Cleaning? Exercise?

Options
123457»

Replies

• becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    What does anyone else care about whan anybody else does? Really, for a group of adults, the behavior on here gets quite juvenille. If a person logs cleaning as exercise, he or she probably have a good reason and doesn't have to justify it to the fitness brigade. BTW, not all people who log cleaning are lazy and looking for a way to get back extra calories. Judging others because you don't do it is just plain childish.
  • melissammundy
    Options
    What does anyone else care about whan anybody else does? Really, for a group of adults, the behavior on here gets quite juvenille. If a person logs cleaning as exercise, he or she probably have a good reason and doesn't have to justify it to the fitness brigade. BTW, not all people who log cleaning are lazy and looking for a way to get back extra calories. Judging others because you don't do it is just plain childish.

Agreed! 100%

I don't count cleaning as exercise but to each their own. I don't care about what the next person counts as exercise. Especially if they are losing weight.

It seems like that's all MFP forums are about lately, the same people being judgmental & posting snarky comments.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I do because while I do light cleaning daily, there are things that I do heavily, and I break a sweat and there's a lot of moving involved. For instance today I had to shovel some snow. It's not a daily activity. It's not part of my daily lifestyle. It got my heart pumping, got me sweating, and I was moving. So you bet your *kitten* I logged it (and no, it was not so I could "get extra calories")
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    I don't because when I set up my account I set my activity level as moderately active. Cleaning is part of that moderately active status.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's cheating to count cleaning/housework =\
    It's what some people do who don't want to get out and do real exercise.

Oh yeah? So you're telling me that even though I did 30 minutes of "real" exercise today (cardio), and then went out and shoveled snow for 20 minutes, even though I have no real intention to eat back those calories, I shouldn't have logged it and I was just logging it because I'm too lazy to do "real" exercise? Some people are too heavy to do what some would consider "real" exercise. Perhaps you're just in such great shape that you don't ever burn calories when doing things like shoveling snow, but for people like me who actually break a sweat, bet your *kitten* I'm logging it. That doesn't make me lazy. It doesn't make me a fat *kitten* trying to eat all the calories I can. It means that I'm proud that I got off my *kitten* and did something that made me break a sweat in the middle of a snowstorm, and that's all that really matters for those of us that choose to log it. Who are you to say that's what people do who want to avoid "real exercise"?
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    I feel like it's cheating to count cleaning/housework =\
    It's what some people do who don't want to get out and do real exercise.

Oh yeah? So you're telling me that even though I did 30 minutes of "real" exercise today (cardio), and then went out and shoveled snow for 20 minutes, even though I have no real intention to eat back those calories, I shouldn't have logged it and I was just logging it because I'm too lazy to do "real" exercise? Some people are too heavy to do what some would consider "real" exercise. Perhaps you're just in such great shape that you don't ever burn calories when doing things like shoveling snow, but for people like me who actually break a sweat, bet your *kitten* I'm logging it. That doesn't make me lazy. It doesn't make me a fat *kitten* trying to eat all the calories I can. It means that I'm proud that I got off my *kitten* and did something that made me break a sweat in the middle of a snowstorm, and that's all that really matters for those of us that choose to log it. Who are you to say that's what people do who want to avoid "real exercise"?

Brava!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    Next people are going to start saying that going for walks, dancing, and playing wii fit are not "real" exercise either. Check out a few of these links and see what daily activities can burn calories:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/233668-calories-burned-by-normal-daily-activities/ --notable exerpt: "Engaging in light housework for about an hour expends, on average, 165 calories if you weigh 125 lbs. and 244 if you weigh 185 lbs"

Perhaps the people at Harvard may convince you? http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm

Or my absolute personal favorite: http://www.womansday.com/sex-relationships/sex-tips/8-sexy-ways-to-burn-calories-110923 Did you know that making out burns 238 calories per half-hour?

Maybe those of us doing housework, playing with our kids, and engaging in "adult activity" have it figured out. We are enjoying our lives and families while on this road to fitness. Ever think about that?
  • mrskesler
    mrskesler Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!! When you make your profile it asks about your lifestyle! If you clean everyday it should already be added toward your calories. Sorry but this is a pet peeve of mine! I feel like people are just trying to get extra calories or something. * This is my opinion.*

This is my opinion too.

Me too
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Next people are going to start saying that going for walks, dancing, and playing wii fit are not "real" exercise either. Check out a few of these links and see what daily activities can burn calories:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/233668-calories-burned-by-normal-daily-activities/ --notable exerpt: "Engaging in light housework for about an hour expends, on average, 165 calories if you weigh 125 lbs. and 244 if you weigh 185 lbs"

Perhaps the people at Harvard may convince you? http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm

Or my absolute personal favorite: http://www.womansday.com/sex-relationships/sex-tips/8-sexy-ways-to-burn-calories-110923 Did you know that making out burns 238 calories per half-hour?

Maybe those of us doing housework, playing with our kids, and engaging in "adult activity" have it figured out. We are enjoying our lives and families while on this road to fitness. Ever think about that?

Those activities are definitely burning calories! There is no argument there (though I think the 238 calories per half hour for making out is a joke, and womans day is NOT a reliable source of information). We are burning calories doing everything, including sitting on our butts. The question is not are we burning calories, but how many more calories over what has already been factored into our TDEE are we burning when doing those activities? Your TDEE already factors in light walking/cleaning and other sedentary activities (if you are set to sedentary). Anyway, people are free to count whatever they want, it is their weight loss that may be hindered. I personally prefer to err on the side of caution and only log the big stuff (and even then, I worry I might be overestimating).
  • andreacord
    Options
    I count it if I'm doing it for long periods of time, like I logged it when I was moving into residence at college because it was a lot of walking and lifting. I count even if I'm grocery shopping and walking the aisles for long periods of time, which I tend to do.
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    For me if it's out of the ordinary day it's light exercise= unless you're out of breath and sweaty afterwards. I have classed mylife style as a sedentiary one. I work in a call centre, I drive to it, I then sit around on my butt when I get home. That is, unless, unless I do "real exercise."

To me "real exercise" is my dance classes, my fencing, my running and my weight training.

When I clean the house on a Saturday from top to bottom (hovering dusting, tidying, lifting, washing surfaces, windows and scrubbing) that's still something out of the ordinary as sometimes I don't do it and it's not considered part of my lifestyle so I would consider it as additional exercise.

BUT if you clean everyday then it's part of your lifestyle and I don't think you should count it as you should have already considered it as part of your lifestyle.

However, it's entirely up to you how you personally record it but if you don't want to feel dissappointed at check in then try and consider your lifestyle and be as honest as possible.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Hey, Zoominzozo... did you know that zozo is slang for "penis" in creole?
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    .... I do now :blushing: