depression

Options
Hello all,

Has anyone ever suffered depression and if so how long did it last and how did you come through?

Going through a hard time at the moment, feel im over the worst of it, rock bottom for me was day after xmas, but today has been a bad day and could do with a bit of support I suppose. Would love to hear about other peoples experiences coping in depression, but fully respect if its personal.

Replies

• CatTutt
    CatTutt Posts: 11
    Options
    I have dealt with a lot of depression in my life. It was very hard to care enough to do anything to take care of myself when I was having a bad day. That was a big part of the reason I got as big as I am. Food was comfort, when nothing else was comforting.

Unfortunately, I don't have any good advice for you because I ended up on medication. But I do understand what a struggle it is to try to get healthy when you're feeling so bad inside.

If you want to talk, feel free to add me. :-)
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. Long time ago, actually, and I'm not sure how long it lasted before I finally talked to my doc and got an antidepressant. Which worked wonders for me; I took it for a year and then stopped it, with my doc's okay. Have had some winter depression since then off and on, for which I've tried meds and light therapy. They work equally well for me.

That said, there's two flavors of depression: unipolar (just depressive episodes) and bipolar (depression AND mania/hypomania both occur, sometimes together). Bipolar depressive phases are usually worse, and harder to treat. They are less likely to respond to medications. But the average depressive episode (either type) lasts for several months, up to a year.

Effective ways to help combat depression:

1. Get off your butt and do stuff, whether you feel like it or not. Exercise, spend time with people you enjoy, do stuff that usually makes you feel better, even if it doesn't actually work that day.

2. Positive self-talk. Actively stop negative self-talk and make the effort to skew positive. (Cognitive behavioral therapy techniques, basically.) Meditation can also help; learning how to be mindful, in the moment, and nonjudgmental is great for a lot of emotional issues.

3. Take good care of your body. Eat right, exercise, shower and get dressed every day, that sort of thing.

4. LIGHT, especially in the winter. (Do you have winter depression? The shortest day of the year is just before Christmas, which is why I ask.) Light therapy is really very effective, and the average light box costs around $100-$200. I've got one and it's staved off winter depression for me, several years in a row. Less side effects than meds. ;) Gotta use it for at least 20 minutes a day, within an hour of when you intend to be up each day, for it to be most effective. And do not actually look directly at the light. The light needs to hit the rod cells in your retina, which are on the periphery.

5. Medications. There are a variety of antidepressants, each with its own unique characteristics, and it's clear that some work better than others for specific people. Even within the same class. (This is partly about genetics and how your liver handles meds.) For the folks with bipolar disorder, mood stabilizers seem to be more effective than antidepressants, and even then, all mood stabilizers are not created equal. Sometimes a small boost to the thyroid, or augmentation with a mood stabilizer, helps a partial response become a better response. (A side note to the above poster: taking meds does not represent a failure on your part. The reality is that the brain of a depressed person WORKS DIFFERENTLY than the brain of a nondepressed person. Sometimes meds are needed so that you can get the energy, and sleep, and motivation to do the other things.)

6. Support groups. Check NAMI's site (amazing organization) for some ideas of where to go. It helps to know you are not alone, even when you feel that way.

In general, all of the above, together, are more effective than any of them alone for moderate to severe depression.

Good luck to you. I've seen some of your posts at other times (in December, I think) and I know you're already doing a lot of these things. Kudos for the courage to post this.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I've suffered off and on for almost 20 years, right now it's on. I try and get out everyday, get some fresh air. I also have had to go on meds over the years, right now I'm doing it med free. Working out helps a ton, at least thats what my dr says, I just started so I hope she is right.
    Talk to someone, anyone you trust. I hope you feel better soon. (((Hugs)))
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Many on here probably have not "discovered" the actual cause of the obesity issue. You have taken a huge step~~~yes, depression of various levels is the bottom line of obesity. You're well on the road to recovery and taking control of becoming heart healthy. You will succeed, because you're a winner! :)
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Shrinkrapt has some good points. I've struggled with anxiety and depression for years. As terrible as you feel some days, you just have to make yourself get up and do stuff. It'll always make your day end better.

I've tried quite a few of the different meds for it, however I think counseling has been the most help. Just talking about the crappy feelings can make you feel better.

Best of luck, add me if you need someone to talk to.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I suffer from chronic depression and anxiety. I am working with therapy, but I also am taking anti-depressant medication, which can be a bummer because it can contribute to weight gain (it was by no means the main cause of mine). I find my current combination of Lexapro in the evening and Wellbutrin in the morning seems to be weight neutral.

If this continues I'd recommend both consulting a doctor and a counselor.

Good luck to you!
  • hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have had problems with it most of my life, I have only had 2 or 3 really bad lows. One of them started right before last semester, and lasted until winter break was over. I have been working out a lot, taking St. John's Wort, and praying. It's not easy and there are many people out there that understand, reach out for help whenever you need it- talk to people that will listen.
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have not suffered from depression myself but my dad, my brother in law and a best friend all had it severely. A number of bits of advice:-

1. talk to people about it, how you feel, don't bottle it up and don't feel stigmatised by it.
    2. Exercise, endorphins released actually help.
    3. Take every day as it comes, just because today was bad does not mean tomorrow will be too.
    4. Be positive in thought,think about the good things in your life now and in the past.
    5. I was listening to Ruby Wax a depression sufferer today on the radio and she said there was a particular piece of music that always made her smile however low she felt, identify these triggers and use them.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    wow thankyou for the responses so far,

I will send some friends requests out shortly, so thank you for the advice,

Im on anti-depressants, after 3 years on them, I stopped them in october, and started taking them again around new year, so there starting to kick in. I know there working as I dont feel the need to cry all the time anymore. I just keep getting anxious feeling all the time. But I dont fear panic attacks anymore, so they dont happen, but just the feelings of being anxious.

I have tried to give myself the best fighting chance of cracking this. I force myself to go the gym everyday, and go outside for walks, eat healthy within reason. Because I quit my job in november I get quite lonely in the day. so I have an appointment with a homeless charity to discuss about me doing some voluteering work for them to keep me busy. Im lucky that I dont have to worry about money to enable me to do this. but some times no matter about the above I find each day so hard. How is this right at 25 yrs old. I feel like im missing out in the world.
  • playdohpoet17
    Options
    For a large part of my battle, food was my comfort. 2 years ago I finally sought out therapy and medication. Personally, the meds made me feel miserable, but I worked with a therapist for almost 5 months and learned some effective personal tools, and it gave me an outlet without receiving awkward pity or judgement (I love my friends and family, but people who haven't been through it sometimes have a hard time responding to it - and by no means on purpose).

I find that exercising helps (I also have high anxiety, and this really helps me with both). Redirecting your thoughts, as silly as it may seem at first, really helps. Whenever you do something mundane that you do regularly (grabbing a glass of water, putting on your clothes, anything like that), attach a positive thought. Whenever you start really feeling low, try to redirect your thoughts to something positive, or even something else completely. It can be hard, but can be effective with practice.

Best of luck to you. It's a tough journey, but make sure you stick with it. Good luck on your volunteering as well, that can do a world of wonder for lifting your mood.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have been treated for depression since I was 17. I am now 34.
    It seems I might be bipolar II but the depression I have had have been very nasty.
    Try to be active even if it's a short walk.
    Keep in touch with people.
    eat right.
    Get sleep at the right times.
    Use friends.
    Avoid alcohol if you can.

This is very short and sweet but please take care.
    I hope you get some support from this site.
    Amanda
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    There is lots of good advice there, but be aware that unless you have been through it yourself, you can never really understand the black cloud, and how hard it is to feel that there is ever a way out. I am fortunate that I have not yet been there, but have friends who have, and apart from being there for them, and supporting them, there is very little I can say or do that will help, and I have seen other mutual friends actually not help by telling them to "snap out of it". You WILL get through each episode, and as it is often chemically based, pills can help - so seek medical help. Good luck!
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Cognitive Behavioural therapy (CBT) is particularly good for combined depression and anxiety. Here is a link to some good self help courses: http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/consumers.cfm

I hope you feel better soon :smile:

PS I've just seen that you live in the Midlands. CBT is now available through the NHS in primary care (via your GP).
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I just got really pissed off and used that to fuel a change.. not sure what the trigger was or why it happened when it did.. maybe acceptance? Or just the fight in me to get back to the days of old where things were better.

Anyways, here's my story.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/445541-depression-this-is-my-story-and-this-is-why-i-am-here

Best of luck to you.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I tried meds.. I hated them. I'm focusing on a strict diet and vitamins.. gotta have the factory healthy first and hopefully everything will follow suit.
  • harlylena
    harlylena Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    How cool of you to pursue volunteering for the shelter. All great advice here. I went through a bout of depression that required antidepressants when I was 29 (I'm 44 now). Hated them...kept me in a fog for the five months I was on them before getting pregnant and having to quit. When my doc said I would have to stay on them forever since I would always suffer from depression I 'got mad' and decided to do all I could to avoid the meds. Whenever I felt a downward slide I would find something new I wanted to learn. In '04 I took a motorcycle class and whenever I felt 'it' creeping up I hit the road and it's been the best medicine for me. When I quit my job as a construction project manager three years ago I discovered meditation and painting. So I guess the thing that helped me is discovering new things to do that reignites a spark. And don't worry about being 25 and missing out. You can start from here. Feel free to add me or email me if you need to talk.
  • LaVieEnRaw
    Options
    A few months ago I was dealing with very aggressive symptoms of Bipolar disorder. I was, for lack of better words, psychotic. I was also suicidally depressed for reasons I didn't know. So I got on meds, and they sort of helped but I still had to take benzos daily to control what the meds didn't. But then I totally flipped my diet and exercise routine about a month ago and I haven't so much as felt the tiniest inkling of depression or mania. I still take meds but it's such a small dose that the psychiatrists are surprised that my symptoms are so controlled.

I know how hard it is to change things during depression, cus all you want to do is sleep. But I highly suggest trying a highly plant based diet for 1 week, and see if you don't get hooked on the awesome feeling it gives you. Feel free to shoot me a friend request if you need support!
  • joannaengel
    Options
    wow thankyou for the responses so far,

I will send some friends requests out shortly, so thank you for the advice,

Im on anti-depressants, after 3 years on them, I stopped them in october, and started taking them again around new year, so there starting to kick in. I know there working as I dont feel the need to cry all the time anymore. I just keep getting anxious feeling all the time. But I dont fear panic attacks anymore, so they dont happen, but just the feelings of being anxious.

I have tried to give myself the best fighting chance of cracking this. I force myself to go the gym everyday, and go outside for walks, eat healthy within reason. Because I quit my job in november I get quite lonely in the day. so I have an appointment with a homeless charity to discuss about me doing some voluteering work for them to keep me busy. Im lucky that I dont have to worry about money to enable me to do this. but some times no matter about the above I find each day so hard. How is this right at 25 yrs old. I feel like im missing out in the world.

Did you just up and quit your meds in Oct or did you wean yourself off them? Quickly stopping anti-depressants can have some pretty bad side effects. Either way, glad to hear you're improving, I know how hard depressive episodes can be.