Does water really make a difference?

13»

Replies

• datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    theres only 1 word.... yes.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    I find it to help... I drink 9+ cups a day - I keep a 24oz water bottle with me 90% of the time. At work it sits next to my computer monitor and at home next to me where ever I sit. - I drink my first 24oz during my morning workout.

once upon a time I didn't drink water at all - now I am even drinking water with my meals rather than the diet coke/ice tea i used to.
  • Cassi1990
    Cassi1990 Posts: 74 Member
    I don't find it that hard to drink 8 glasses a day and in fact im at 15 right now (cutting it off here so im not up all night running to the bathroom). as long as im up and moving throughout the day, its quite easy. especially if i put a straw in it. i have an oral addiction i guess. love foods or drinks in my mouth. so it stops me from eating something and i also get my water! (:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Yes to water. Important for life. Nothing comes close to being the one necessity as water does.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    ..although I do not drink water during a meal or too much immediately after.. seems to me to dilute the digestive process. Better to consume water well before or well after a meal in my experience.
  • 2BSEXY48
    2BSEXY48 Posts: 7 Member
    I am not on a low carb diet and i have lost ten pounds so far...so i do not think its water weight. In my opinion, the number of calories you consume will make or break your weight loss...but i have been eating healthy calories with a few indulgent treats every now and then and this site is helping me reach my goals...its awesome! I think drinking 4 8oz glasses is plenty of water...its definately more than what most people drink....64oz seems really high....even though its recommended. I like to drink hot green tea occasionally and consider this as a part of my water consumption as well.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,900 Member
    I find it helps for the following:

1. it gets rid of any head aches I may have
    2. If I don't hit that 8 glasses per day I start to see those indentations in my skin the next day till I hydrate.
    3. I feel better energized after I drink some water
    4. I love water
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    I started drinking more waster in the past few weeks and have been losing weight, it seems, more easily. I carry a Camel Bak with me and it makes it a ton easier. I am starting to be a believer!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Yes, water makes a difference. Someone explained to me once that one of the liver's jobs is to metabolize fat. Another of the liver’s duties is to pick up the slack for the kidneys which need plenty of water to work properly. If the kidneys are water-deprived, the liver has to do their work along with turning fat into energy. It then can’t metabolize fat as quickly or effectively. WATER WORKS!
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    I'm like a lot of the people on here and I have no idea if water really makes a difference but I find myself drinking it everyday now that I've cut out the sodas. I haven't had a soda in over a month now, not even a caffeine free one! I personally drink from a Camelback water bottle because it can hold a lot of water. I use my 3 cup one when I'm at the gym and consume it all during my 1 hour workout on the treadmill. And then if my husband has left his at home (it's 4 cups) I drink that with lunch or my afternoon snack. So with just 2 bottles of water I've managed to get in 7 cups of water. I know it's not the full 8 but honestly it's a hell of a lot better than what I used to get, which was only water through my food and sodas.

I also don't like plain water so I buy this bottle of flavor from Mio and it's calorie, fat and sugar free. It's pretty much nothing but straight flavor. It's one squirt per 8 oz of water and you're good to go. I've even gotten in the habit of taking my bottle of water with me when I know we're going to be eating at the food court in the BX here. Not only does it get me the water I need but it also saves me money and extra calories because I don't buy the meal.

The only downside to drinking a lot of water is the frequent trips to the bathroom...

9999430.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • what water does is helps your muscles burn and break dow the fat that's around them when you work out. WATER IS A MUST!! yes. it can get boring and bland, but if you want to burn the fat, water's the way to go! help out those muscles!! :)
  • MirelaH
    MirelaH Posts: 129 Member
    I agree water is a must!! I personally drink 3-4 liters a day and sometimes more. I don't know why but I'm always thirsty! The more I drink, the more I need to keep drinking. You can always build up your water intake gradually, by starting out drinking 1 liter for a week then the following week 1.5 liters and so on until you reach the amount that is healthy for you. I highly suggest getting a liter water bottle. I think, at least for me, it is the easiest way to keep track of how much you drink throughout the day.

Peace & <3
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    I like to get a pitcher add lemon cucumber and a bit of ginger, it seems to make me go more :) I have water with me at all times and carry bottles of water in the car
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    I'm not sure where a lot of people seemed to get the idea I don't like water? I love water, it's my favorite drink. And I definitely agree that we need water, it helps our skin, aids in health, and can help a lot with headaches for sure. But what if you drink water? You just don't drink 8 cups? Sometimes I find that I'm forcing it down, and if I've had water that day, and if my body's telling me not to, I have a feeling there's a reason? There's so many different shapes and sizes with different nutritional intake and activity levels. I have this idea in my head that a short tiny person who doesn't move much and doesn't intake a whole lot of salt won't feel the need to drink so much water for example?

Anyway, I love the taste of water, the tap water here is refreshing. It never crossed my mind to add lemon to it at home but now that so many people have mentioned it it sounds like a delicious idea.

And cucumber?! I never ever ever thought of cucumber! Thanks :P
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    I found an app for my iphone to track water, my problem is I drink water all day, I have 2 cups of coffee each day, and no soda's and an occasional iced tea. This app has you drink 1/2 your weight. I don't really measure but my work container holds 32 oz and my cup at home 28 oz going to try for a week and see if I can log. Do you drink water with ice or without?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    I love ice cubes.
  • martin_chicago
    martin_chicago Posts: 263 Member
    i started a diet on Monday and been drinking more then a gallon of water and doing a lot of insanity, walking/running 4 miles and about 30-60 minutes cardio at gym and in 4 days i have dropped 9 pounds i think water played a big part in that