is there such thing as too much exercise

Options
ive have only just started losing weight and exercising and have a long way to go yet, at the moment i am doing 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the evening of my exercise bike. im also waiting for my new cross trainer to be delivered.

what i wanted to know is, is it ok to exercise everyday or should we have one day where we dont do any and rest ourselves, beacause i would prefer to do it as often as i can

Replies

• shazamonster
    Options
    Here's what I found...
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercisehealth/a/toomuchexercise.htm

I am training everyday at the moment but only 30 mins to 45 mins a day. So far I'm feeling good! If I've pushed myself real hard and the next day I wake up with muscle pain I usually take a day off. Not sure if I'm doing the right thing but so far it seems to be working for me.
  • shazamonster
    Options
    Oh and here's another one that sums it up well:
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2011/09/09/3314435.htm
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. A case of someone exercising too much is exercise "purging" where they are aiming to burn the same amount of calories they consumed in food, or more, to create a huge deficit. They are pushing themselves and running on empty and it's disordered and unhealthy.

But if you are eating a balanced diet and enough to sustain the amount of exercise you do, I'd say no. Your cardio routine is definitely not too much to do every day, or how ever many days without burning yourself out. When you lift weights, you do have to wait a day for your muscles to repair before working the same group of muscles again. I think most people would recommend 1 rest day a week to avoid burnout, but doing an hour of cardio every day is definitely not too much.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I think some can push it too far, but that level varies from person to person. Now that it's become a habit I exercise almost daily in some form now and feel guilty when I don't. But if I'm sore or exhausted I let my body recover. 3 days on, one day off is a good schedule for many. Every couple of weeks I take two days off and I can feel the difference-my knees do appreciate it :)

Listen to your body and it will often tell you what it needs.....
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I need rest days, myself. I exercise properly Monday-Friday, do something gentle on Saturday and give myself Sunday off completely (though usually end up doing something gentle anyway).

I find over the course of a week I find it harder and harder, end up with more and more muscle pain and get slower and slower. I also start losing motivation. A weekend without exercise on my mind gives my mind and body a chance to recharge, making my exercise much better the following week.
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    thankyou for ur comments so far, they are all very helpful :flowerforyou: :happy: :heart:
  • Fififantastic
    Options
    I feel good when I exercise, not just physically, but also emotionally. I think that ' If It Feels Good - Do it' and if it feels good and its good for you and your body, then do it EVERY DAY. Im finding that if I do something every day that involves getting up and moving my body I feel better, more confident, more energised and positive. Sometimes it's a gentle walk or doing stuff in the garden, sometimes mountain biking through rough terrain, dancing or doing zumba or smashing my body around (in a good way) at roller derby training, whatever it is as long as I'm MOVING MY BODY.
    I know this doesnt really answer the question " Is there such a thing as too much exercise" but I just wanted to share my thoughts on what " exercise " means to me. :smile:
  • witchywillow
    Options
    no thats great, wat u said makes sense and thankyou :happy:
  • witchywillow
    Options
    I think some can push it too far, but that level varies from person to person. Now that it's become a habit I exercise almost daily in some form now and feel guilty when I don't. But if I'm sore or exhausted I let my body recover. 3 days on, one day off is a good schedule for many. Every couple of weeks I take two days off and I can feel the difference-my knees do appreciate it :)

thankyou, that is a big help and really sounds sensible :happy:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I was going to say. Sometimes, we also make exercise and dieting an obsession of the mind, and we feel that if we do not exercise, then we are doing something wrong.This is where it gets unhealthy, both in body and the mind. Resting our bodies is as important as exercising it.

If you have worked out 6 or more days in a row, and are tired and muscles ache, take a day off, just be more aware of what you are eating that day.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Every exercise plan I've seen has at least one rest day a week.