intended to keep your body thinking it's not being deprived so your metabolism stays high, but they are balanced out by low days. Now my "general" goal is 1800 per day but the way I eat it is 2000 two days a week, 1600 two days a week, and 1800 three days a week. I'm actually eating quite a bit more than I was before, because I REALLY eat the number of calories I'm supposed to (not trying to go under anymore), and I'm losing much more weight. I've lost five pounds in the last month since I started doing this. The way I calculated it was I set my high day at around my maintenance calories, and subtracted 200 for my medium days and 400 for my low days. It's harder to keep track of something like this, but I think it's easier to maintain. I know if I want to go out to dinner or something I can just plan it for one of my high days. I am in this for the long haul, and I know I have to prevent myself from feeling deprived or getting burned out, and this really helps with that.

Losing weight is counter to everything your body thinks is healthy. We have evolved to survive periods of low nutrition, and we're VERY good at it! It's only recently that this has become more of a negative than a positive, and our bodies have not caught up yet. Eating too low calories triggers that survival mechanism, and it prevents any further weight loss. 1200 calories a day is pretty low, so it's certainly a possibility that this is what's going on with you.
  • smitten312
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! I will try to up my calories and see if that works. I'm not going to give up! I love mfp for all of the support and motivation! Thanks everyone who replied!
  • alohacariiann
    alohacariiann Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    5'4 33 yr old woman SW166. I've seen a physician, dietitian, and personal trainer. In depth analysis on my BMR and body composition were done. I was placed on a diet of between 1000-1200 calories a day 40% Carbs 30% Fat 30% Protien. I've tried extreme low carb diets before and felt very sick. Also I would never have put myself on so few calories a day thinking it is unhealthy. This balance makes me feel better than I have felt for years. I have more energy, no cravings, and am sleeping so much better. When asking why my calorie recommendation is so low it was explained that it in is large part due to my bodyfat being so high (39%). The medical professionals guiding me said that they will raise my calories gradually to "feed my muscles" as my lean body mass increases. I was also told not to focus on weight initially because my weight will likely go up or stay the same for a while as my body composition changes. Sure enough they are right in 3 weeks only 3lbs lost but 3" lost on both waist and hips.

If possible medical guidance could help understand your unique needs.

Aloha!