homemade salsa

Options
i found that i ran out of salsa.. i collected out of the fridge and this is what i came up with

made my own tortilla chips with a soft wrap cut up -- La Tortilla Factory brand /multi grain made with extra virgin olive oil only 100 calories , 12g fibre ,3.5 g of fat,9g protein and only 18g carbs ....baked at 400 using spray pam

salsa is finely chopped tomatos , garlic,chopped onion, italian seasoning, black beans, corn , minced fresh spinach leaves , franks hot sauce

to add protein i chopped up chicken and mixed it in..omg its soooooo good!!!

Replies

• shoeluver67
    shoeluver67 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    MMMMM that sounds good!!! especially with the beans and corn!! i like it and gotta try that.

Here's my Recipe:

1 large can of diced or crushed tomatoes
    1 Can of El Pato tomato sauce (in the Hispanic food section of the grocery store)
    1 Can regular tomato sauce
    1 or 2 Jalapenos (depending on how hot you want it...the El Pato already has a good kick, but i live in So Cal and would eat Mexican food every day if i could, so i LOVE hot salsa)

Put all of that in a blender and blend away. then add....

1 or 2 cut up tomatoes (depending on how chunky you like it, i like mine a little more saucey as opposed to Pico De Gallo-ish, so sometimes i don't add any extra tomatoes at all)
    3-4 stalks of chopped up green onion including the white part (you can add regular onion instead if you want)
    Garlic Salt
    Black Pepper
    Cilantro to taste (i put in a lot because i loooooove it so)
    Lime juice (lots of it...this too is to taste, i put in prob close to 3-4 tbsp. )

This salsa is best after it sits a couple days, but it usually doesn't last long in our house once i make a batch. You HAVE to taste it quite a bit as you are making it...especially when it comes to adding the Garlic Salt, Black Pepper and Lime juice. Trust me, you will KNOW when it's right! YUMMMY!
  • juliet1178
    juliet1178 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do mine with diced tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, jalapenos, and fresh green chile. You can use the canned if you have to:sad: I :heart: green chile in all things Mexican.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy. I LOVE homemade salsa with slow cooked pinto and/or black beans. My boyfriend from mexico makes his salsa every now and then and I LOVE it. I can eat a full cup or two of it with beans alone! Here's how he makes it:

-Tomatoes
    -Yellow or white onions
    -Fresh jalapenos
    -Cilantro (minced)
    -Salt

Directions:

-CHAR the tomatoes, onions and jalapenos on the hibatchi/grill until all sides are charred - this is key! This is what makes the delicious flavor!
    -Blend all ingredients in blender until the desired consistency - I like mine chunky, but sometimes I like it thinner.
    -Pour into bowl, then add minced fresh cilantro and salt (to your taste) and mix. Voila! Delicious homemade salsa! LOVE IT!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    niiice..they all sound good.im a salsa freak.. anything with tomatos and ive realized i havent eaten enough tomatos lately..which was probably why my body has been craving them.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy. I LOVE homemade salsa with slow cooked pinto and/or black beans. My boyfriend from mexico makes his salsa every now and then and I LOVE it. I can eat a full cup or two of it with beans alone! Here's how he makes it:

-Tomatoes
    -Yellow or white onions
    -Fresh jalapenos
    -Cilantro (minced)
    -Salt

Directions:

-CHAR the tomatoes, onions and jalapenos on the hibatchi/grill until all sides are charred - this is key! This is what makes the delicious flavor!
    -Blend all ingredients in blender until the desired consistency - I like mine chunky, but sometimes I like it thinner.
    -Pour into bowl, then add minced fresh cilantro and salt (to your taste) and mix. Voila! Delicious homemade salsa! LOVE IT!

I'm not Mexican, but this is how I make my salsa as well, minus the charring. I also add lime juice. I will definately try the charring next time, sounds delish!
  • Venus2011
    Options
    bump