Should I eat the added calories after exercising?

Options
2»

Replies

• thelowcarbrecipes
    thelowcarbrecipes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you do, what is the point of exercise if your goal is to lose weight, you might as well just not exercise and not eat any more.

it is also very hard to judge how many calories your exercise burned.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Unless you are accurately tracking your TDEE using bodymedia etc. I would be careful eating those cals back....
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Since I was working with a dietitian and had a set eating and work out plan, she always told me to eat back those calories. But, eat them back in healthy foods. Eat your colors, greens, reds, yellows, whites, stick with fruits, veggies and such. No junk food. Her advice definitely worked for me.
  • chauser1022
    Options
    My personal trainer told me not to eat them back unless you are doing above and beyond your normal workouts then eat a bit more.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Def.eat.. in fact I'm wishing right now I had more to eat!

All this weight lifting is making me want to eat a horse.. and then some!
    Hell yeah, and lots of protein. Your muscles need fuel or the exercise really wont do anything.
  • mrzpeep1
    mrzpeep1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Your estimated BMR is: 1,698 calories/day
    But my fitness pal has me eating 1,200/day (if I don't work out at all.) and usually my daily exercise consists of walking my dogs to the park & cleaning my house. (at least until I get an appointment with my doctor/dietitian because I have athesma & am in a new climate that seems to really bother it)

So Im not eating my BMR.... this is bad?

Yes. Your BMR is the number of calories your body need a day just to survive at rest. If you do any kind of walking, moving, etc. then your body is using more then your BMR. And you are already at a deficit so not eating them sends you too low.

Eat more calories.

ok so this is confusing. I'm not supposed to eat less that my "1600" BMR but MFP has me set up to eat 1200-1500 so I'm already below my BMR so thats BAD!!! Why would the calculate to eat below your BMR that doesn't sound right at all
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you do, what is the point of exercise if your goal is to lose weight, you might as well just not exercise and not eat any more.

Exercise has nothing to do with weight loss. Weight loss is all about diet. Exercise is for fitness. You can exercise without losing weight, and lose weight without exercise. They are mutually exclusive.

Always eat your exercise calories.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

the point of exercise is to strengthen your body - your heart, your muscles, etc so that when you do lose weight you look better.
    calorie deficit is for weight loss, and you can lose weight just fine with no exericse. it just depends on how you want your body to look at the end of the loss ;p
    if you use a HRM you get a more accurate number for calories burned. if you have a body media fit, or bodybugg youll probably get even more accurate numbers. i almost always ate my exercise calories before i got my HRM - i still lost weight even though i found that mfps numbers were often higher than what i actually burned. i was just losing 1-2 pounds a week instead of 2 every week.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Your estimated BMR is: 1,698 calories/day
    But my fitness pal has me eating 1,200/day (if I don't work out at all.) and usually my daily exercise consists of walking my dogs to the park & cleaning my house. (at least until I get an appointment with my doctor/dietitian because I have athesma & am in a new climate that seems to really bother it)

So Im not eating my BMR.... this is bad?

Yes. Your BMR is the number of calories your body need a day just to survive at rest. If you do any kind of walking, moving, etc. then your body is using more then your BMR. And you are already at a deficit so not eating them sends you too low.

Eat more calories.

ok so this is confusing. I'm not supposed to eat less that my "1600" BMR but MFP has me set up to eat 1200-1500 so I'm already below my BMR so thats BAD!!! Why would the calculate to eat below your BMR that doesn't sound right at all

Your BMR is meaningless when it comes to how much you should eat. All BMR is for is to calculate your total daily energy expenditure. You take your deficit from your TDEE, and, depending on the size of your deficit and how active you are, it may or may not be below your BMR.
  • Melimoo2012
    Melimoo2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i burned 800 cals today so would mean i could eat 2000 but im not that hungry have eaten 1500 im finidng im already eating smaller ortions and i have had loads of water maybe 3 litres