The Problem with skinny bashing

Options
FearAnLoathing
FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
Great article!! http://girliegirlarmy.com/lifestyle/20120120/the-problem-with-skinny-bashing/

Full figured women have long been under assault. They aren’t represented on television, in movies or in print. And if they are, they aren’t the heroine or the love interest. They are the friend. If the media were to be believed, the average woman would be a size 2, white, straight, and carry a $3000 handbag.

The desire to push back against that vision of what society says is the ideal body type is natural. And it should be challenged. Lately, I’ve been seeing images accompanied by text on facebook that seek to elevate the status of women with curves. They look back to the period of Marilyn Monroe to show that thin, or very thin, wasn’t always in. And that’s wonderful. Celebrate healthy bodies of all shapes and sizes. Sing it loud and proud. But, this particular image which I’m linking to because copyright precludes me from posting it, while trying to rage against what society says is beautiful, is truly an example of what is wrong with society. It shows our lack of a way to discuss our bodies without judgment and without competition.

When I look at this image, I see two beautiful women. Marilyn, of course, was the biggest sex symbol of her time and is undoubtedly lovely. But the woman on the right, the woman who this image seems to despise, is not sickly. In fact, if you look at her legs, you’ll find muscle. If you look at her stomach, you won’t see ribs poking out. You’ll see a toned abdomen. It’s true that she’s thin. That she fits the size 2 image of woman that is unfairly represented in media as the only desirable figure. But to say that the woman on the right is less attractive simply to advance another body type? That’s not right either. Demonizing one to glorify another isn’t the way to have a real discussion on the female body. In fact, it’s part of the problem.

The real question is, why must it be one way or the other? Shouldn’t we all be striving for healthy bodies? And that means a different shape for every woman. The media has us all chasing our own tails in the search of the perfect figure. No matter where you look, you’ll find a reason to believe that your body can never reach perfection. The idea that perfection actually exists is the real myth.

It’s obvious that we have an issue with weight in this country. As a teacher, I’ve met ten year old girls without an ounce of fat who are dieting. They hate gaining weight even though they are getting taller and growing up. That’s unhealthy. We also have a nationwide obesity epidemic that’s putting our children at risk for diseases like type 2 diabetes. That’s also unhealthy.

The sad thing is, I’m not seeing this image posted on men’s profiles. I’m seeing it posted by women and commented on by women. They are relishing in the comparison between Marilyn and the woman on the beach. They are loving this moment of hate towards the woman in the bikini. It’s true that women who don’t conform to the narrow vision of beauty seen on TV are ostracized. They are angry for being given less importance and less of a voice in society than size 2’s, and they should be angry. However, why does this anger automatically turn into criticism of the other body type? Shouldn’t we as women be banding together to insist that a larger group of women be represented? Shouldn’t we be taking the fight to the media who is largely responsible for only showing one type of body? One woman, after noting that she’s the same size as Marilyn was, wrote, “So IN YOUR FACE all you haters who think women need to look like stick bugs to be attractive.” Why must this woman verbally assault the size 2’s and call them stick bugs to make a place for the size 12’s? Isn’t there a place for all of us?

What should be attractive? How about healthy bodies. Whether they come in the form of a size 2 or a size 12, a well loved and cared for physique is what we as women should be striving for. By all means, challenge the idea that obtaining runway model size isn’t the only way to be beautiful. Demand that the full range of woman be represented in film and in print. But tearing someone else down to demonstrate your point does a disservice to all women. It’s time to celebrate our differences. To realize that there is no one correct image of beauty. To do away with notions of perfection and instead, enjoy life as healthy confident women. It’s no easy task, but with a little love and self-acceptance, I think we can do it.

Replies

• Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Great article!! http://girliegirlarmy.com/lifestyle/20120120/the-problem-with-skinny-bashing/

Full figured women have long been under assault. They aren’t represented on television, in movies or in print. And if they are, they aren’t the heroine or the love interest. They are the friend. If the media were to be believed, the average woman would be a size 2, white, straight, and carry a $3000 handbag.

The desire to push back against that vision of what society says is the ideal body type is natural. And it should be challenged. Lately, I’ve been seeing images accompanied by text on facebook that seek to elevate the status of women with curves. They look back to the period of Marilyn Monroe to show that thin, or very thin, wasn’t always in. And that’s wonderful. Celebrate healthy bodies of all shapes and sizes. Sing it loud and proud. But, this particular image which I’m linking to because copyright precludes me from posting it, while trying to rage against what society says is beautiful, is truly an example of what is wrong with society. It shows our lack of a way to discuss our bodies without judgment and without competition.

When I look at this image, I see two beautiful women. Marilyn, of course, was the biggest sex symbol of her time and is undoubtedly lovely. But the woman on the right, the woman who this image seems to despise, is not sickly. In fact, if you look at her legs, you’ll find muscle. If you look at her stomach, you won’t see ribs poking out. You’ll see a toned abdomen. It’s true that she’s thin. That she fits the size 2 image of woman that is unfairly represented in media as the only desirable figure. But to say that the woman on the right is less attractive simply to advance another body type? That’s not right either. Demonizing one to glorify another isn’t the way to have a real discussion on the female body. In fact, it’s part of the problem.

The real question is, why must it be one way or the other? Shouldn’t we all be striving for healthy bodies? And that means a different shape for every woman. The media has us all chasing our own tails in the search of the perfect figure. No matter where you look, you’ll find a reason to believe that your body can never reach perfection. The idea that perfection actually exists is the real myth.

It’s obvious that we have an issue with weight in this country. As a teacher, I’ve met ten year old girls without an ounce of fat who are dieting. They hate gaining weight even though they are getting taller and growing up. That’s unhealthy. We also have a nationwide obesity epidemic that’s putting our children at risk for diseases like type 2 diabetes. That’s also unhealthy.

The sad thing is, I’m not seeing this image posted on men’s profiles. I’m seeing it posted by women and commented on by women. They are relishing in the comparison between Marilyn and the woman on the beach. They are loving this moment of hate towards the woman in the bikini. It’s true that women who don’t conform to the narrow vision of beauty seen on TV are ostracized. They are angry for being given less importance and less of a voice in society than size 2’s, and they should be angry. However, why does this anger automatically turn into criticism of the other body type? Shouldn’t we as women be banding together to insist that a larger group of women be represented? Shouldn’t we be taking the fight to the media who is largely responsible for only showing one type of body? One woman, after noting that she’s the same size as Marilyn was, wrote, “So IN YOUR FACE all you haters who think women need to look like stick bugs to be attractive.” Why must this woman verbally assault the size 2’s and call them stick bugs to make a place for the size 12’s? Isn’t there a place for all of us?

What should be attractive? How about healthy bodies. Whether they come in the form of a size 2 or a size 12, a well loved and cared for physique is what we as women should be striving for. By all means, challenge the idea that obtaining runway model size isn’t the only way to be beautiful. Demand that the full range of woman be represented in film and in print. But tearing someone else down to demonstrate your point does a disservice to all women. It’s time to celebrate our differences. To realize that there is no one correct image of beauty. To do away with notions of perfection and instead, enjoy life as healthy confident women. It’s no easy task, but with a little love and self-acceptance, I think we can do it.

You are awesome.
    We come in all different shapes and sizes. :flowerforyou:
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    You beat me to posting it. Lol! :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I freakin' LOVE what you wrote. Thank you for putting what I've been thinking lately, into words.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I really like this. Luckily I live under a rock when it comes to facebook and all these posts about what is beautiful but I get more than my fair share by reading this website. The whole "real" women thing is saddening and just disgusting. I have friends of all shapes and sizes, some are healthy, some are not, but as far as I'm aware, they are all women.

I do believe that we should strive for health. It isn't wrong to say that big is beautiful, or skinny is, but in my mind, a good beating heart and cholesterol levels are beautiful and what people should strive for, no matter what their shape turns out like.

Even so, fat, skinny, muscular, curvy, healthy or on the brink of a heart attack, a woman is a woman is a woman is a REAL woman.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    :love:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I freakin' LOVE what you wrote. Thank you for putting what I've been thinking lately, into words.

I didnt write it but I didnt want to just paste the link since their site seems to running very very slow
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    We can analyze it all we want, but its all about proportions. If Marilyn Monroe carried the weight in her stomach, we wouldn't know who she was.
  • TiffyC828
    TiffyC828 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Loved this article..thanks for sharing!
  • angijunbug
    Options
    That is awesome & true! I wish that more women no matter what shape & size could unite & encourage each other instead of being jealous & bash each other. That is why I like it here at MFP. Jealousy is just a wasted emotion in my book. Be happy for each other. Encourage each other to be healthy, fit, & strong! :wink: Thanks for your post!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

I didnt write it but I didnt want to just paste the link since their site seems to running very very slow

Sorry about that, I realized that as soon as I clicked the link :)

So...thanks for posting it! It was still really good to read!
  • littlebeans
    littlebeans Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Loved this. So right on!
  • Goofy076
    Goofy076 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    great article :heart: thank you for sharing
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Amen. I especially agree with you on your point that it's women who are tearing down other women! So sad.

I think any time an image is presented as what a woman "must" be, it is damaging. Rather than criticizing a woman as she is, no matter what size, how about we get vocal with the magazine and billboard companies that use photoshop to turn beautiful women into altered, impossible, unachievable images?!

I will never forget a clip I saw several years ago in which a photo editor was erasing(!) the inside of Cindy Crawford's thighs for a Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue. So all these impressionable, insecure women and girls look at photos and feel less-than-worthy, when in fact, the very model they're killing themselves to look like doesn't even look like her own photo!
  • lilieslosinit
    lilieslosinit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Very well said! Love this :)
  • Kelwalks4
    Kelwalks4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am not sure which picture you are referring to, but I have seen one with Marilyn, and some sex symbols from her era above a picture of some young thin models. Besides weight, there is another difference. Age. Maybe part of the problem is that we have let the media sexualize the teenage form. Our obsession with youth ties into our obsession with thin, even underdeveloped bodies.
  • michelle225
    michelle225 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    We can analyze it all we want, but its all about proportions. If Marilyn Monroe carried the weight in her stomach, we wouldn't know who she was.

True! Also, I generally get annoyed when people quote the whole "Marilyn was a size 12" thing. Marilyn was a size 12 in the 50s and 60s. Anyone who's shopped at vintage clothing stores knows that vintage sizes are about 6 sizes larger than today's sizes so if you wear a size 6 today, you would wear a size 12 in vintage stores. So while it's technically true that Marilyn was a size 12, if she were alive today she would be wearing a 6.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    Love it! Thanks for sharing :)
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh… a voice of sanity and reason! Beauty comes in many shapes and sizes and colors. And, for the most part, if you work at being HEALTHY, it seems to follow that you will become a beautiful you, as well! Whatever "size" that is.