Help! blister on the side of my foot after running

Options
Help, anyone know what I can do I have a blister on the side of each foot after 4.5 mile run :( I have really good Nike running shoes. does anyone use any special socks? or do anything special prior to a run?

sore feet = no bueno :(

Replies

• Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Two things that have worked well for my soccer and football playing boys:

1) Body Glide or similar product, available at most athletic stores. If you google "blister glide" it will bring up plenty of info
    2) "slippery socks" - available at athletic stores too - the ones my boys said work best are thin, slippery socks that you wear in addition to your regular socks. They were worth the price to keep the skin on their feet!

Good luck!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My BF used to sell athletic shoes at a sporting goods store. I asked him about your problem, and he says that your shoes weren't fitted properly to your feet if you are having enough friction in them to blister you.

He says they can be as high a quality shoe as you want them to be... & you can buy high-end running socks, & tape your feet, & try all kinds of different tricks & tactics...

But you can't make the shoe the right size.

You need something wider.
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Your shoes are not right for you if you got a blister after 4.5mi Personally I hate to run in Nike shoes.

All running shoes were not made equal, go to a store that specializes in running shoes and they will fit you. The shoe should feel good from the first time you put it on with no breaking them in. It may cost a bit more for the first pair but worth it. Once you know what shoe is right for you, you can order them online from places like roadrunnersports.com for less.

Get a half size bigger than you normally wear.

Get synthetic socks, dry wicking... Does not have to be expensive. It's the material that counts. I have some friends who run in two pair of thin socks because they are prone to blisters.

If you are serious about putting in miles..... Take care of your feet!
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have a job in the summer where I have to be out walking for 10 to 12 hours, a co-worker told me the best way to avoid blisters is to use vasoline on your feet before you put socks on. It creates a barrier between your skin and the sock and helps keep mositure away from the skin. It feels odd at first, but when I finally tried it I had no blisters and my feet were soft. :) good luck!!
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :) off to the store I go. My plan is to run a half marathon!! Must find the right shoes :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Help, anyone know what I can do I have a blister on the side of each foot after 4.5 mile run :( I have really good Nike running shoes. does anyone use any special socks? or do anything special prior to a run?

sore feet = no bueno :(

Hi

Have you tried double layer socks? Copy and paste the website below and take a look, they may help you. Two layers, that rub on each other instead of one layer of sock rubbing on your skin. They are more expensive than normal socks, but if they help prevent blisters, they could be invaluable. 1000 mile fusion socks.

http://www.firstaid4sport.co.uk/1000-Mile-Fusion-Double-Layer-Sports-Sock-PTH2028M/
  • stolenusername
    Options
    Agreed on the double layer socks. I have the same problem and getting some hiking/walking socks solved the problem.
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    I run 10 milers about 2-3 times a week.....I keep blisters....
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Your shoes are not right for you if you got a blister after 4.5mi Personally I hate to run in Nike shoes.

This. I used to get blisters all the time running. I finally got my feet 'fit' for proper shoes and even after the first run with the new shoes I had no blisters or discomfort. I also use 'wicking' socks now, too. Makes another huge difference.