Looking for feedback on Bariatric Surgery

Options
124»

Replies

• its_sania
    its_sania Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and I actually assist in these gastric surgeries. Usually my patients are having parts of their stomach removed for cancer but occasionally it's for bariatric surgery. There are a few different procedures and as far as I can tell, the band is probably the least effective as I've seen multiple patients come back to get the bands removed because they've slipped out of place or need adjustments. But I guess the band is a good option if you don't want something permanent?? But then I wouldn't see the point of having such drastic surgery for something temporary...

The procedures themselves are fairly minimally invasive, you just have 4 or 5 tiny incisions in the skin and you should be up by the next day. But your eating habits will change significantly!! Of course they will explain this to you before you have the surgery but you'll be getting fed by a tube through your nose for a while post operatively because the staple line in your stomach needs time to heal. Then its a slow process of going from a liquid diet to soft foods to eventually solids and strict portion control. It is definitely a last resort and works fantastically for those with the motivation to go through this drastic change. I applaud those of you who have been through it and succeeded!!

For anyone really wanting to have one of these procedures, I recommend a lot of thought be put into it, and some counselling. The risks of having an anaesthetic for an obese person, let alone the implications of the surgery itself, is enough to cause concern and it's probably something a lot of people don't think about. It is incredibly difficult to intubate an obese person with a large neck and a lot of upper body weight compressing their lungs. And if you're a smoker or have any other cardiac or other medical issues the risks increase! I've seen the look of absolute devastation in a patient's eyes who woke up from their anaesthetic thinking the surgery was a success, only to be told we had to abandon the procedure because a complication made it unsafe to proceed. This surgery is not an easy fix to your weight issues, and people need to be aware of that. But of course, if you have a good doctor, they will explain this all and provide you with all the information and support you need to make an informed decision about whether surgery is right for you.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your weight loss so far! I am getting ready for bariatric surgery. My BMI is 42 and I'm about 100 pounds overweight. I have to say I think it's hilarious that people have ASKED if you've tried it the old-fashioned way!!! Of course you have, can't imagine anyone on here who hasn't...

I have lost 55 pounds on Jenny Craig, then regained... then 80 on WW, kept it off for three years, then regained... I am at my highest weight - or at least I was before I started tracking my food on MFP. I have been through a 4-session group about binge eating to help improve my habits. Bottom line - I am getting a gastric bypass because data has demonstrated that it is a powerful tool to lose weight and improve health (such as potentially eliminating sleep apnea, GERD, alleviating arthritis pain...). The data shows that 80% of people who get gastric bypass keep the weight off for 10 years, compared to -- read this part now -- 3 to 5% of people who lose weight with diet and exercise alone.

In the end, you have to make your own decision, but know that WLS is just a TOOL. If you are not fully committed to lifestyle change, including moving more, eating less, eating healthy foods, you won't keep it off no matter HOW you lose it.

I am going thru the authorization process for the Adjustable Gastric Banding process. I have talked with many of my friends about this. I am attending sessions with my Bariatric Surgery Center. I have tried the 'old fashioned ' way too many times in the last 40 yrs (was put on a diet at 12 by family and doctors) I can lose but hunger and old ways put it back on. Yes - alot of being overweight can be attributed to mind games -BUT AGB is not a cure - but a tool. I agree it is not for everyone. I do agree with you with your reply. It is for you to make that decision. :)
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Wow - I am so looking forward to being able to post that weight loss! I am in the process of having the AGB done. I have been learning so much... Good Job.
  • hollyinPR
    hollyinPR Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've had a lot of responses and I haven't had time to read through them all, but thought I'd give you our experience. My husband had Roux-en-Y procedure over 10 years ago. He quickly lost nearly 300 pounds and got down to very near his goal weight. In that sense, the procedure worked very well. However since he hadn't permanently changed his eating habits, his weight went back up and has recently settled in low 300's. He is now in an exercise and Clean Eating program with me to work on getting back down to his goal weight.

I was very close to doing the surgery myself about a year ago. I went to a seminar about it at our local hospital and made some initial appointments to start getting medical work done towards it. But I soon that our insurance wouldn't cover it, no matter what. We certainly didn't have the kind of money to pay for it outright. So I put the idea out of my head. Looking back I think it is a blessing in disguise that I couldn't get it done then.

My husband has had significant side effects from his surgery. He still has trouble with keeping food down if he eats too fast, eats too much or eats the wrong kind of food. He throws up regularly because of it. He does have nutritional deficiencies that he has to make up for by monthly injections or multiple supplements. The biggest side effect has been the multiple hernias that he has had. During his last surgery to repair hernias (his 3rd hernia surgery since he first had the procedure done), he had complications during surgery and later during his hospital stay he developed blood clots in his lungs. He had to go on blood thinners for 6 months afterwards AND contracted MRSA (medically resistant staph infection) which stayed with him for over 2 years and recurred many times causing two more hospital stays.

I have 120...scratch that, 108 pounds to lose, so I understand how intimidating losing a significant amount of weight is. I also know that even though a Gastric or Lapband procedure will help the weight come off quickly, it will only stay off and side effects will only remain at a minimum if the person COMPLETELY changes their lifestyle to involve ONLY healthy eating and regular exercise. In order to be successful at weight loss with or without Gastric Surgery, you need to eat healthy and exercise. So for me, if I'm going to have to be disciplined anyway, I may as well start now and get the weight off without surgery. After watching what my husband has gone through, I would MUCH rather drop the weight without the surgery.

(Granted, even at a weight in the low 300's, his health is much better than it was 10 years ago when he weighed a couple hundred more than he does now, so I definitely see the benefit of surgery. If you decide to go into it, make sure you do so well aware of all the risks, big or small, and of the work that you will have to do to make it permanently successful.).

Best of luck to you!
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    As per your ticker you've lost over 50 lbs! that's fantastic and clearly you're doing something right - Maybe give yoursef a time frame. keep doing what you're doing- if you havent lost more then look at your options.

I have been approved to have bariatric surgery too - supposed to be in july. I've been struglling with the decision as well - I've decided that until that day - I am going to fight by butt off - I have a lot to lose - over 125 lbs - but I'm feeling better every day with my food and exercise choices. Im not perfect but I'm working hard at saying under the calorie goal that MFP has set for me. I am not eating my calories back from exercise. it's going to be a slow process - but it's taken me 35 years to get like this. I'm hoping that i can reverse some of the damage I've done. Im not going to say I cant do this right now - because with this site, and all these awsome people - and my super supportive family - I will succeed.

I dont see the surgery as a cop-out or anything - i'm just using that as my "holy crap" moment and hopefully this time that will be my kick in the pants.

what ever you decide stick to it and make the best choices for you - make the change and get healthy! YOU CAN DO IT TOO
  • oleroadslug
    oleroadslug Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good evening folks. First post. However, I am a 5 year vet of RNY gastric bypass. Done at a center of Excellence. I've lost 247 post op lbs, and kept if off. I started with a BMI of 72. I am now at 31....still critical obesity, but we're working on that. Saved my life. Had toxic complications via another hospial when they took my gallbladder out. Back to my bariatric center, and 14 days later in the hospital, the lead trauma director pronounced I was alive. He was my Bariatric surgeon.

I would, and many of my cohorts would do it again in a heartbeat. I am now looking at this year looking at a panni to get all of the excess skin. But these are key;

Protien first every meal. 60-80 plus gms a protien a day. Our body doesn't make it.

A gal of h20 a day.

half hour of exercise-cardio 3x a week

Take all of your vitamins and meds

See you Dr. reg. to face facts, to work on your new livestyle.

Scarey, yes,,,, But I have no diabeties anymore...no insulin,...no cpap machine... no walker

no Rx for 11 different meds....much more pos...

yes the psycoh is impotant.

Holler, with questions.

RJS