Observations on using my new heart rate monitor

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
I ordered a heart rate monitor on the recemmendation of some other posters here (I got this one http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=211107597 )

I used it for the first time today...it was pretty easy to set up, and wasn't uncomfortable when wearing the chest strap. I thought it was cool that when you have the strap on, the machine will also automatically provide your heart rate too, you don't have to hold on to the sensors. I was keeping an eye on what the heart rate on the machine said compared to the heart rate monitor on my wrist, and 99% of the time it was spot on, if it wasn't spot on, it was just off by like 1 or 2 numbers. However, I was surprised to see how off the machines are regarding calories burned! After working out on the treadmill, the machine had OVERestimated my burned calories by about 40 or so. On the other hand, after working out on the elliptical, the machine had UNDERestimated my burned calories by about 70! And I didn't even do my regular workout, which is usually an hour on one or the other. I'd think that when doing my usual workout length, that number would be way off by the time I was done. I'm glad I got it, I'm hoping that by being able to pinpoint accurately what I'm burning, I'll be able to get off this plateau I seem to be on! :smile:

So if anyone was thinking about getting one, I'd say go for it...this one is easy, inexpensive, and I got it within four business days (so don't spring for the extra shipping charges...I opted for the free shipping but still got it very quickly!)

Replies

• MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Yeah - the True Striders at my gym say about 800 calories in 45 minutes and my Polar says 350-450. WAY different! I knew it was going to be off, but it killed me to see how much! I was expecting maybe 200 calories high, but it is usually double...
  • newmex
    newmex Posts: 15
    Options
    Very cool, I use one now that I must push the button which I feel distracts me from my workout especially when I am trying to BRING IT, I am looking into the rebok HRM with strap. Good luck with yours, I bet you will enjoy it.

-Chris
  • newmex
    newmex Posts: 15
    Options
    OH, I would so like a polar F11 but a little out of my $$ range like 130. I believe the rebok I am looking at now is 65.

-Chris
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    OH, I would so like a polar F11 but a little out of my $$ range like 130. I believe the rebok I am looking at now is 65.

-Chris

Check Amazon and Buy.com ... you might be able to get it for $30.
  • toots99
    Options
    From what I read, the one I have (link is in the first post) is the same as the Reebok monitor. It was $30 total with free shipping.
  • planetcitygirl73
    planetcitygirl73 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I got my Omron heart rate monitor for $32 and it works great for me. It's not as fancy for the others, so that means it doesn't calculate calories burned, but if you want to just keep track of your heart rate, that's the way to go if you don't want to buy the over $100.
  • Sexythighz
    Sexythighz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar RS300! I love everythng about it! It was on the pricey side but great investment!

Steph
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Very cool, I use one now that I must push the button which I feel distracts me from my workout especially when I am trying to BRING IT, I am looking into the rebok HRM with strap. Good luck with yours, I bet you will enjoy it.

-Chris

I have the same one posted, and it is EXACTLY the same as the Reebok.
  • laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options

-Chris

I have the same one posted, and it is EXACTLY the same as the Reebok.
    Is this the one that was on woot a few weeks ago? I was so excited when I received it in the mail, but a day later, I dislocated my shoulder and haven't been able to work out since.
    How do you like it? Is it pretty accurate? I'm hoping that I'll be back in the swing of things within the next couple of weeks. I miss my 30 Day Shred!
  • toots99
    Options
    I'm not sure if it was the same one, but I do remember the post about one of them being on woot.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Is this the one that was on woot a few weeks ago? I was so excited when I received it in the mail, but a day later, I dislocated my shoulder and haven't been able to work out since.
    How do you like it? Is it pretty accurate? I'm hoping that I'll be back in the swing of things within the next couple of weeks. I miss my 30 Day Shred!

Yep, it is. I really like it! I had one that was just a wrist watch... no chest strap. This is sooo much more convenient than that. It seems pretty acurate. The heart rate is spot on with my elliptical machine. The calorie count is a little different than my old one, and way off from what the machines tell me. However, it is pretty close to what the MFP database calculates for me. I've been using it with the 30 Day Shred right now too, and it is exactly what I needed to go with it. It took me a little bit of playing to figure out the controls, but not too bad. Have fun with it!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I love having my HRM. I got the Polar f4 (I think) with chest strap. I picked it up for 59 bucks at Target. So far it's really great for my workouts. It has an alarm to let me know when I'm 'out of zone' so I can pick it up or slow it down as needed.

We're going to the lake this weekend and I can't wait to try it out while swimming across the lake. Should be fun!