Heart Rate Monitors

Options
What kind of Heart Rate Monitor do you use? I want to get one this weekend but I'm having the hardest time deciding which one to get. It seems the Polar brand is pretty popular?

Let me know what you use and what you like about it! Thanks. :)

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. The FT7 and FT4 are both popular models.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, and it's FANTASTIC!
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Hi, I use a Polar F7 with a chest strap & I love it! If I'm not mistaken, they aren't made anymore but did replace it. You can search it if you like. I checked out reviews before purchasing mine. I suggest you get one with a chest strap for a constant heart rate.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I just got the Garmin FR60 bundle. It came with the watch, the chest strap, a footpod (to track running), and a usb stick so it can interface with the computer. It's really simple to use, and it tracks and stores everything on the computer. The chest strap is really comfortable and it stays in place really well (I used it for zumba and it stayed in place even with all the twsiting and stuff).
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am also interested in one and not sure what to get. I need something that'll give me calories burned, etc. but simplicity is key for me. Thanks for asking the question!
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've been reading a bunch of reviews online, too. I want something that won't break immediately, but I don't need anything fancy - just my BPM! All these bells and whistles overwhelm me.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get one with a chest strap, the first one I had didn't have one and I took it back because it was a big pain
  • lawson305
    lawson305 Posts: 103
    Options
    i use the polar ft80 (ideal for weight training); just bought the polar ft40 about 2 seconds ago for a gift :heart:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've used both a Polar FT7/FT60 and they are both awesome monitors.

Easy to use and set up, plus they are pretty accurate.

FT60 has a lot more bells and whistles then the Ft4/Ft7, so it depends on what you want to do really.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with the Polar FT7. The downside to this model, in my opinion, is that it doesn't let you tweak your metabolic settings (like V02Max), which have a significant impact on the estimate calories burned during exercise. If this is important to you, then go for a more advanced model like the Polar FT40 or FT60.

Don't go uber-budget when it comes to HRMs. It's tempting to buy cheap, but then your estimates will be crap and can throw off your weight-loss plan. Polar is a reliably accurate (for the most part) brand.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex. It works fine and I have had no issues . I have had it since June 2011.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I was thinking the same questions. Thanks for your help.
  • geraldm55
    geraldm55 Posts: 130
    Options
    in my brief research on them I was told that the biggest difference in them is the more you pay for them the more extras you can get for them. I only wanted one for my heart rate and calories and don't care if it interfaces with my computer so I bought a timex and it works great for me and it was fairly inexpensive.
  • kattygirl0499
    kattygirl0499 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So for those of you with the timex - I just got the zone trainer - I'm finding it is showing a MUCH higher calorie burn than my Nike+. I walked for 30 mins last night - 4mph. Nike+ showed a 280 or so but the HRM showed 440. It seems like a huge difference to me, so I'm a little afraid to trust it.

I did use the submax tests to establish max heart rate - but still. Just wondering if you saw significant differences as well. Got some great feedback from a guy on another thread yesterday who really knows HRM's, so I think I'm OK and I understand what I'm seeing - but was wondering if you had the same experience.
  • O2Bslimagain
    O2Bslimagain Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex. It works fine and I have had no issues . I have had it since June 2011.
    Dan, does the Timex have the chest strap?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Dan, does the Timex have the chest strap?

Timex's for females are a crap shoot because most assume you are a male and thus give the calorie count of one.

I had one once and it told me I burned 580 calories walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes... do that same exercise with a Polar FT60 and I burn 200-280... Significantly less.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy one.
  • AmyLeighWarren
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT4 in Pink. LOVE IT!
    It does everything i need it to and i can use it in the pool.
  • amfeierabend74
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it. So easy to use. Watch for deals on Amazon! Thats where I got mine
  • ttulio
    ttulio Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Polar FT-80 for a couple of months. It works great and I love the fact that I can upload the results to my computer and track my progress, especially my peak and average heart rates during workouts. The biggest downside to it is that it doesn't give you any warning when the batteries need to be replaced, so you need to keep a couple on hand.
  • kattygirl0499
    kattygirl0499 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That's exactly my problem!!! It's crazy. The timex is saying I'm burning 2x the cals anything else is. I've checked all the reviews and no one mentioned anything like that.