calories burned while waiting tables?

Options
I was wondering if anyone knew off hand about how manly calories a server in a busy restaurant would burn off in an hour? I've been adding "walking at a slow pace" into my exercises but I don't think that it's accurate. Any ideas?

Replies

• glittersoul
    Options
    When you set up your goals for weight loss you choose your activity level. Since it is something you are doing on a regular basis just pick the level that fits your work and log additional exercise you do.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I am def in agreement with glitter. Your lifestyle option should prob be to active, because of all that walking-picking up heavy things etc .

It really is physical work :)!
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I agree with Glitter and Awesome Joe. I am a server in a VERY busy restaurant and I work long shifts and am running all day. I don't log this as exercise, I just have my lifestyle settings set accordingly. MFP factors it into the formula.

Lucy :)
  • volant021
    Options
    thanks guys...appriciate the feedback!
  • Tip20
    Tip20 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm brand new today here and I'm very excited about this site and associated apps!

Also, sorry to dredge up an older thread, but it addresses my question perfectly. Here is my situation:

I work at an extremely busy restaurant 2-3 days a week, 8-10 hours with no break. The rest of the week I do web design and would considder my life sedentary. So I guess you could say I'm sort of a hybrid. Lol

In this case, how would you adjust your settings/exercise?

Thanks a heap!

Tom
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hi Tom, welcome to the site. In your case I would probably choose "Lightly Active" as a happy medium between sedentary and active.

Good luck!
  • Marizzle23
    Options
    You can adjust your lifestyle option, but when I waited tables I would wear a pedometer just because I wanted to know how far i was walking, especially on those Friday and Saturday night shifts :)
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You can adjust your lifestyle option, but when I waited tables I would wear a pedometer just because I wanted to know how far i was walking, especially on those Friday and Saturday night shifts :)

great idea I wait tables in the summer and I considered doing that too
  • Tip20
    Tip20 Posts: 10
    Options
    Yeah, I think the lightly active is probably the best setting for now, on average. Thanks for the input and welcome guys!

I have always wanted to try a pedometer at work, it has to be many thousands of steps - stairs too!

Tom
  • lolawayne88
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm in the same boat. I work at a very large, very busy restaurant where I log 30-40 hours a week on my feet, going from tables to kitchen to bar. On top of this, I go to the gym pretty much every day, where I aim to do 60 minutes of cardio, plus some additional strength training that usually adds on another hour.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I should consider myself 'Active' or 'Very Active.' They consider waitressing as an 'active' job, but with my additional workouts, is that enough to push me to the next level? I'm still trying to figure out exactly how many calories I need in a day to keep me satisfied while still losing weight. My BMR is 1522 (not including any of my activities), but it seems like I always end up eating around 2000 calories. Any advice would be much appreciated!
  • matisse216
    Options
    My I suggest investing in a bitfit zip?
    http://www.fitbit.com/uk/zip
    Very accurate and fun way to track your calories.
    You pretty much clip it on yourself and it monitors steps taken, calories burnt and distance travelled.
    I am going to buy one tomorrow, they are on sale at curry's pc world if you are in the UK.

There is an upgrade that also monitors sleep quality and length.
    But the zip should be fine for you.

Also, you can link it straight to myfitnesspal by bluetooth!
    Really easy setup.

Let me know if you get one!
    Personally I think they are great for the price.

Goodluck!
  • lolawayne88
    Options
    This looks awesome! I think this might be just what I need to figure out where I'm at. And they even sell them at the Best Buy near my house! I have to go pay my bill anyway, so I might as well pick one up on the way to the gym. Thank you!
  • lolawayne88
    Options
    Oh my goodness - what an interesting learning experience I had tonight! I bought the Fitbit Zip this afternoon, and then I wore it to my very, very busy shift at the restaurant. I worked from 4:00 to about 11:00, and during that time, I walked 8.45 miles! My overall amount of calories burned was 3379, 1147 of which synced to MFP as activity. I guess maybe my body really does need more calories...

I definitely recommend this to anyone who has a very active job! It is extremely helpful :)
  • Redangelusmc
    Options
    Here is a good estimate for those who, like me, are Weekend Server Warriors, and work a 9-5 M-F.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/295244-how-many-calories-does-waitressing-burn/

I know when I didn't have two jobs and was serving 40-60 hrs a week I felt like I burned more, especially when working outside during the hot summer months!